Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

A new water heater obsevation

I run my WH strickly on Propane being a season site and the cost of electricity. Propane is cheap around here. Did the math.

Anyway, I been thinking about the statement that you can run the electric at the same time as the gas on the WH. Now. for the sake of argument I will agree with that. You can have both on with no damage. However, my thought on jt is that in reality, they both will not come on ay the same time and here is why. I very well may be wrong but here goes.

There are 2 thermostats with a plus or minus accuracy of X degrees one way or the other. I dought seriously they are exactly the same. Let us say the gas comes on first and starts heating the water. What is going to turn on the electric if it has a lower preset temp say 2 degrees. The gas being on is gonna heat the water and keep the electric from turning on yes? What are your thoughts on this??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #2

If you exchange the water faster then the gas can heat it, the water temp can drop enough to kick in the second thermostat.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

WE use both when showering or washing dishes. We only have a 6 gallon tank. When it is be used heavily the water temp will drop substantially what with all the cold makeup water being added. They both run. It makes a noticeable difference. And hasn't hurt anything in 3-4 years. A factory tech told us to do this.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

You can use both, and with a long high use of hot water they both will come on and your recovery time will be faster, hence longer time before you run out of hot water. When we had the Baystar, the electric would come on first, and always keep the water hot with low useage. But take a long shower and the electric couldn’t keep up and the gas would also kick on. Almost like a tankless heater, it heats as you use the hot water. But you will run out with a long shower as they both can’t keep up with a long high demand.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cavey,

Your electric heating element will come on at the same time the propane does. You can verify this using an amp probe on a vom, or in my case I can look at my ems and it will show approx 12 to 14 amp draw- both at the surge protector and inside at the Intellitec display.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

when parked with FHU we leave the WH on elec to save on consumables. when one of us completes a shower i’ll engage the gas WH to shorten recovery time. how do i know borh are operating simultaneously? i can see the amp draw on the electric side and i can hear the sound of the burner igniting on the gas side.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #7

Suburban uses two sets of t-stats....one 120V AC/electric & one 12V DC/propane.
Yes there can be 'variances' in those t-stats
Both sets are rated at 130*F/OPEN and 100*F/CLOSE
IF both switches are turned ON.........you will find that both operate at same time.
rarely will you find enough spread in temp settings that only one functions

Atwood........since 2004 all models use ONE set so both electric/propane are controlled by same set of t-stats so both come on/off same time
140*F/OPEN & 110*F/CLOSE standard models
160*F/OPEN and 130*F/CLOSE EXT Models (mixing valve set for 130*F output)

Either Brand Recovery rates (initial fill cold)
Electric ---- ~6 gal/hr
Propane --- ~10 gal/hr
BOTH ------ ~16 gal/hr
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater