Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
A/C Or EasyTouch Problem?

I installed the MicroAir Easy Touch thermostat in my motorhome back in August and really like it.

We replaced the bedroom A/C unit (under warranty) in October and on our first camping trip since we've had a problem with the bedroom A/C cycling off almost immediately once the compressor starts.

This leads me to believe it's a problem with the install or the brand new A/C unit itself. HOWEVER, there is an anomaly with the thermostat during this cycle and leads to questions about the thermostat.

Here's the issue: I turn on the bedroom A/C with the Easy Touch thermostat and the fan starts right up. In 3 or so minutes the A/C compressor starts up and it begins to run. Then everything shuts down, fan and compressor within perhaps 15 seconds.

After a minute or so the fan starts back up and then another 3+ mins or so the compressor kicks in and the same thing happens again when everything stops after about 15 sec of compressor running.

OK, that sounds like a problem with the new A/C unit... right? But, I've found that during this process the thermostat goes from thinking the bedroom is warm enough for the A/C to run as set - but then the thermostat changes it's reading of the inside temp by 40 degrees or more. For example, if the temp in the room is 85 and the thermostat is set for 72 the A/C turns on. But when this on/off cycle happens the thermostat shows the inside temp at 47 degrees.

I shot a video of the process that shows this temp change on the thermostat. I started the video with the fan running and the compressor just starting. You'll see the inside temp in the upper left hand corner is about 87 degrees. Then the compressor and fan shut down and the thermostat shows in the inside temp to be in the 40's. A few moments later the inside temp returns to the 80's and the fan starts up again.

So, is it the A/C unit, the installation wiring, or the thermostat? Obviously, if the thermostat is reporting a temp in the 40s it's going to shut down the A/C completely.

I have an appointment to have this checked out by the installing repair shop in about 10-days. So, I'm asking here and I'll ask on Easy Touch support before that appointment date arrives.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I attempted the MicroAir replacement and finally sent it back for a refund. I found the touch pad quirky and did not work right. I went back to my old Coleman thermostat.

It is a great idea, but I think it still needs some refinement. Maybe in another year with a generation 2.

Ken
Old 12-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

I have the Easy touch and like it even though it does have some quirks, it has been pretty reliable as far as the thermostat itself, the app however has not been the most reliable and needs some work.

Looks to be an issue with inside temp reading, it thinks its 48 and shuts the ac off. Is it a multizone unit? Looks like it, so inside temp sensors may be elsewhere not in thermostat. My unit is just the simple Coleman on/off controls and the inside temp sensor is in the unit, if mine was doing that I would say the Easy-touch is the problem, on yours if the temp sensors are remote one of them could be bad or the commutation between them is having issues. Not sure if temp sensors go through ac unit then to Easytouch on a bus, if so could be something in the new roof unit.

Did you make sure and check for updates in the app, they seem to make regular updates for the thermostat which they annoyingly don't list fixes/changes for, but may have fixed a software issue, one came through just a few days ago for me.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I attempted the MicroAir replacement and finally sent it back for a refund.
I used this thermostat on a 2,300 mile month long trip to Colorado in Sept and it worked flawlessly. I love it and have had zero issues with it UNTIL the new replacement A/C unit was installed.

I know the Easy Touch can and does work great. I just wonder if the install of the new A/C unit wasn't wired correctly or if there is some other issue with way the thermostat works with the new A/C unit (Coleman-Mach 8 Plus).
Old 12-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

Did you put the old thermostat back in and see if the same thing happens? If so, it's the AC, if not, probably the Easy Touch or maybe a voltage drop to the thermostat causing the Easy Touch to act quirky.

We had no problems with ours except for wifi multipath issues (installed in an Airstream).
emdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Is it a multizone unit? Looks like it, so inside temp sensors may be elsewhere not in thermostat.
Yes, it's a dual zone RV with a living room and bedroom A/C unit on the roof. The RV is fully ducted with no A/C unit penetrating the ceiling. There are two temp sensing thermistors in the RV that feed the inside temps to the A/C units and thermostat.

If it wasn't for the inside temp change showing in the thermostat I'd be sure that the problem is with the new A/C unit itself.

It's possible that the bedroom temp sensor has stopped working but it's pretty coincidental that it happened immediately after the install of the replacement A/C unit.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It's possible that the bedroom temp sensor has stopped working but it's pretty coincidental that it happened immediately after the install of the replacement A/C unit.
Yeah looks like the temp sensor runs through the control box located in inside the roof unit which does temp reading and controls the ac itself, they have a digital bus that all roof units and wall thermostat are on to allow communication so most likely its an issue with control box or it wiring in the new unit although I wouldn't rule out a software in the easy touch, just unlikely based on the recent roof unit swap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 12.52.41 PM.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	350542
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #8

The temperature sensor wiring goes to the Mach 8 controller that's in the ceiling. It does not go directly to the thermostat. Given that the temperature at the thermostat changes after the fan and compressor turn on suggests that the vibration from the running unit is causing an intermittent connection between the temperature sensor and the HVAC unit. You can see the screw terminals when you remove the plastic ceiling cover. There are two terminals marked "Room" that are wired to the temperature sensor. They may be loose. There isn't any high voltage AC present at any of these screw terminals so no worries. The Easy Touch does not have a temperature sensor in it at all if it's a multi zone thermostat like yours.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:13 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been leaning toward the wiring installation of the A/C. The guy that installed my A/C seemed a little befuddled about how to install everything. The shop is great and they have some really knowledgeable techs, but this guy was new to me and the shop boss and I were surprised how long it took him to R&R a rooftop A/C.

I didn't think the thermostat had a sensor - but wasn't sure.

Thanks all.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Circling back with the solution to this problem.

The dealer that installed the bedroom A/C under warranty found that the Coleman-Mach factory had improperly installed the condensate drain pump on the unit. This caused condensate to accumulate inside the unit and when the water got high enough it shorted the wiring in the control box.

They R&R'd the pump and properly installed it and the issue has been fixed.

I had noticed that this issue appeared all the time when the A/C was in constant use but if the RV had been in storage a while it only appeared after about 45-60 mins of use . This fits perfectly with what they found. Once the condensate backed up the issue was constant. But if the RV sat in storage and dried out it took about an hour to fill up with water and cause the issue to start again.

One nice thing is all of this was covered under the original warranty install and didn't cost me anything to diagnose or fix.

Tags
problem