RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2020, 04:02 AM   #1

Air conditioners

If this topic has been posted, I'm sorry, I can't find it. I'm getting ready to order a new brisk 2 15.000 btu a/c, can't make my mind up about the heat pump and heat strip. Probably not the pump, because most of my camping is in weather below 35 degrees, but maybe the strip?? or both and be done with it!
My main source of heat will be Mr. Big buddie off of my on board propane tank.

Thanks... Jim Chilo, OH.
30' Sea Breeze Scout
Jimbmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 04:09 AM   #2

From what I have heard, Rv heat pumps are good to about 40f. Below that you need another Sourse of heat. A good mini split will still be heating way below zero. But that is a different animal.

Hope this helps.
For me when it gets cold I head south. Unfortunately this year that won't happen. Sad.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #3

Mr. Buddy as a main heater, yet considering a heat pump or heat strip??? That leaves a lot of doors open LOL! If you have electric, why wouldn't you go with an electric heating solution and thus wish to deplete the propane which I assume is in your mind or you would not be asking about the viability of electric heat methods as well. If the campsite includes electric, I'd consider going with a few electric ceramic heaters (just because I can't stand the continuous noise of an AC unit).

Otherwise regarding a non-vented gas heater, I had my first and last season with a non-vented gas heater (aka xxx Buddy) as that will leave the inside of your coach and especially under every table or under bed or any kind of storage bin, and all of them seeping wet with moisture from that gas heater. Run it all season and you'll have mildew everywhere. Additionally if you have any expensive camera equipment, or other moisture sensitive valuables stowed, you'll pull them out find those things ruined from the water. (Propane plus oxygen yields heat, carbon dioxide and water)

Otherwise if you were at a place where electric is available (supposedly assuming it's included in your campsite fee) why would you even consider the hassle of bringing in a portable propane heater (with the constant need for refills)?

I'll tell you what I did one winter where I stayed in a single location in near freezing temperatures the entire winter. The electric there was not large enough to run a heat pump but historically even when power is available I always consider the heat pump my own last resort due to the noise it makes. I had a full 3' x 3' wall electric ceramic heater that works well in the 40-50F range and this normally keeps me comfortable but at near freezing it would keep only part of the 24' coach warm enough. I ended up after getting sick of wearing a coat for months on end, using my "extend a stay" and just renting a 50 lb propane bottle and running my furnace off that all winter - minimal noise and while a hassle adding the propane bottle, it was only once and ended up making me the most comfortable considering all the other options I tried.

Even when I had the non-vented propane wall heater blasting and before I discovered the coach was being drenched in water, I got really tired of having to worry that my carbon monoxide detector might fail, as well as monitoring the new carbon dioxide meter I installed (the real killer when you use an non-vented and one without a low-O2 shutoff feature). You see, a perfectly working heater will never set off a C0 meter and you can wake up dead as a door nail and it will never indicate there is a problem because the normally operating heater eats oxygen and turns it into carbon dioxide (CO2 and NOT CO) and water and once your drawers and stowed items get saturated with water vapor and thus your atmosphere gets saturated with both water and carbon dioxide. In the case of C02 replacing the oxygen, there is nothing that will keep you alive if you have any ventilation restriction - and this includes when you inevitably have a window cracked 1/4" in a 30MPH windstorm, fall asleep and wake up to "dead calm" and with something else perhaps dead at the same time, something that you won't like losing - trust me.
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Limitations on heat pumps of course, but a heat pump will produce over 12000 btu's of heat at about 15 amps and the heat strip about 5100 btu's at about the same amperage.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #5

The Big Buddy is not approved for closed locations where humans are present, a window must be left open. The will not heat wet bay areas either, only an LP furnace will qualify for that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner