Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Adding Freon DIY?

The dash air conditioner on the MH is not nearly as cold as it should be coming right out the vent. Can I add freon without having a shop do it?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do it yourself, its very easy to do. Should cost you less than $20 all in. Go to Walmart, they have the least expensive prices on this stuff.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Joe, you can, but there are some things to be aware of. The newer refrigerant, R-134a, is more critical of proper charge. The packages they sell in Walmart and auto parts stores usually is a can of R-134a, gauge, and hose with proper connector. The gauge only measures the low side pressure as the compressor is 'sucking' in coolant. To get a proper measure of the charge, a set of manifold gauges which at the same time measures high and low pressure sides. Also a couple of important things to monitor is ambient (outside) temperature and the drop in temperature created by the air conditioner. If you overfill a R-134a system, it loses as much cooling power as if it was undercharged. It's hard to hit the 'sweet spot' with a single gauge system.

Also you wouldn't need coolant if it wasn't leaking somewhere. Just adding without finding and fixing the leak is a temporary job at best. Adding cans with sealant 'goop' in it is also a temporary patch, it might work, might work for a little while, might not work at all.

Another thing to check is perhaps the lack of cooling is because the heater is still on a little letting heat cancel the cooling. Feel both heater hoses going into and out of the heater core. If they are warm or hot, the valve is not closing all the way.

Going to a professional shop, they have the proper gauges, thermometers, and a 'sniffer' to trace leaks. To me, it's worth the $$ to have it done right.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Is it Freon or is it R-134a? There is a difference.
Freon you need to have gone thru classes and gotten the certificates in order to buy it and use it.
R-134a is bought at any auto parts store or just about any place that sells auto parts and that includes most Walmart's.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Is it Freon or is it R-134a? There is a difference.
Freon you need to have gone thru classes and gotten the certificates in order to buy it and use it.
R-134a is bought at any auto parts store or just about any place that sells auto parts and that includes most Walmart's.
Freon is a registered trade name by the Dupont Co. It's R-12, a dichlorodifluoromethane that's proven harmful to the protective ozone layer. It was heavily restricted in use starting in 1989. R-134a is a similar coolant in it's air conditioning properties but doesn't have as many ozone damaging properties. R-134a is a 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane. I'm sure that clears it all up!

Many folks use the term 'freon' for any fluid used in air conditioners. R-12 is the only true freon.

By the way, rooftop and home air conditioners have for decades used R-22, chlorodifluoromethane, but is now being phased out because it is 1810 times more harmful than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go to Walmart and buy a Kit that has a gauge and usually one can of 134A.
While there buy one can of the 134A that has stop leak and oil also in it.

Use that can first. The gauge has a dial on it that you turn it to the outside temp.
The other end has a fitting and it will only fit on the low pressure connection.
Read the instructions on the can on how to hold & shake it while filling AC line.

Put gloves on as the can will get really cold. Otherwise a piece of cake
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Go to Walmart and buy a Kit that has a gauge and usually one can of 134A.
While there buy one can of the 134A that has stop leak and oil also in it.

Use that can first. The gauge has a dial on it that you turn it to the outside temp.
The other end has a fitting and it will only fit on the low pressure connection.
Read the instructions on the can on how to hold & shake it while filling AC line.

Put gloves on as the can will get really cold. Otherwise a piece of cake
Ditto above.
I did this job yesterday, took 5 minutes, and ice cold air again, first time I added coolant in 14 years of owning it. I did not worry about a leak, or anything, if there is a leak, it will let me know by leaking out, and not cooling well again.

It is simple, just read the instructions.
if you over fill it, you will know, as it will freeze up, and not cool as well, but all you need to do is simply let some out.
If it does not work out, you can then go to a shop, and get the needed expensive repair
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

This is a DIY job, sure you can do it yourself. No different than your car. If you are unsure just google it and you will find a video.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may not need any Freon place a pair of vice grip pliers on one of the hoses into the dash AC/Heater unit and see if cooling improves.
Read this thread and you will know what is going on, you have two choices replace control or install a ball valve.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The point I was making was that they needed to double check what it takes as some require the stuff that is required under the laws to be used by professionals. If the OP does not know what type is in their system and they put in something else just because everyone is telling them to just go to the store and get the R-134a cans they could end up hurting their system.

Ours takes the old stuff and it has not been retro-fitted for R-134a so no we could not go and get the cans. Luckily Thom has been certified to work on ACs and has the certificates to buy the stuff we would need but he would still just take it into a professional for this.

I am not against anyone doing any type of DIY stuff on these things we live in and move around the country in BUT there are some things that might still require a professional and if their system is not fitted for R-134a then it may require a professional.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the comments fellows! Since my MH is a 2002, would it have R12 or R134A in it? It it does have R12, and it is no longer available, can the R134A still be used to add to the system?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
No, R134a is not compatible with R12. R406a is a drop-in replacement for R12 and it is only available to professionals AFAIK. Your system can be modified to take R134a, but that requires a different expansion valve, different oil and an approximate 10% loss of capacity.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks for all the comments fellows! Since my MH is a 2002, would it have R12 or R134A in it? It it does have R12, and it is no longer available, can the R134A still be used to add to the system?
I don't know which is in your system BUT according my husband (who has gone thru the schooling for ACs) then NO you can not mix and just add the R-134a to a system that has R-12.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I doubt very seriously you have R12, that was phased out way before 2002. Just did my neighbors 1998 Mercedes and its 134a. Went ahead a looked it up as I am sure there are some that will swear to you otherwise. "Auto manufacturers began using R-134a in 1992. By 1994, all new-car air conditioning systems were manufactured with the new substance. While R-12 is no longer produced, it is still available in limited quantities."
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote