Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #1

Air Conditioning While Driving

Can you run living space air conditioning while driving as I don't see a standard engine being able to do it?

Are typical RV alternators high enough capacity to run an AC via an inverter.
sailorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #2

Roof A/C's are 120 VAC and with (very) rare exception (read that $$$), can only be run from either shore power or generator.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, most of us that travel in hot weather will fire up the generator so that we can run the roof air conditioners. That's the only way to have any chance at all of arriving with a decently cool RV.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #4

So people drive with the generator running?

What are typical sizes of roof top AC units?

I can run my boat AC off the batteries and inverter, just not very long before running down my batteries. But a 200+amp alternator on a RV and a 2-3000W inverter on a 300HP RV doesn't seem a big deal to my know nothing brain.
sailorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We run our generator and both A/C units when traveling in hot weather!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman1 View Post

I can run my boat AC off the batteries and inverter, just not very long before running down my batteries. But a 200+amp alternator on a RV and a 2-3000W inverter on a 300HP RV doesn't seem a big deal to my know nothing brain.
Your going to need about 160 AMP@12 volts for each AC, thru your inverters.

You will need over a 350 amp alternator but then the engine belt can't handle that kind of load, long term.

The answer may be a mini split AC system. They reportedly draw less current.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #7

Gennys need to run regularly, so I start it up before we leave on each trip. We always arrive with a cool coach.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #8

you’ll need to run your generator in order to run the roof AC. we do it all the time.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
In extreme heat we run the dash air and generator with roof air set to zone1, the front one. Make sure to set your dash air to recirculate for best results. The alternator/inverter/house batteries will not efficiently run the roof air for any length of time before bad things start happening.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman1 View Post

I run 1 roof air on a 340 amp alternator and inverter while driving. Ran 4/0 cables to alternator and inverter. Adds a little load on the motor (diesel) but no issue.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I’m sure someone will develop or use new mini split inverter ac for motormen in the near future. Your standard alternator will not be enough or seriously over stressed for today’s roof top ac units . . That and ac’s are not wired into the inverter to even be able to run them without complete rewiring in my case the inverter panel is in the basement and the main panel on an inside cupboard 20’ apart , a real pain to re wire even if I wanted to
For now just run the darn generator, most people I know do ! it was made to be run while in motion or not .plus …. It needs to be run to keep the elect windings in good shape. That’s what it’s there for! I guess There are those that put up curtains etc to just use only the dash ac but my opinion is I want the entire coach cool. Trying to leave the generator off to save 2 or 3 gallons of diesel kind of defeats the whole multi thousand dollar coach comfort purpose.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
I run 1 roof air on a 340 amp alternator and inverter while driving. Ran 4/0 cables to alternator and inverter. Adds a little load on the motor (diesel) but no issue.
My van doesn’t have a generator, but it does have a second alternator for the house system. I run the roof air off the 3kW inverter when driving if it’s needed, though the front air is usually enough, and also when stopped for lunch using battery power. It’ll run for hours on high off the battery, and all night if it isn’t too hot and it can cycle.

I wouldn’t attempt to use the standard chassis alternator that the chassis manufacturer supplied, though. It’s got enough to do, and probably wasn’t designed to output rated power for an extended period. My 270A second alternator never quite gets to 200A, and usually will sit around 150-160A when running the roof air. That’s just under 3 hp (electrical) at 14V, and probably close to 5 hp input with belt losses and electrical inefficiency. Not much of an extra load on the engine.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #13

I forgot to include a photo that’s representative of Sprinter second alternators; not my photo. It has its own belt, so it’s not adding load to the existing.

There are kits out there for various other vehicles. Don’t know about DP’s or Ford powered Class A chassis, though, but never had a reason to look into it, either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87FEBAF9-BEE7-4B22-B0B3-89678923E49D.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	336436  
Old 07-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #14

Run the generator and run the roof air while driving.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning