Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

After market electric water heating elements

My water heater is propane only. Was wanting to get some advice on buying the Lighting Rod or Hott Rod to be able to cut the propane use down to heat water. Is there pros and cons to using these. Would like to hear some feedback on this subject
behmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

I have installed and use 2 Hott Rod kits on older coaches we owned, and never had a problem. You have to provde adequate 120V power to the system. That could be a problem depending on how your coach is set up.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
paz

A lot depends on what kind of water heater you have. Most recent Suburban water heaters require the use of an anode rod to protect the inside of the tank from rust. If your aftermarket electric heating element replaces the anode rod, you could be asking for corrosion that could cause a leak down the road.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #4

The Atwood wh in my Hurricane has a Hott Rod added. It does work great. The only issue I have with it is that it takes the place of the drain plug, and in my case it very difficult to get out as it is wedged against the gas feed line.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

I own the Weekend Warrior FTL 4005 and it has the Atwood 10 gal hot water heater. It has existing wires from underneath the kitchen sink where there is a 110 outlet to the water heater. Was just wondering where you mount the thermostat to measure the temp of the water or does the probe measure the temp of water and shuts off and on when the temp gets to the setting you have set it for?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

I own a 1999 Born Free 23RK Class C and like you, the water heater was propane only. I installed a Lighting Rod kit, tapping into an existing 110 wire under the sink, and it has worked flawlessly for us. Sure saves propane!
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

I found a lightning rod kit on ebay for 69.00. The person I bought it from said that it has instructions with it. I dont know how many amps this things pulss but I hope I am ok with my generator and 2 A/cs running
Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #8

Most of those heating elements are between 1000 to 1500 watts.. so using 120VAC it would be between an 8-12 amp draw.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #9

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a Hott Rod that PO installed. It works great. When camping in the summer months (95 degrees plus) I plug directly into the power post to reduce the draw on my 30 amp system. When on generator, during the summer, I use propane to heat water.

I have the same set up asWildtoad and it is a pain to drain and reinstall the Hott Rod element.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #10

I have the Hot Rod in my 10 gal heater and have no issues yet. I have a 50amp system. The only pain is to pull it out when I want to clean the tank. I usually clean my tank every month. I have been using the campground 110 and not usuing my plug under the sink. When you have alot of people taking showers I use propane also to keep up with the heat. Usually takes 10-15 mins to get water heated back up. Thanks for all the advice. Great forum to get info from.

Bryan

Tags
heating, water