RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You missed my point. Just because someone is not happy with something doesn't mean it's broken. As to mineral oil in your batteries, try it and see for yourself, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #30

Let me jump into this: I used mineral oil in my 2200 batteries for 6 years no corrosion or mess in the battery tray. No battery problems added a little water twice a year. Prior to using, mineral oil in 2 yeas had a battery that needed professional treatment. I totally support sin mineral oil in all lead acid batteries. Battery live is determined by how far batteries are drawn down not whether you use oil or anything else.

I am sure using mineral oil will void any battery warranty. It doesn't take much for a manufacturer to void a warranty. I believe batteries are warrantied against MSRP rather than whatever price you paid and are basically void from purchase.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
With our previous rig, the batteries were using a lot of water. I tried mineral oil, and it worked as advertised. My water usage virtually disappeared. The negative side of this story: It was such a great improvement on year three I got lazy and missed the six month check....big mistake. One battery was ruined. It is a pretty ugly site to open the cap and see the oil residue dried on the top of the plates.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
With our previous rig, the batteries were using a lot of water. I tried mineral oil, and it worked as advertised. My water usage virtually disappeared. The negative side of this story: It was such a great improvement on year three I got lazy and missed the six month check....big mistake. One battery was ruined. It is a pretty ugly site to open the cap and see the oil residue dried on the top of the plates.

I think you may have had an overcharge issue going on. I check my Magnum Energy readout often as I pass by it. If it goes to Surge charge at 14.5 or higher for more than a few minutes after you plug the coach into the pedstal, or goes above Float charge rate of 13.6 often, the charger is not on par.
Best wishes!

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I think you may have had an overcharge issue going on. I check my Magnum Energy readout often as I pass by it. If it goes to Surge charge at 14.5 or higher for more than a few minutes after you plug the coach into the pedstal, or goes above Float charge rate of 13.6 often, the charger is not on par.
Best wishes!

Those are good numbers to know. Thanks for the advise. I will add to hat to my routine.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Best wishes!
CampDaven

Me thinks excessive battery electrolyte loss is most often caused by improper inverter/charger settings and poor 12V electrical management.
IMO mineral oil may be a band-aid for the problem?... (not a fix).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #35

Adding Mineral Oil to Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
CampDaven

Me thinks excessive battery electrolyte loss is most often caused by improper inverter/charger settings and poor 12V electrical management.
IMO mineral oil may be a band-aid for the problem?... (not a fix).
Mel
'96 Safari

Thanks Mel. We think alike.
That has been my theory all along. I am convinced that I only need to top off the cells once a year for the reasons you stated.
I didn't have 12V mgt in my first 2 coaches, just chargers I trusted (but verified with a meter). I have my Dad's lessons firmly in my head on many topics.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #36

Another thing is that when charging is happening as it should, it will periodically show Full Charge. If it doesn't there are likely battery or charging issues.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used mineral oil my batteries 4 years ago. No corrosion issues at all.

I use this "old School" filler to keep my batteries topped off with distilled water every other month.

Amazon.com: Plews 75-030 Auto Shut Off 2 Quart Capacity Plastic Battery Filler: Automotive
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #38

Adding Mineral Oil to Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I used mineral oil my batteries 4 years ago. No corrosion issues at all.

I use this "old School" filler to keep my batteries topped off with distilled water every other month.

Amazon.com: Plews 75-030 Auto Shut Off 2 Quart Capacity Plastic Battery Filler: Automotive

If you need to top off your batteries once a month, they are "cooking" too much from a higher than normal charge rate. It can be the charger, batteries, or connections.
What surge charge voltage do you see right after come off the road and plug in to the pedestal, and how long does it "surge"? What is the float charge voltage? Does it go down to a 12.8 full charge? Your intellitec can be set for better charge rates. I don't know how. Had a tech do it.
I use no mineral oil and top them off once per YEAR, no corrosion, and desert low humidity doesn't matter.
IMHO, mineral oil is a bandaid that hides real issues. Please see the previous 3 posts.
Best wishes!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #39

Quote:
If you need to top off your batteries once a month, they are "cooking" too much from a higher than normal charge rate. It can be the charger, batteries, or connections.

IMHO, mineral oil is a bandaid that hides real issues.
CampDaven

If everything is working correctly, the charge settings are correct, the batteries are maintained correctly and common sense energy management is used batteries can last 9-10 years, (60 -80k miles).
Mine have.
Mel
'96 Safari, 144k miles, now on the 3rd set of 6 batteries, (2 chassis batteries and 4 12V deep cycle marine house batteries).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, batteries