Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

AC not working

I have a RVP 9000 series heat pump/ac that quit working. I swapped the the start and run capacitors with the other unit but still not working. The fan will run but I believe the compressor has locked up. Has anyone replaced there rooftops and if so, how big of a job is this? I called PPL and of course my unit is no longer available from RVP. They said the replacement is the new Mach 8 unit for $1079.00 + frt. My current units are ducted and run off a RVP multizone thermostat controller system. Looking for info on replacing and purchasing locations.
Thanks.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #2

I replaced mine with a slightly larger unit, 1500 BTU's. Got it from PPL for less than $600. 4 Bolts to take the old one off and install new one.

Coleman RV air conditioning on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Fried Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
They said the replacement is the new Mach 8 unit for $1079.00 + frt.
Hummmm! On their web site they sell the heat pump one for $789 + frt
Their salesman must want to sell you the higher priced low profile one.

Same price from Here only less freight charge

Last June I replaced my rear RVP 11K unit with a 13.5K from PPL myself.
It is easy to do if you have a way to get the AC units up & off the roof.
I had use of of a friends Fork truck to do mine. Also I had another person help to place it on the new gasket.

Now my front AC 13.5K needs replaced. Will replace it with the 15K heat pump one. When I get back in Oct. where the fork truck is.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls461 View Post
I have a RVP 9000 series heat pump/ac that quit working. I swapped the the start and run capacitors with the other unit but still not working. The fan will run but I believe the compressor has locked up. Has anyone replaced there rooftops and if so, how big of a job is this? I called PPL and of course my unit is no longer available from RVP. They said the replacement is the new Mach 8 unit for $1079.00 + frt. My current units are ducted and run off a RVP multizone thermostat controller system. Looking for info on replacing and purchasing locations.
Thanks.

Yes .... the actual mechanical/electrical portion of an install is not difficult. However, do NOT UNDERESTIMATE the difficulty in getting the new unit on the rooftop. It weighs about 100 lb. in the shipping box. Moving it around at ground level is not too hard but raising it 12 feet is another thing!

At the least, I recommend a Material Lift for about $75/day.
DUCT JACKS / MATERIAL LIFTS Equipment Rental, Rent DUCT JACKS / MATERIAL LIFTS | Sunbelt Rentals
Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

It's not hard, just need to know what to do, of course.
We use ladders with a 2x12 in between them, and use two people to lift it up and the old one off.
What is the actual model number of your current one right now?

Also, if you leave the unit trying to cool and the compressor running (but locked), does it eventually trip the breaker?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hardest part is getting the A/C on the roof. Getting the old one down is really pretty easy.

I have dome two by using 2 x 4 ramps from the bed of the truck and pulling the unit up onto the roof wile still on the packing skids. You will need some plywood to work from and to scoot the unti on the roof. Did both BY myself when I was over 60.

Ken