Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #1

Almost released the magic smoke

So I added two new batteries to double my amp hours/capacity. Was just finishing up the cable connections. The last cable was from my battery monitor shunt to the negative post on the inverter. Unfortunately as I was tightening the shunt end down I lost track of the other end of that cable. Of course, it managed to find its way over to the *other* terminal of the inverter, the positive side. Thus was the circuit complete!

Also known as a short circuit, potentially a magic smoke release mechanism!

Fortunately I was wearing rubberized gloves and not actually *leaning* on anything, so it was more of a comical moment than anything else. First, there was a spark and a pop followed by a brief sizzle! I immediately jumped a bit and moved slightly away from the sound and light. After about .5 to .75 seconds, the adrenaline hit my system and I release a very high-pitched soprano scream. Very brief and highly embarrasing. The wife was finishing up yoga and thought she heard a dog or something.

No fuses blew, nothing exploded or caught fire. Midpoint monitor is good, voltage across batteries is fine. Lesson learned - no loose cable ends!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! You sure dodged a bullet on that one! Don't forget to buy lottery tickets!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! You sure dodged a bullet on that one! Don't forget to buy lottery tickets!
I mean, it's ONLY 12 volts! What could go wrong?
Old 01-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Magic Blue Smoke Refilling Kit

Good thing you didn't need one of these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10622

because they've been discontinued.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Good thing you didn't need one of these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10622

because they've been discontinued.

Take care,
Stu
That's funny.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I mean, it's ONLY 12 volts! What could go wrong?

High School buddy's DAD THOUGHT the same thing

Open end wrench made contact with Ground Source while tightening a POS connection.
Ring was against the wench.....ER trip to get band cut off. burn treated.
Can't wear a ring but no need really---has a 'permanent' one from the burn scar

120VAC and 12VDC sources should be off/disconnected when doing 'electrical' work

Glad to hear you 'skated' w/o damages
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:19 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went out to change the 9v battery in the motorhome. Stuck the battery in my coat pocket. Was doing something else in the motorhome when my side started itching real bad. Here the 9v battery made connection with a coin in my coat pocket and the itching was actually a burning �� sensation I was feeling through my coat and shirt of a very hot battery. Luckily it didn't leave a mark. But I had to get another battery for the smoke detector.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
When I worked for the Utility we had an automated motor pool with 90+ vehicles. The system we used was Invers, so each key fob that communicated with the computerized key locker used a CR2032 battery, good for about 6-8 months. Well one weekend it was my job to swap out all the key fob batteries. DO NOT EVER put 30 or 40 CR2032 3V batteries in your pocket at once. So there I was in the middle of the parking lot stripping off my pants and mumbling obscenities wondering why my leg was on fire...thank goodness no one else saw my half naked fire dance.
Yes, the Fleet Manager (me) was an idiot lol...
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
120VAC and 12VDC sources should be off/disconnected when doing 'electrical' work

Glad to hear you 'skated' w/o damages

How do I turn a 6V golf cart battery off while working on or near it?

I mean, like your example, I could be connecting any cable to a battery and connect the other end of a wrench to the opposite terminal. All you can do is ground yourself and wear proper gear.

When wiring four batteries in a series/parallel configuration, at *some* point you have to put that last connection in place, making the whole thing 'hot' - so I'm not sure how to do it otherwise without several expensive on/off switches in place.

I *did* have the solar charger disconnected. *heh*