Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
A/C Shroud Cover Foam

My dometic penguin low profile (lp) shroud cover disintegrated and had to put a new one on. I bought an Icon brand off Amazon. Much thicker BUT it did not come with the foam tape kit. Of course the old foam came off and was bad. I am trying to find a kit OR the width/thickness/density of the foam that is used on a/c's.
Any input would be appreciated. BTW, I have used the search tool.

Thanks, Bob
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
My dometic penguin low profile (lp) shroud cover disintegrated and had to put a new one on. I bought an Icon brand off Amazon. Much thicker BUT it did not come with the foam tape kit. Of course the old foam came off and was bad. I am trying to find a kit OR the width/thickness/density of the foam that is used on a/c's.
Any input would be appreciated. BTW, I have used the search tool.

Thanks, Bob
When mine fell apart and blew off the RV, (Mother's day 2020, in a blinding rain and high winds in my driveway...) I ordered the same cover from Amazon, it didn't come with the foam, either... So, I was off to the Big Box*mart for 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" high density sticky back foam (the gray stuff...)

I put a light duty, double sided tape on the A/C unit (just enough to hold the new foam in place... (only in spots too...) I put the foam on the double sided tape, with the paper and sticky side facing up to the new cover... pulled off the protective paper and gently put the cover on the A/C unit (if you can get a helper it is a lot easier...) For the most part it stuck where it was supposed to... (when I pulled the cover off I had to press a few spots down to get them to really stick.)

Here are a few more tips to make it easier...
If you still have the old cover (or in my case, parts of it...) look at the pattern of where the old foam went. That makes a good starting point.
If you don't have the old cover, look at your A/C unit and look for "wear marks" where the old foam rubbed on the A/C unit...

Also, before you press the cover on to the new foam that is held in place with the double stick tape, wash the pattern area with alcohol (denatured, not the good rum...) to get a good bond...
(Bonding with Rum comes later... ;-) )

Good Luck
Bob
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #3

I don't know if this foam placement was factory , or if an owner had decided that attached to the cover wasn't the best place for it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DuoThermPenguinAir001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	332111  
Old 06-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I bought some pipe insulation (looks like pool noodles) split it down the center and glued it in place with silicone.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I don't know if this foam placement was factory , or if an owner had decided that attached to the cover wasn't the best place for it .
Skip, last time I was in a couple of mine, some of the foam was stuck to the unit, some to the cover.
Next time I have the covers off, I'm just going to tape it all to the unit, like in your photo.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, here goes. I spoke with a tech at an RV repair place and explained my predicament. Here's the answer I got. The foam is there for anti rattle purposes.
My thought is that it is there to basically seal the unit so air flow goes the way it is intended too.

Anyway I will get some from a big box store and see how it works. Also the Icon cover has no vents in it.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your thought is right.

It's to direct the air through the condenser coils.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks again to all. This morning I got up on the roof before the temp reached 100. I replaced a connector because the outer plastic was screwed up. I then used the picture from above to put new foam on/in.
Put the shroud on around 9:30 this am. Still running at almost 6:30 pm. So the foam obviously makes a huge difference.
BTW the temp here is 112.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You can use foam weatherstrip from Lowes or HD!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks. I did get it from home depot and installed per my post.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #11

112F in mid June , is a good reason to look at Idaho for the rest of the summer .

JMHO: of course
Old 06-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
112F in mid June , is a good reason to look at Idaho for the rest of the summer .

JMHO: of course
I just ask my wife what the heck are we doing here. Where you at in Idaho?
Old 06-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
I just ask my wife what the heck are we doing here. Where you at in Idaho?
I'm north of the 49th , coast of BC . Idaho is about as far north as you can get for the time being ; Canada /USA border still closed . But if I was American , I'd be sitting in a lakeshore RV park site in Idaho , or North West Montana; Flathead Lake area; rather than dealing with 110+ temps . Last I looked at Vegas and Phoenix, with excessive heat warnings and set to break temp records for June , I'd be on the road out of there . Checked my snowbird park around Parker AZ , at 10pm last night 101.

Very pleasant 25c , (80f), here this afternoon with a light breeze off the Straight of Georgia. Clouds building over Vancouver Island as the snow continues to melt .
Forecast is for similar temps for the next 10 days . Just right for this snowbird.

Tags
cover