Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #1

Am I candidate for a sewer tote?

Hi all,

We do 3-4 ten days trips a year in State Park camp grounds which have electric only.

Our coach has a 60 gallon black and 60 gallon grey, we never fill the black but after 5-6 days I need to visit the dump for the grey.

I have never used a sewer tote.
Would like to hear from folks who use one?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #2

I use one, albeit only once a year for a 4 day period at a NASCAR race with no hook ups. My tank is a Thetford 35 gallon but there are different brands and larger models out there depending on how much space you have to carry or store it.
I do have water available from a faucet I can hook a hose to and fill my fresh water tank. The faucet is 125' away but I have a hose reel plus a couple coils of hose.
I go with a family group with 2 campers parked side by side. There are porta-potties 100' away so that takes some strain off but the ladies prefer to us the toilet in my coach.
There are also newer, clean and well kept showers within a short walking distance which everyone uses except my wife and me. I prefer my own.
I drain my black and grey tanks every morning after we've taken showers and I pull the tank down to the dumping station. The station is about 1/4 mile away but the road is firm and it's downhill nearly all the way. no effort at all. Pulling the tank back uphill empty is effortless as well.
Before I bought my tank I had my tanks drained out by a septic service which drives through the camping areas and will drain holding tanks. I was paying $45 each time to have my tanks drained. Plus I threw in an extra $5 for a tip. Needless to say, for the last 6 seasons I have been using my own tank it has paid for itself several times over.
I carry my tank on an aluminum rack which fits into the trailer hitch receiver on my coach. I lock the tank up with a cable bicycle lock even though in the last 20 years we have had the same site for the race we have never had anything come up missing and I don't know anyone around us who has had anything come up missing either.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #3

Based on your current reported usage, I do not know if this would be enough for you to get though all 10 days. You could put a valve at the outlet and combine your black and grey tanks to give you 120 gallons.

As for if a tote is for you or not, is up to you. I know, dumb statement.

They are straight forward and easy to use. They come in many style and sizes. Some you pull by hand and some you can pull with a vehicle a low speeds like in a camp parking lot.

Of course there is the storing and transporting of the tote when not in use. Then you have to want to/be willing to use it during those trips.

Is it easier to manage that, or to drive to the dump once during your trip? Which method do you prefer more?

If I was ever in a situation where I needed a tote, I would get/use one. It is not a process that I would like to deal with so I have found other ways to deal with it. With that said, I did something similar since we mainly boondock. I added a 60 gal waste tank to my tow vehicle. I use a macerator to move waste from the RV to the truck tank. Then at the dump station it is the same process as the RV. Place discharge hose, dump, flush, clean up.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been using a tote tank for years. I donít take my tank every time. I only take it when we are going to a state park that does not have sewage. To me it is far easier to deal with the tank than to move the motorhome every time it fills up.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #5

Thanks all,

The reason I asked is I see a lot of folks in Travel trailers using them but I know they have small tanks.

That's good to know there are pull along and tow ones, I thought they were all tow models.

Will have a look at them next time I am in a RV store.

Thanks all and have a great day,
Old 06-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #6

I bought one....32 gallon
Used it twice and find that is more of a hassle then worth the usage

I installed a 'additional' valve on common drain header
I leave it closed..open black/greys and combine them

Have more waste capacity then fresh water capacity.
Easy...peasy

And before folks get all a twitter RVs use to only come with one tank for all waste
Besides....grey can be worst then black and it is ALL Waste
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I bought one....32 gallon
Used it twice and find that is more of a hassle then worth the usage

I installed a 'additional' valve on common drain header
I leave it closed..open black/greys and combine them

Have more waste capacity then fresh water capacity.
Easy...peasy

And before folks get all a twitter RVs use to only come with one tank for all waste
Besides....grey can be worst then black and it is ALL Waste
Thanks Old Biscuit,

I will check out the combiner.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #8

Dumb question on the combining-tanks idea (which I've been considering.)

The PVC pipe coming from the black tank into the drain hookup looks to be 3", while the pipe coming from the gray is 2".

Do you ever have an issue with . . . chunks . . . flowing from the black pipe into the gray pipe and causing clogs?

(Or do most rigs not have the different-sized pipe issue?)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
The reason I asked is I see a lot of folks in Travel trailers using them but I know they have small tanks,
I have a Thetford 27 which is big enough to empty my 25 gal grey tank. Never use it or plan to use it for black. Have only used it once in the past year, as dw is getting better at only using 5gal for a shower. Works well. A bit of a hassle to remount it on our bumper mount.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #10

Hi,

I had forgotten to.memtion it would only be the grey I was interested in :-)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Dumb question on the combining-tanks idea (which I've been considering.)

The PVC pipe coming from the black tank into the drain hookup looks to be 3", while the pipe coming from the gray is 2".

Do you ever have an issue with . . . chunks . . . flowing from the black pipe into the gray pipe and causing clogs?

(Or do most rigs not have the different-sized pipe issue?)
I have been 'combining' the waste tanks together since 1980 and have never had a clog/blockage
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #12

We are full timers and spend a lot of time during the summer months in COE parks where there is no sewer hookup. We generally spend 1 - 2 weeks at a park. We carry a 42 gallon Barker tote tank in the basement. We have a 55 gallon gray tank, and unless we get very conservative on water usage, it fills up after about 3 - 4 days. The tote tank makes it possible for us to live a normal life when taking showers and running the dishwasher in the coach.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
We are full timers and spend a lot of time during the summer months in COE parks where there is no sewer hookup. We generally spend 1 - 2 weeks at a park. We carry a 42 gallon Barker tote tank in the basement. We have a 55 gallon gray tank, and unless we get very conservative on water usage, it fills up after about 3 - 4 days. The tote tank makes it possible for us to live a normal life when taking showers and running the dishwasher in the coach.
Thanks,

That's great exactly the info I was looking for.

Do you know how much the tote weighs (my bays have a 300lb weight limit).
Old 06-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks,

That's great exactly the info I was looking for.

Do you know how much the tote weighs (my bays have a 300lb weight limit).
Someone was asking about the weight of the same tote on another thread a short time ago. I believe they decided the empty weight was around 42#.