Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #1

Air Conditioning Recharge ?

The rear ac is no longer blowing cold air and the front is blowing cool air so I guess that means it needs recharging? If so, does anyone have a referral for So CA ? If there might be another issue please advise. Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
The rear ac is no longer blowing cold air and the front is blowing cool air so I guess that means it needs recharging? If so, does anyone have a referral for So CA ? If there might be another issue please advise. Thank you.
If you are speaking of the roof air, it never gets recharged. If Freon is gone, most always the unit is replaced as it's not typically serviceable. There are no fill / check ports in the system. Yes, there are adapters to add those ports but they have a history of leaking.

The electrical system should be inspected and troubleshooted to isolate the problem.

Any RV repair shop should be able to handle it. Or really any HVAC technician that wants to take a look. It's a very basic HVAC system.

And, I assume you have the rear zone set for cooling and the temp setting is lower than the room temp? Just to eliminate the easy stuff....
Old 07-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

If it needs refrigerent recharged, it leaked out.

They are a sealed system with no seals, O rings, or gaskets.

The charge is installed and the tube folded and soldered closed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

All you can do is check that the compressor is running, the fins on the condenser are clean and the fan is blowing. Those are repairable items. If they check out it's time to replace. Good Luck.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't waste your money trying to fix a freon problem with RV A/C units! In almost all cases it will be money down the rathole! Don't ask me how I know that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The current RV A/C units typically have a 7 to 10 year life. If you can check the compressor operation and amp draw to see it the unit is running. A big problem is most people do not keep the filters clean and eventually plug up the evaporator coil.

I clean the evaporator and condenser coil every two years. This means taking off the upper cover and partially disassembling the unit to get to the coils. Also check for air leaks between the inlet and outlet sides at the unit.

The units can be recharged, but it is not a cheap procedure if done properly and you are best served byt replacing the unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
When this happened to me... I replaced the unit $1,200 plus installation.

Word on the forums is if you remove the unit and take it physically to an A/C shop that they will add a port, evacuate the system and refill it. Then all you have to do is get it back up on the roof.

I imagine this could be true, but not something you can do when you're on a 3000 mile trip and you need A/C NOW.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When this happened to me... I replaced the unit $1,200 plus installation.

Word on the forums is if you remove the unit and take it physically to an A/C shop that they will add a port, evacuate the system and refill it. Then all you have to do is get it back up on the roof.

I imagine this could be true, but not something you can do when you're on a 3000 mile trip and you need A/C NOW.
They also have to fix the leak.

Removing and installing refrigerant isn't a fix.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They also have to fix the leak.

Removing and installing refrigerant isn't a fix.
Yes, of course. I thought that went without saying... but perhaps not and it has now been said. They have to locate and fix the leak as part of this process.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
WOW, what a bit of disinformation you are receiving and from senior members. Yes it can be repaired and no it is not likely a leak but a capacitor or fan motor that is bad. I don't have time now but do your homework and you will see what is usually the problem.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #11

Thank you for the replies. First off I've never done any maintenance on it so I guess I should check the filters and clean the coils? If anything, as one is still blowing cool air this may add a bit of life to the unit. I wanted some info rather than going in cold and at the mercy of a repair shop. A quickie on that is I brought my toad into Pep Boys knowing it had a leak in the overflow container and said to give me a quote on the cooling repair (without mentioning the overflow tank). They came back with a $1,300 plus quote stating new water pump and thermostat. I changed the overflow tank and have had no issues for 5K miles.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
WOW, what a bit of disinformation you are receiving and from senior members. Yes it can be repaired and no it is not likely a leak but a capacitor or fan motor that is bad. I don't have time now but do your homework and you will see what is usually the problem.
Not seeing any "disinformation" above. It is all accurate on quick glance.

What I think you may be saying is that a proper diagnostics should be done to determine failed component and then that needs to be addressed. Quite right.

Starts with "are you using the system correctly". I assume the OP is because he/she is able to get the front to work fine.

Then, "is the fan working", "is the compressor turning on", to further isolate the problem area.

The OP started with freon (which might be a good SOP guess) so needs to be aware that IF Freon related, get a new unit. That's what's different between a RV roof unit and most all other AC systems that are repairable for leaks.

Could just be dirty and blew a fuse that a quick bath and new fuse might fix (doubtful but ya never know).
Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
The premise to replace the unit is based on recharging the unit. If the unit is clean, motors and capacitors are all good, it can still give service for a few more years.

But to recharge the unit PROPERLY is a bit of work. First you have to install a piercing valve or a saddle valve to pressurize and leak check the unit. Then you remove the refrigerant if there is any in the system.

Next you remove the temporary saddle clamp valve and solder in a high side and a low side Schrader valve. During the soldering process, you sweep the system with nitrogen to prevent oxidation in the lines due to the heat.

Now you pull a vacuum on the system to remove any moisture and hold the system in a vacuum for at least 12 hours to see that the vacuum holds.

Now you break the vacuum with refrigerant and recharge to the proper pressure levels.

This process is not cheap if done properly and no worth the dollars putting into an older unit unless you are capable of doing the work yourself and have the tools.

All too often, the unknowing immediately jump to the unit needs Freon if it is not cooling. With these sealed units, 9 times out of 10 that is not the issue. Most problems with these units are traced to poor air flow due to dirty coils or filter, air leaks and bypassing, controls are bad or capacitors. If it beyond these items, it is generally better to replace the unit and get a full warranty on it as opposed to a 30 day repair warranty.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning