Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

Accessories 12 VDC is dead

Hey All,
I have a 1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36T. I have an issue with the 12 VDC accessories power that I created but cant find the solution.
Several weeks back, I overflowed the potable water while filling. It overflowed for sometime as several of the basement compartments had standing water. Also, later in the day, the LR slide out started closing on its own. The slide out controller is located beneath the fridge as well as the AC breakers. When I opened the compartment, it was very wet and I am sure the electrical duct that runs under the floor was possibly flooded. There was water dripping from above into one of the basement compartments. After the slide completely closed, I was able to drive it back out without any noticeable issue.
The next day, I placed the ignition switch to the accessories position to listen to a broadcast on sirius-xm radio. The radio did not come on. I placed the switch to the ign position and still no radio. I checked the radio off on and still the radio did not illuminate. I pulled the dash apart to check the inline for the radio and it checked good.
I starting checking the fuses in the electrical compartment under the hood. All of the fuses are good. I checked both fuse panels. I started checking for power and found I do not have 12VDC supply to the radio and other accessories at the forward fuse panel. However, I do know power is there because I have 12VDC for ignition, instrument panel, generator starter.
Does anyone know where the 12VDC power originates to supply the radio and 12VDC power outlets?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
chuckc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have an older MH like yours and have had similar problems . On older rigs not only do you have to check fuses but you may have to check voltages across the fuse. The terminals on these fuse boxes may corrode and sometimes cleaning is not enough. On occasion I bypass the box with and inline fuse. Grounds also corrode. One of my turn signals quit and I could not find the open so I just rewired it.

I had a water problem and I thought it was my sink facet, sink is on the slideout. But my problem was the drain line from the sink that connected into the flex line. The flex line busted. No way to get to it. So I had to cut a hole in the wall to fix the flex line and then make a removable panel over the hole. Took some time but it looks great like it should be there.

You never know what extremes you have to go through to fix these old girls.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #3

I was thinking my next step is to pull the forward fuse panel and find where the power lands on the backside. Hopefully there will be a wire number that shows in the limited electrical diagrams I have. Unfortunately, the diagrams resemble block diagrams more than an actual electrical diagram.
If that does not work for me, then I may have to locate or install another battery source to eliminate the problem.
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc15 View Post
I was thinking my next step is to pull the forward fuse panel and find where the power lands on the backside. Hopefully there will be a wire number that shows in the limited electrical diagrams I have. Unfortunately, the diagrams resemble block diagrams more than an actual electrical diagram.
If that does not work for me, then I may have to locate or install another battery source to eliminate the problem.
Thanks for your input.
I suggest you include complete iD of your rig in your signature. When I post with a problem everyone can see exactly what I have. I received a lot of good electrical diagrams right here on this forum and you can too. Just a suggestion.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:26 AM   #5

My apologies, I thought I had the info in my signature. I never paid attention when it posted.

1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36T
Cummins 5.9 275 ISB
Freightliner Air Suspension
Old 01-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

On my mh their is a large red wire thats easy to trace and check for 12v right on the front of the panel not on the back. Its a large nut bolt and is even labled. On mine there is a 12v connection point with a bunch of wires under the hood.

So the mains 12v flow is battery in back that runs thru a shutoff switch then 4/0 wire ( large) running from switch to front dist under hood then wire to the fuse box. Id recommend cleaning each of these points and applying dielectric grease or i use neversieze then u can forget about corrosion for a very long time.

Heres pic of my front distribution the one on far right is ground. Second pic is house box where the 12v comes in. I install the cover with the fuse labels facing out so i can see which circuits indide. Hope this helps. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B49D020E-1E8B-4AF2-AA64-885DDAD3A189.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	231510   Click image for larger version

Name:	4D773E12-DBB4-4813-B234-0389297783E1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	231511  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FDA119D-B704-4E24-8030-7953CEF2021D.jpg