Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Absorption frig condenser fan addition?

Our older rig has a Norcold mounted in the slide. It's always worked well but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add an auxiliary fan to help circulate air across the condenser tubing. I know most people install the fan(s) above but I decided to just install inside the lower hatch and let it push air upwards. It's a very low volume pc case type fan.

My question. The oem built in fan is thermostatically controlled. I wired the new fan to run anytime the refrigerator is turned on. Besides the obvious wear tear on the little fan, is there any problem letting it run continuously?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In cold weather, you should turn off the extra fan.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
It's easy to add a thermostat switch when you wire the new fan in. This is what I did when I added a fan to the fridge vent on our previous Jayco unit. You can find them on Amazon for ~$15.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #4

Reason OEM is mounted above the absorber tube bundle and thermostat controlled is fans pull air in 'thru' the tube bundle and then directly push the air flow up thru the condenser fins
Thermostat senses condenser FIN temps....turn on when FIN temp reaches 130*F and back off when FIN temp drops to 115*F
*Temps above 130*F and less condensing of hot ammonia vapor
*Temps below 115*F and natural air flow is sufficient for condensing the hot ammonia vapor

When ambient air temps drop below 50*F enhanced airflow is not needed.........at that temp a 'heat load' can help (LAT/Low Ambient Temp System IE: some fridges have a switch that turns on the interior light to cause heat load so duration of cooling cycles is extended)

Although not the best location for additional fans you should install a on/off switch OR another thermostat on condenser fin
Either case....should have an in-line fuse (1A) close to where you tied into the DC Power

Thermostat -----Norcold 618093 (works on ANY Brand fridge)
$14 on-line
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

For now, I inserted the small fan wires into the existing spade connections that lead to the oem fan. They're only hot when the frig is switched on. I realized I would need to de-energize the fan in cooler temps so have it to where it's easy to do just that. My initial thinking was that it would be ok to just let it run when outside air temperatures were above, say 75°.

Controlling the fan with a thermostat or snap disc is something I originally thought about. To maybe help with wear and tear on the oem fan, I thought it might be good if it closed before the oem fan snap disc closed. I wasn't exactly sure how to accomplish that.

Again, the frig works fine as is. My thinking is the little extra air flow might just help the old 19 year old go another 19 years.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #6

We added an ARP Fridge Defend to our Norcold, along with stack fans and interior refrigerator fans. Check out the resources at their web site.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #7

Thought I'd throw in an update. Note, there are variables and this was not a real accurate test.

Had initially installed the fan without any kind of thermostat. Left it unpowered until temps got hot enough for the oem fan to come on. Outside temp was around to 80°F with the sun hitting the side. Powered up the fan, checked an hour or two later, and found that the oem fan had stopped running. Outside temp about the same. Next day, wired up the fan to run before the oem fan came on. Air temp about the same as the day before. Monitored off and on, oem fan never came on.

Went 7 more days, powering on only when temps got to above 70°, and never heard the oem fan come on.

Got home and ended up ordering a cheapy thermostat. Installed but i have not had a chance to see how well it works. The the stat's specs show a wide differential (hysteresis) of around 7°C which may make it difficult to make work with my application. Will trial and error it with different settings the next time we go out. My attempt is to use it to measure air temp inside the cavity, not the refrigerant tubing temperature. May have to try something else if that doesn't work sufficiently.

Here's an image of my installation. Fan is mounted at the top, thermostat is the little box at the bottom left. Wired into existing oem fan wiring.

Edited to add: Didn't have a thermometer but did note that the ice cream was not as soft as usual.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Thought I'd throw in an update. Note, there are variables and this was not a real accurate test.

Had initially installed the fan without any kind of thermostat. Left it unpowered until temps got hot enough for the oem fan to come on. Outside temp was around to 80°F with the sun hitting the side. Powered up the fan, checked an hour or two later, and found that the oem fan had stopped running. Outside temp about the same. Next day, wired up the fan to run before the oem fan came on. Air temp about the same as the day before. Monitored off and on, oem fan never came on.

Went 7 more days, powering on only when temps got to above 70°, and never heard the oem fan come on.

Got home and ended up ordering a cheapy thermostat. Installed but i have not had a chance to see how well it works. The the stat's specs show a wide differential (hysteresis) of around 7°C which may make it difficult to make work with my application. Will trial and error it with different settings the next time we go out. My attempt is to use it to measure air temp inside the cavity, not the refrigerant tubing temperature. May have to try something else if that doesn't work sufficiently.

Here's an image of my installation. Fan is mounted at the top, thermostat is the little box at the bottom left. Wired into existing oem fan wiring.

Edited to add: Didn't have a thermometer but did note that the ice cream was not as soft as usual.

If you cannot adjust the temp and it is a Dometic . Go on line and look up thermistor for Dometic . There is a thermostat for sale about 25 real easy to install in fridge . It has a small dial it will freeze your fridge . Been using it for theee years no problem .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
If you cannot adjust the temp and it is a Dometic . Go on line and look up thermistor for Dometic . There is a thermostat for sale about 25 real easy to install in fridge . It has a small dial it will freeze your fridge . Been using it for theee years no problem .
Have no trouble adjusting the cooling temp inside the frig, that's always worked well. My attempt here was to maybe make the cooling/heating exchange process on the condenser side of the frig more efficient on those warmer days. Maybe even save some wear and tear on the oem fan.

Also thinking that the new fan might provide enough air flow to keep things running if the oem ever died.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Have no trouble adjusting the cooling temp inside the frig, that's always worked well. My attempt here was to maybe make the cooling/heating exchange process on the condenser side of the frig more efficient on those warmer days. Maybe even save some wear and tear on the oem fan.

Also thinking that the new fan might provide enough air flow to keep things running if the oem ever died.
I added fans for the same reason and also determined that while I had OEM fans, the thermostat wasn't working. Thanks to Old-Biscuit, I ended up with this...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/dome...ns-443726.html
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #11

Being in TX in the summer, with normal temps 100 degF and more, I also added a fan in the upper area and control it manually - and it does help, but not enough. So I added 2 JRRefrigeration clip-on fans to the inside fins, and that was the answer. My big problem now is during non-summer days the fridge is freezing with inside fans ON! But in summer, I'm lucky to keep the fridge at or below 40 degF. Once you open one of the doors, there goes the temp.....
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I added fans for the same reason and also determined that while I had OEM fans, the thermostat wasn't working. Thanks to Old-Biscuit, I ended up with this...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/dome...ns-443726.html
I like the looks of your installation, and yes, Old Biscuit knows his stuff!

For mine, I knew beforehand that the fan would probably be more efficient pulling air across the coil. But since this was just meant to aid air flow in the hotter months, I went ahead and installed to push air upwards,, (easier to do with power available close by).

You stated that you were letting ambient air temperature control the fans. Has this worked out well, and if so, what kind of thermostat are you using? Asking because I'm not all that confident the one I installed is going to control the fan the way I want it to.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I like the looks of your installation, and yes, Old Biscuit knows his stuff!

For mine, I knew beforehand that the fan would probably be more efficient pulling air across the coil. But since this was just meant to aid air flow in the hotter months, I went ahead and installed to push air upwards,, (easier to do with power available close by).

You stated that you were letting ambient air temperature control the fans. Has this worked out well, and if so, what kind of thermostat are you using? Asking because I'm not all that confident the one I installed is going to control the fan the way I want it to.

Thanks!
85 deg thermostat from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse. It’s mounted near the coil but not on it like the OEM. The original fans are mounted about midway on the back of the fridge pushing air up over the coils. The fans I installed are pulling air up over the coils and out the top side vent.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, fan