Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #1

AC Voltage / Line Meter

https://www.bzbproducts.com/prime-pr...nt=Catch%20All

I have one of these and it has been invaluable a couple times. It shows the line voltage which is really handy when visiting older campgrounds with older services.
The first time I had to use it as a diagnostic tool I had an outlet which went dead. I plugged the meter into the dead outlet and had two red lights illuminate telling me I had an open neutral. I went to my converter and found a loose wire on the neutral bar, tightened the screw up and sure enough the meter read full voltage with correct polarity.
The second time I used it for diagnosis was when a friend had an issue with one of his outlets. Again I plugged my meter into the faulty plug and it also read "Open Neutral". We found the same issue as I had. We not only corrected his problem by tightening the screw holding the wire to the converter but found other screws weren't tightened to our satisfaction although the sockets appeared to work just fine. This seems to be a common occurance. I know I check my wiring screws each year when I am de-winterizing my coach. I have found a couple I felt which should be tighter. You would almost think the wires shrink under the screws.
Also useful is the digital voltage readout. Especially when running a generator and again when visiting those older campgrounds with old overloaded wiring. I have visited one which read under 100 volts even at the pedestal. 97 volts to be exact. Needless to say I didn't plug into that pedestal but played "Boondocker" for the weekend.
That particular campgound has changed ownership and everything has been upgraded in the past few years and is up to snuff now.
I have a shelf in the bedroom for a TV which I use just to store a few things and there is an electrical outlet above the shelf which we don't use. That's where I keep my meter stored and it's plugged in all the time. I keep a pretty good eye on the voltage as I never want to see it too high or too low.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #2

Good for you and Thanks for letting others know.

But a better solution is to get an EMS that is either permanently mounted in your coach, or one that plugs in at the pedestal and your coach plugs into it.

An EMS is better because it constantly monitors the electrical condition of incoming power and kills power to the coach when something is awry.

The device you have is good for troubleshooting just as you have used it (really convenient in fact) - but it doesn’t offer any protection unless you are looking at it when the issue presents itself. Progressive Industries makes a good one as permanent or plug-in, they have a great Warranty, and awesome Customer Service from what I understand.

Oh, and I check my electrical when I first get the coach out in the spring. For whatever reason and in my experience, loose connections are more likely to occur after the thermal swings of the winter months than summer months. Especially the breaker box (all breakers and neutral/ground bonding joints) and EMS connections.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #3

I have something similar plugged into an outlet in kitchen ...handy for her when setting up as she knows when I have connected AC Power.

Can be seen from Kitchen and living room so it's a nice visual aid.

I have a PI Surge Protection for checking power prior to plugging RV in

You mentioned:
I went to my converter and found a loose wire on the neutral bar,

Actually that would be your Main AC Power Panel
'Converter' ----AC Power IN and DC Power Out for batteries and DC system
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:00 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
https://www.bzbproducts.com/prime-pr...nt=Catch%20All

I have one of these and it has been invaluable a couple times. It shows the line voltage which is really handy when visiting older campgrounds with older services.
The first time I had to use it as a diagnostic tool I had an outlet which went dead. I plugged the meter into the dead outlet and had two red lights illuminate telling me I had an open neutral. I went to my converter and found a loose wire on the neutral bar, tightened the screw up and sure enough the meter read full voltage with correct polarity.
The second time I used it for diagnosis was when a friend had an issue with one of his outlets. Again I plugged my meter into the faulty plug and it also read "Open Neutral". We found the same issue as I had. We not only corrected his problem by tightening the screw holding the wire to the converter but found other screws weren't tightened to our satisfaction although the sockets appeared to work just fine. This seems to be a common occurance. I know I check my wiring screws each year when I am de-winterizing my coach. I have found a couple I felt which should be tighter. You would almost think the wires shrink under the screws.
Also useful is the digital voltage readout. Especially when running a generator and again when visiting those older campgrounds with old overloaded wiring. I have visited one which read under 100 volts even at the pedestal. 97 volts to be exact. Needless to say I didn't plug into that pedestal but played "Boondocker" for the weekend.
That particular campgound has changed ownership and everything has been upgraded in the past few years and is up to snuff now.
I have a shelf in the bedroom for a TV which I use just to store a few things and there is an electrical outlet above the shelf which we don't use. That's where I keep my meter stored and it's plugged in all the time. I keep a pretty good eye on the voltage as I never want to see it too high or too low.
Great post, thanks for sharing!
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #5

I do have an EMS which attaches at the pedestal but I have to go outside to check it. I also have a good quality multimeter I carry along if the plug in volt meter shows low voltage or a fault.
Yes, O-B it was my main panel which is in the same compartment as my converter. Good catch.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I do have an EMS which attaches at the pedestal but I have to go outside to check it. I also have a good quality multimeter I carry along if the plug in volt meter shows low voltage or a fault.
Yes, O-B it was my main panel which is in the same compartment as my converter. Good catch.
Shouldn’t ever have to go check your EMS unless you arrive at the coach and there is no power.

You didn’t indicate you had one, but great you do. 😀