Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air Conditioner vs Heat Pump

Has anyone on here opted to do away with the heat pumps on their rig and installed just an air conditioner? For heat, the furnace works much better and efficiently for us.
Dometic said that the air conditioner can be used with the 5-button/10-button thermostat and the mounting holes are the same.

The switching valves always seem to come up in discussion when someone is having issues with the heat/cooling, just considering to go a route to do away with the switching valve.

Right now I am toying with an idea. I am open to anyone's thoughts.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I like my heat pumps. I had a solenoid go out on my switching valve, a magnet worked to provide cooling till I got a new solenoid about six months later, when I needed heat. I like heat, but I like free heat alot more.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I would always choose heat pump over AC only. I use the heat pumps in our coach whenever possible, saving on propane. Living in Florida, we have had a heat pump central air system on our sticks and bricks for many years. Every bit as reliable as AC alone would be, and the heat pumps in the coach work just as well as the one at home. And we still have the option of our propane furnace. I like having options.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #4

When RV parks start including propane for a furnace, or diesel for a aqua-hot, in their daily rate, I would consider it.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Although I really don't have too much issue with the heat pump, I do find that it is quite noisy and often wakes me up when it goes into reverse cycle for defrosting. The propane furnace doesn't use all that much propane and is much quieter with a nice steady sound of the fan. Depending on costs, If my existing dual unit failed, I might just replace it with an AC only unit if the savings were significant

The worst times with the heat pump is when it is about 35 degrees outside and the unit is continually changing from heat to defrost over and over again. It is not easy to sleep with all the racket. The reversing valves on my Dometic unit have a distinctive bang sound.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We really like the heat pump. We run the bedroom unit in the day, and the salon at bed time with a separate small fan. Keeps the noise in the other room. Also have a heater/ fireplace. So we seldom use the furnace. The circle rug the wife has out interferes with the floor ducts anyway.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #7

We use the heat pump in conjunction with 2 oil filled heaters. At night the heat pump gets turned off due to noise.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
Has anyone on here opted to do away with the heat pumps on their rig and installed just an air conditioner? For heat, the furnace works much better and efficiently for us.
Dometic said that the air conditioner can be used with the 5-button/10-button thermostat and the mounting holes are the same.

The switching valves always seem to come up in discussion when someone is having issues with the heat/cooling, just considering to go a route to do away with the switching valve.

Right now I am toying with an idea. I am open to anyone's thoughts.
No need to change out anything. if you don't like it in heat mode just don't put it in heat mode. It's the same unit with a reversing valve. Turn on you furnace for heat.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Although I really don't have too much issue with the heat pump, I do find that it is quite noisy and often wakes me up when it goes into reverse cycle for defrosting. The propane furnace doesn't use all that much propane and is much quieter with a nice steady sound of the fan. Depending on costs, If my existing dual unit failed, I might just replace it with an AC only unit if the savings were significant

The worst times with the heat pump is when it is about 35 degrees outside and the unit is continually changing from heat to defrost over and over again. It is not easy to sleep with all the racket. The reversing valves on my Dometic unit have a distinctive bang sound.
I can certainly relate to your comment about noise from these things. Our old Dutchstar had two Penguin units and were silent compared to the Dometic that LTV is using.
Our solution is to carry a Dyson Mini Hot/Cold fan that is virtually silent and does a really good job in our little coach. The Dyson is not cheap but it is a very good product. IMO,,,,,
Old 01-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #10

We have 3 Dometic Brisk II 15k Heatpumps .... love them! We typically only use 1 or 2 (bedroom is off) so the sound is not annoying.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
My Siesta initially had a Dometic 13.5K btu heat pump. It died (lost freon) early replaced under warranty. Paid difference to upgrade to 15k btu... also heat pump.
Heat pump is worthwhile only in a narrow temp range, mid 60's to 40 deg..Otherwise it's not needed. Below 40 it can't extract enough heat from the air to be effective. I use cube heater it's more effective and below 32 - I need to run Propane furnace for holding tanks and plumbing..
From online reports the AC units without heat pump provide more cold air and stronger air flow and apparently at lower amp draw..
Would have been nice to figure that out when the unit was replaced.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #12

Sadly this seems to be another case where RV appliance suppliers are using older parts/technology. Small split inverter heat pumps (often called mini-splits) are becoming more and more popular in residences especially when auxiliary heat/cooling is required. No durability issues.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
My Siesta initially had a Dometic 13.5K btu heat pump. It died (lost freon) early replaced under warranty. Paid difference to upgrade to 15k btu... also heat pump.
Heat pump is worthwhile only in a narrow temp range, mid 60's to 40 deg..Otherwise it's not needed. Below 40 it can't extract enough heat from the air to be effective. I use cube heater it's more effective and below 32 - I need to run Propane furnace for holding tanks and plumbing..
From online reports the AC units without heat pump provide more cold air and stronger air flow and apparently at lower amp draw..
Would have been nice to figure that out when the unit was replaced.
Love to see your online reports, normal air conditioners have exactly the same components as air conditioner/heat pumps.
Blowers, motor, compressors are identical. ac/heat pumps have additional electronics and a reversing valve, but are otherwise the same. I went from a 15000 btu ac to a 15000 btu ac/heat pump and they perform identically with same amp draw on each.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #14

I agree with cavia. Just dont use the heat mode. When your unit dies get what you want, but to change it now is IMHO not the smartest of choices you have.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner, heat, heat pump