RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 PM   #15

I had a Dometic replaced in summer of 2013 on previous rig. I went online to Dometic and registered the new one by S/N and they sent confirmation.

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #16

Couple things...

The fine print in most warranties state you may have additional rights....yada yada yada.

One is common is the "stopping clock".

When something stops working while under warranty the clock stops when the manufacturer is advised.

It starts when unit repaired to satisfaction and only when repaired.

So whenever the replacement croaks clock stops again.

Some manufacturers base start on bill of sale while others use serisl number.

Warranty starts when it becomes yours regardless of serial number.

Warranty almost never resets...but...some have their systems setup to start clock on installed date and serial number as entered when registered.

If the replacement was not setup already in the computer then registration with install date and serial number may start a "new" clock as long as one does not broadcast that it is a replacement for warranty...
Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update to the Update

Well...things aren't going as good as I hoped. LOL

The new front AC is making a very annoying buzzing sound. The first day we had it we actually had a chance to use it in the AC mode and it sounded like what we know to be normal. Last night was cool enough to go ahead and run it in the heat pump mode. When in the HP mode it makes a very noticeable buzzing sound.

I have run the unit in fan only mode and no issues. I have run it in the AC mode, no issues.

I'm finding it odd, AGAIN, that it seems to be something that doesn't make sense. I would THINK that as long as the reverser valve is working that there should not be any mechanical changes to how it runs but I don't know that for a fact.

So, the question remains, why is it making the buzzing noise only in the HP mode?

Could it be the reverser valve solenoid maybe? In the AC mode the solenoid is not charged and cold air is provided. Any kind of failure to provide power to the solenoid leaves it in the default AC mode provided the valve doesn't get "stuck" like it did the last time. OTOH, to get heat, the solenoid must be powered up to switch it over to heat pump operations. At least that is the only mechanical difference I am aware of.

The tech will come out tomorrow to see what he can hear.

BTW...except for the noise, the unit appears to be working properly. IR gun shows around 105-110* out of the vent closest to the unit and 102-107 at the furthest one in the same zone.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I had a Dometic replaced in summer of 2013 on previous rig. I went online to Dometic and registered the new one by S/N and they sent confirmation.

RVM1
If that was a purchase to replace an older unit no longer under warrantee then you shouldn't have a problem. OTOH...if that was a warrantee replacement of a previous unit, according to Dometic, you have 2 years from the date of the original unit.

Registering it is nice but if it was a warrantee replacement it will probably have the S/N associated with the previous actions. That doesn't mean it can't fall between the cracks and you get the latest date for your 2 year coverage based on such a case.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #19

About the Dometic warranty. The factory warranty is 2 years, as you know. If you have the unit serviced annually by a licensed tech, with proof of service, the warranty is extended to 3 years. Or was on my 05 Dometic 15.5 and 13.5 units.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any update Don...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well....

The tech was on top of the coach today and heard the noise. The unit runs nice and smoothly in AC but still makes a buzz in HP mode. The unit has a very pronounced vibration in the HP mode that it doesn't in AC.

He will call Dometic tomorrow to see what they say. He is concerned that the vibration is centered on a junction near the reverser valve and that the vibration could cause a leak of refrigerant.

That is all for now. LOL
Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Well....

The tech was on top of the coach today and heard the noise. The unit runs nice and smoothly in AC but still makes a buzz in HP mode. The unit has a very pronounced vibration in the HP mode that it doesn't in AC.

He will call Dometic tomorrow to see what they say. He is concerned that the vibration is centered on a junction near the reverser valve and that the vibration could cause a leak of refrigerant.

That is all for now. LOL
not a good day for being on the roof either.

This sure isn't southern California... rain is tenacious like you. The rain will pass and you will get to the bottom of it.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ANOTHER Reverser Valve Failure?

Well, the tech did some amp measurements. In the heat pump mode it draws 15.7 amps buzzes and vibrates while in in the AC mode draws 9.2 amps and purrs like a kitten. The tech says a 1 maybe 2 amp difference might be normal but 6.5 amps is way more than he has seen.

Next step is seeing what Dometic says.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #24

I would guess valve is not traveling completely to heat mode and is just stopping flow resulting in compressor working harder and more amps
Old 02-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
I would guess valve is not traveling completely to heat mode and is just stopping flow resulting in compressor working harder and more amps
That is my theory.

My experiences and those of my tech are telling me that the reverser valve must be giving Dometic a big headache. At this time it is not field serviceable. I'm concerned that multiple removal and installations of that unit are not good for roof integrity.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #26

Another thought...

If there is a part number on the valve that one could search for source.

It may be that the coil is maybe weak or rated for larger voltage than actual that would result in weaker pull and maybe not enough to fully operate the valve.

Possible to locate source and see what they have to say about it.

Dometic likely sources it from some vendor and maybe that vendor is not best unit...older ones maybe different vendor and less trouble...

If this is case then replacements may also fail as they have been.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Another thought...

If there is a part number on the valve that one could search for source.

It may be that the coil is maybe weak or rated for larger voltage than actual that would result in weaker pull and maybe not enough to fully operate the valve.

Possible to locate source and see what they have to say about it.

Dometic likely sources it from some vendor and maybe that vendor is not best unit...older ones maybe different vendor and less trouble...

If this is case then replacements may also fail as they have been.
That is an interesting suggestion. It certainly might fit into the pattern that the buzzing and vibration doesn't start immediately. Sometimes when the buzzing and vibration starts a few minutes after it has been running it is fairly instant. On a couple times it started a little slow and gradually increased.

Since the newer Dometic systems default to AC if there is a failure to get proper current to the solenoid, or the solenoid itself, it is reasonable that perhaps that solenoid is kicking the valve into the HP mode but as it heats up it is loosing some of its effectiveness.

I'm going toss that out to my tech and see if we can try that first.

THANKS!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #28

I'm following this closely, Don.
I expect my middle unit may need to be replaced. Diagnosed that the compressor is the culprit; won't kick in, power to it was confirmed. Tech is conferring with Dometic. Waiting for a call.

RVM1

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat pump