Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 4,070
AGS with a Victron MultiPlus2 inverter

Looking for anyone that has installed, or has knowledge about, an auto generator start off of a Victron MultiPlus2 (actually the CerboGX), and can share the details with me.

I recently replaced the original MSW Magnum inverter with the Victron MP2, CerboGX and the touch screen monitor.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PEQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 15,746
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...rt_stop-en.pdf
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 15,746
https://www.cummins.com/generators/m...r-start-system
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 4,070
Thanks Vince for commenting and the links.

I am familiar with the Victron AGS info. It's a helpful document.

I'm hoping to find someone that has actually done the upgrade.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PEQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 104
I have. I posted about it here.
__________________
Scottsdale, AZ
2020 Newmar Ventana 4369 + 2014 Cadillac SRX Towed
2016 Tiffin Open Road 36LA
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcampbell View Post
I have. I posted about it here.
Thanks for replying. Glad to see someone here has done it. I did see that post a few weeks ago. That's the direction I was headed.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PEQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 535
What kind of generator do you have? And what AGS functions are you looking for?

A few years ago I installed an Onan EC30 AGS. It was a bit of work to install, although if you have the Magnum AGS it likely has most of the same wires needed. The user interface to it is awkward to use. I was able to connect the relay from my BMV712, so I can start and stop based on voltages or SOC. I also have one of my thermostats tied in, as well as various other connections.

Magnum now makes a wireless AGS that has a more modern phone interface. It's not as integrated into the electrical system, but is easy to install and looks like a nice product.

I recently upgraded to a MultiplusII, and since my AGS wasn't tied to my inverter it didn't require any changes for my AGS function.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Magnum now makes a wireless AGS that has a more modern phone interface. It's not as integrated into the electrical system, but is easy to install and looks like a nice product.
My understanding of the Magnum wireless AGS is that it still requires you to be at the coach to access the unit, as it uses Bluetooth (?). The benefit of the Victron Cerbo GX AGS is that it is internet-based and can be programmed from anywhere, and/or the generator can be manually started from anywhere. I'm in Phoenix, and I've been using this ability when I'm going to the motorhome to work on it. I start the generator an hour or so before I leave home, and the coach is cooled down when I arrive. Haven't used it on a road trip yet, but there will be more great benefits on the road.
__________________
Scottsdale, AZ
2020 Newmar Ventana 4369 + 2014 Cadillac SRX Towed
2016 Tiffin Open Road 36LA
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
What kind of generator do you have? And what AGS functions are you looking for?

A few years ago I installed an Onan EC30 AGS. It was a bit of work to install, although if you have the Magnum AGS it likely has most of the same wires needed. The user interface to it is awkward to use. I was able to connect the relay from my BMV712, so I can start and stop based on voltages or SOC. I also have one of my thermostats tied in, as well as various other connections.

Magnum now makes a wireless AGS that has a more modern phone interface. It's not as integrated into the electrical system, but is easy to install and looks like a nice product.

I recently upgraded to a MultiplusII, and since my AGS wasn't tied to my inverter it didn't require any changes for my AGS function.
I have a onan QD. My old magnum had the AGS remote box, which can be used with the CerboGX, as I understand it.

With this set up, as long as you have WiFi , you can control everything going through the Cerbo from anywhere. And Bluetooth if you prefer that.

PVCambell did a nice write up that he referenced a little earlier. All the generators makes and models are not connected the same, so you need to look at specific equipment to get it right.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PEQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcampbell View Post
My understanding of the Magnum wireless AGS is that it still requires you to be at the coach to access the unit, as it uses Bluetooth (?). The benefit of the Victron Cerbo GX AGS is that it is internet-based and can be programmed from anywhere, and/or the generator can be manually started from anywhere. I'm in Phoenix, and I've been using this ability when I'm going to the motorhome to work on it. I start the generator an hour or so before I leave home, and the coach is cooled down when I arrive. Haven't used it on a road trip yet, but there will be more great benefits on the road.

I didn't look at your previous post very closely at first. Looks like a very nice setup.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
EC-AGS+ off Victron device

From my reading of the various Victron device manuals it appears that a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor can drive a relay based on SOC. That relay output could then trip a timing relay to send the start/stop pulses required to start or stop a Onan genset.


https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...rt_stop-en.pdf


https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...R-DE-ES-SE.pdf


Working through this myself on a lithium/Victron inverter upgrade. I have used the BMV-712 before and really like it. Haven't yet figured out where the pulse signal would wire into the Onan system, maybe at the control panel. The EC-AGS+ documentation is slim with no mention I could find of any inputs.
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #12
ptl
Member
 
ptl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 49
I don't know if this will help but I made a video where I hooked up my Victron color control monitor up the use the automatic generator start function. I have an Onan QD8000 with the EC30 auto start control that came with my motorhome and then I connected the Color control monitor up to my EC30 to use the functionality of the Color control monitor. Here is a link to the video.

__________________
2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z Cummins ISB 6.7 350
2002 Winnebago Adventurer W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
ptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:48 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 104
If you look at the link above in my post #5, you can see how I used timing relays to use the Victron CerboGX for AGS. It should work in a similar manner using the BMV-712, but the only AGS functionality you would get is low voltage.

You appear to be trumped, though, if you are using the EC-AGS+ device. Cummins' description says it is not compatible with lithium batteries:
"Please note, The EC AGS is compatible with every permanently mounted gas or diesel RV and Commercial mobile generator with the exception of the Onan QD 3200. It is not compatible with our portable generator line. The Auto Generator Start feature for low voltage is not compatible with lithium batteries."
__________________
Scottsdale, AZ
2020 Newmar Ventana 4369 + 2014 Cadillac SRX Towed
2016 Tiffin Open Road 36LA
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:09 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcampbell View Post
If you look at the link above in my post #5, you can see how I used timing relays to use the Victron CerboGX for AGS. It should work in a similar manner using the BMV-712, but the only AGS functionality you would get is low voltage.

You appear to be trumped, though, if you are using the EC-AGS+ device. Cummins' description says it is not compatible with lithium batteries:
"Please note, The EC AGS is compatible with every permanently mounted gas or diesel RV and Commercial mobile generator with the exception of the Onan QD 3200. It is not compatible with our portable generator line. The Auto Generator Start feature for low voltage is not compatible with lithium batteries."
Thanks for the reply.


The BVM-712 supposedly can trigger on SOC as well as voltage.



In spite of Cummins saying it is not compatible with lithium I don't see how the EC-AGS+ see or cares that the attached generator is supplying power The transfer switch to an inverter setup to charge lithium batteries?
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ags, inverter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
typo in the installation owners manual for the Magnum ME-AGS-S (AGS) Epp MH-General Discussions & Problems 0 08-27-2021 01:09 PM
Updating Inverter to Victron 12/3000 Inverter/Charger RVGlen Going Green 6 12-15-2019 09:09 PM
AGS setup advice needed and question about AGS firmware version tnedator Newmar Owner's Forum 24 08-13-2019 04:34 PM
Magnum ME-AGS-S Standalone AGS mikelm48 Newmar Owner's Forum 3 02-23-2016 08:28 AM
AGS Issue: 2010 Paeton 40-QTH AGS Issue gjw Tiffin Owner's Forum 1 09-06-2013 04:46 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.