Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Glad I was able to help. I suspect your transfer switch was damaged by a bad power source (low voltage) or connecting with a heavy load turned on in the coach. I strongly suggest you verify the power source everytime and it is always a good idea to shut the breakers off on the coach or ensure you don't have a large load presented as you plug in or switch on the pedistal power.

I noted you have your surge protector after the transfer switch. This does of course provide protection from the genny and shore power but leaves the transfer relay exposed . I have my Progressive EMS installed right before the relay (connected to my external power line.) so I am protecting the relay. My preference.
Txfer Sw location, yes I did that with an eye towards protecting the systems from the Genny should that malfunction, knowing that I may be sacrificing the Txfer Sw. I will be changing its placement when I wire in the new Sw. While its not impossible for the Genny to malfunction, in judging what I just went through I would say its significantly less likely than a problem generated from the shore side.
WRT a heavy load being on when energizing the coach, I can't say that I recall such an event. Could it have happened? For sure. Did it happen? I just don't recall. I'm wondering though could the fact that the Surge Protecter is after the Sw, if that could be the problem? Large current flow through the Sw only to be instantainiously stopped by the SP while its doing its system checks.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turns out that the meter I bought was faulty, checked it against a Fluke. Took it back, going to try another before I go for a full refund. More results tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Sailor,

I was rather shocked at the meter you chose and the price you paid for it!!

Nevertheless, since you are returning to the drawing board:

Take a look at what Canadian Tire has to offer. I got a really great AC/DC clamp meter from CTC for about $50!!

Mastercraft Digital Multimeter with Clamp 52-0163-8
Thanks for that info. I searched CDN Tire web site and couldn't find one.

Does yours do DC Amperage aswell as AC? Or just AC Amperage? The one I have does both, which is why I thought it cost as much as it did. I had started looking at Home Depot cost more than the one I bought and only did ACAmps. It could read AC Voltage and DC Voltage but only AC Amperage. HD doesn't stock, but can get, one that does both Amps, but based on the cost of the single Amp one I figured it would be more expensive again. So based on all that I thought the one I got at PA was pretty good, until it didn't work. Live and learn. Lol.

But thanks for the heads up.

Stewart
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stan.Birch, are you sure about that number? I ran a search for it on their site and it returned a pagoda style outdoor light.

Thanks,
Stewart
Old 07-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Success, this one works. The odd thing is, is that you have to have the AC/DC switch on the clamp set to AC. Apparently the meter makes the conversion.

So with the Aircon on and not much else I'm drawing just over 17 Amps.

The darn switch that was supposed to arrive this week didn't, back order. So hopefully next week, cause after that I'm off to sea for a while.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Stan.Birch, are you sure about that number? I ran a search for it on their site and it returned a pagoda style outdoor light.
The number was correct, but CTC discontinued this meter about a year ago. This one on Amazon looks like a pretty good unit at a good price. It also shows line frequency.

New MASTECH MS2108A 400 AC DC Current Clamp Meter - Amazon.com
Old 07-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post

The number was correct, but CTC discontinued this meter about a year ago. This one on Amazon looks like a pretty good unit at a good price. It also shows line frequency.

New MASTECH MS2108A 400 AC DC Current Clamp Meter - Amazon.com
Thanks for the follow up. Nice look meter.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The new Sw is in and operational. I'll post some pictures on the other thread mentioned earlier in this thread. It's a scary sight.