Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 08:00 AM   #1

A/C quit working

Just got back from 3 day trip in our 2017 winnebago Vista 35 lx. Used both ac every day. We get home and back ac wont come on. I hear clicking from roof unit when I move thermostat to different selections, also I have a extra new coleman stat so I tried it, nope nothing, still hear clicking from roof, on fan , no humming nothing. Im open for suggest ions. Ill get in roof today and looks at connections. On yes breakers are good and fuses, funny thing was at came on once and worked great, then we moved stat from in top auto then it quit.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing to check are your capacitors. They are pretty cheap to replace. While you are on the roof with the top off, check to see that you are getting power to everything?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #3

Good advice from Txiceman.
Check also for a bad connection.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:11 AM   #4

I called my RV shop and he too said capacitor before I finished my story. I found no lose connections, fan spun freely ,condenser was clean. So ordered both capacitors. Ill let all know first of them week.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #5

What part nos of capacitor

Hello

Whats the part nos for capacitor and wheres a good place to get it?
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #6

Fan 1499-5461
Run 1499-5761
Got both from amazon, just got both on Tuesday ill try and replace Wednesday, ill share results.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #7

New capasitors

Well installed both capasitors and no dice!! So I smacked the housing that covers evaporator and i saw fan move a little, hum? So smacked it again and it came on like it should. Go figure?? So unplugged ALL connector.at controller And looked at all wires, so turned it off at thermostat and back on and it still working. Left it running and will check on it in a few. Now a question it ran for about 5 minutes and it felt controller one part of it felt hot, it that normal? I can get one for around 80 bucks, what do you folks think, spend the money on controller or wait n see if it quits again after checking connections.???
Old 06-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

What ever you "smacked" has a loose or corroded connection. Since it caused both air conditioners to work or not work, it is probably the master control device. The slave air conditioner is probably not the cause.

It could be a loose wire. It could be a relay with arc damaged contacts. Intermittent failures are the hardest to diagnose. It is likely the problem will return sooner or later.

Likely the relay has a 12 volt control circuit. It clicks when 12 volts is applied. However, the relay controls 120 volts to both air conditioners. It could be the relay contacts or it could be some where in the 120 volt wires the relay is connected to.

Find the relay. Next time the air conditioners refuse to run, measure the voltage on the 120 volt connectors.
If neither are hot, the problem is on the shore power side of the circuit.
If one is hot and the other is not, the problem is the relay itself.
If both are hot, the problem is on the controller output side of the circuits.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:22 AM   #9

My electrical knowledge is limited I did see a small square relay with it least 5 different wires going to it mounted in area as capasitors, I did tap it with a screwdriver several times, had no effect. Anyway its did quit again and still.hear clicks from roof top as I move thermostat. So Im spending 85.00 for a what I called a controller box thats same area as evaporator, wont get hear till then 6th, ill keep all posted. Its down time Forbes right now so thats good, as im fixing to due radiation for men issues. The big C in my little acorn , gives me other things to thank about. Take care for now
Old 07-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #10

AC quit update

Still waiting on new control box for coleman mach 3. But today I turned ac for roof but still not working, got on roof went to expose control box in evaporator enclosure as im pulling back sheet metal AC comes on, so I carefully inspect and shack all wires ect, still.running! So I unplugged power going to roof unit and removed and opened control box, and there it was ! On one side theres a separate board with 6 wires going to it, a friend of mine called it a fork, he is a electrician, common ground board I guess. Anyway a big white wire was burnt an barely hanging in. He advised me sometimes after several years that can happen and just replace box and not to worry. Guess we'll see. So I've invested about 170.00 in parts so far, if this fixes it ill be happy thinking repair shop would of been a minimum of 300.00 if not 500.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #11

Update

Something to share, got new control. It had no plugins for thermostat wires and had Airxcel on it, so I figured its incorrect so I returned it. Called Airxcel they advised me it does look different and that inside box theres a plastic bag with a plugin that goes into controller and i have to splice thermostat wires there. Why no instructions ? Come with it i have not a clue. Come to find out even though its a Coleman Mach 15000 Airxcel makes this part. So I wonder is it a new design for some reason? Or universal? New control his on its way, illnlet all know.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #12

Fixed

Final update, new controls for rear AC fixed the issue, ended up with an extra yellow wire for gas heater which doesnt matter cuz front thermostat runs the gas heater.. So 150.00 later im happy.