Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #1

Ac to heat quit working

So my ac unit when I switched to heat I leave the fan on ,not auto. It was heating,then the fan kicked off but I could hear the roof unit or AC heat pump still running. After that it no longer puts out heat. Anyone with any experience with these.
Thank you in advance!

Jim
JimWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 08:32 AM   #2

Will the fan run when switched to A/C? If not, then it sounds like either burned wiring in the electrical box on the roof or the fan motor is toast. It’s possible the run capacitor has failed, but unlikely if the fan was running and just stopped.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #3

It helps to include the model of the hvac unit.
An AC unit with heat pump simply runs in reverse to generate heat instead of cold air. In general, AC/Heat Pump combos have a reversal valve. Sometimes they get stuck or fail. Most RV units are sealed so they are not really repairable (from what I've read). Sometimes tapping on it will loosen it up and it will work again. Sometimes not.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's the outside temperature? Most older heatpumps stop putting out heat around 45F.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
It helps to include the model of the hvac unit.
An AC unit with heat pump simply runs in reverse to generate heat instead of cold air.

Just to nit pick a bit. Heat pumps (and A/Cs) do generate heat, but only in the process of compressing and pushing refrigerant around but they provide heat by transferring energy (in form of heat) from outside to inside in HP mode and inside to outside in A/C mode (a conventional fridge/freezer does the same).

Old 10-03-2022, 07:15 PM   #6

One thought I left out while rereading what you stated about the fan quit running -

Heat pumps do have to go into defrost mode, and when thy do - 2 things happen -

1 - the indoor fan quits running (otherwise it will pump cold air back into the space, because) -
2 - the reversing valve changes state to A/C mode.
This allows the system to use residual heat in the evaporator and that heat created by the compressor and heat of compression of the refrigerant to defrost the outdoor coil.

What would surprise me is - where are you right now that is so cold as to cause your heat pump to need to go into defrost?

FWIW - that 45 degree temperature stated previously is the point where most people are unsatisfied with a heat pumps apparent performance. Where heat pumps begin to rally go south and have to go into defrost mode about as much as they run, is around 37 degrees. And in a MoHo or travel trailer, it’s worse because of the r-factor of the insulation and the surface to volume ratio of the conditioned space.
Keep in mind, there is always heat in the air down to absolute zero. It’s just that moisture in the air limits how much can be extracted before things freeze up.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:54 AM   #7

A lot to think about, so the fan still works, it just shut off yet the ac unit upstairs sounded like it was running. But 1 of the 2 units quit putting out heat altogether. What does the reversing unit look like?
Old 10-04-2022, 06:15 AM   #8

Reversing valve is black and has 4 tubes running into and out of it - 1 tube on one side, 3 tubes on the other side. The 1 tube is the hot gas discharge line coming from the compressor, the smaller of the 2 lines connected to the compressor.

I’ve worked on a lot of heat pumps over the years and don’t recall any that the reversing valve got hung up. Does it happen, I’m sure it does - the clearances of the piston inside are quite tight. It doesn’t take a lot of trash to cause it to hang up that 200 pounds of head pressure can’t push over.
But before I started wrapping on it with a screwdriver, you need to feel of the 3 tubes and understand which ones are supposed to be hot and which are supposed to be cool, then change the system operation and see that the temperature of the tubes change as needed.

A A/C unit blower motor that is running, and then just quits, yet the compressor continues to run could be caused by a number of things -

1. Mis-wired thermostat (but if the thermostat hasn’t been messed with, then that’s not the problem).
2. Unit has switched to defrost mode - generally lasts 5-8 minutes but time can be unit specific.
3. Blower motor is failing and has stopped due to internal thermal overload - this can be caused by 3 things - stiff bearings that need lubrication (dis-assemble and add lubrication), run capacitor is failing (replace - impossible to load test), motor winding is failing and motor is kicking off on internal thermal overload (replace motor).

For the unit that has stopped blowing heat - do you mean it quit blowing air or it’s still blowing air but no heat?
If blowing air but no heat, what happens when switched to cooling? Is the compressor running?
Going back to the basics for A/C units - an inspection of the electrical connections in the electrical box inside the unit up on the roof is the first thing that needs to be done. Look for burned and/or corroded wiring and failed components (PTC compressor hard start devices commonly fail in these units).

Tags
heat