Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2022, 07:37 PM   #1

Another (mine) Samsung RF18 fridge bites the dust

One minute it was working, the next - dead. We left home in the morning for 9 days on the beach in Port Aransas. I got up early and started the generator and the fridge so the better half could get all the groceries loaded up. The fridge went from ambient temp to 0F in the freezer and 34F in the fridge in about 90 minutes. All was well, as usual. We loaded up and headed to Port A, about a 4:30 drive with the gen on the whole time, running both A/C units to keep us cool in the near 100 degree temps outside here in Texas. We took a rest stop at the three hour mark as usual, and got some drinks from the fridge. All was normal with the fridge.

We got to the RV park, hooked up to 50A service, shut off the A/C units, waited a bit then shut the generator off. The 50A took over as usual. No noticable spikes or anything. A few hours later we went into the fridge, and it was warming up. Fridge and freezer both dead. It has power - the light is on inside. It's not running though. I tried the "reset" procedure", and I tried powering it down for 30 minutes and then back up. Nothing works, it's dead.

The fridge is about 2 1/2 years old, the old owner of the coach had it installed just a few months before I bought the coach from him. I had a local refrigerator repair guy here in Port A come look at it. He needs to get to the back of it, and what he needs to get to can't be reached through the small removable panel in the outside wall of the coach behind the fridge. The whole fridge needs to come out of it's space. On mine, it's surrounded by trim, which I presume has to be removed to gain access to the mechanisms securing it in place, as I can't locate them. They have to be behind the trim around the fridge opening. I'm not about to start getting into this job in a RV park that I'm going to leave in less than a week. I'll deal with it when I get home.

To say I'm not happy would be an understatement.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #2

I have seen a lot of Samsungs go bad, I have not seen a single one that was repaired. The last episode was under warranty but they still wanted 365.00 to fix it. Great warranty.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #3

Assuming then that it can’t be fixed, what’s the go to fridge in that dimensional size now? If the Samsung is junk I’d be foolish to put yet another one back in there.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:26 PM   #4

Check out NovaKool. They are made in British Columbia with genuine Secor/Danfoss compressors. Pretty basic but very rugged. I tried to rip the door off with the slide but the door held, the slide was not happy. Very efficient though the freezer is not a 0F unit unless you get the dual compressor model. They come in a variety of sizes. US dealers were in San Diego and Seattle when I got mine a few years ago. They get mentioned in the forums now and then but I've never seen mention of a failed unit. Their engineers usually answer the phone when you call. I gather they have been around for a while though mostly on boats in the early years. https://www.novakool.com/
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
One minute it was working, the next - dead. We left home in the morning for 9 days on the beach in Port Aransas. I got up early and started the generator and the fridge so the better half could get all the groceries loaded up. The fridge went from ambient temp to 0F in the freezer and 34F in the fridge in about 90 minutes. All was well, as usual. We loaded up and headed to Port A, about a 4:30 drive with the gen on the whole time, running both A/C units to keep us cool in the near 100 degree temps outside here in Texas. We took a rest stop at the three hour mark as usual, and got some drinks from the fridge. All was normal with the fridge.

We got to the RV park, hooked up to 50A service, shut off the A/C units, waited a bit then shut the generator off. The 50A took over as usual. No noticable spikes or anything. A few hours later we went into the fridge, and it was warming up. Fridge and freezer both dead. It has power - the light is on inside. It's not running though. I tried the "reset" procedure", and I tried powering it down for 30 minutes and then back up. Nothing works, it's dead.

The fridge is about 2 1/2 years old, the old owner of the coach had it installed just a few months before I bought the coach from him. I had a local refrigerator repair guy here in Port A come look at it. He needs to get to the back of it, and what he needs to get to can't be reached through the small removable panel in the outside wall of the coach behind the fridge. The whole fridge needs to come out of it's space. On mine, it's surrounded by trim, which I presume has to be removed to gain access to the mechanisms securing it in place, as I can't locate them. They have to be behind the trim around the fridge opening. I'm not about to start getting into this job in a RV park that I'm going to leave in less than a week. I'll deal with it when I get home.

To say I'm not happy would be an understatement.

Sorry this happened to you on your trip. I suspect when you get home and get to take a close look at it that you will find it fairly easy to remove it for service. Most are secured at the front through the bottom leveling brackets and then again at the bottom back. I bet if you called the guy you bought it from he can tell you how it was secured. I wouldn't give up on it yet. Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #6

Need more detail of how you define "dead". Mine recently had the frozen evap coil problem. Easy to research and fix. $50 I think for the parts. Samsungs are pretty easy to work on and fix IMO. There is a Fastrack document that helps diagnose most problems. It will show you the codes and cross reference to the problem.
But if you want a new refer, go for it.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #7

Additionally, I had a similar problem pop up. Mine has been installed for several years and runs on a MSW inverter just fine. It pre-cooled just fine but my wife wanted me to change the default freezer temp. I did that and later that day, after messing around with the power connections, I noticed that it had quit cooling. We went on the internet and found a method to "hard reset" the unit and that worked. I had tried unplugging it and that didn't seem to work. Here it is for the reset;

If the display is not working, hard reset the refrigerator by pushing and holding the Power Cool and Power Freeze buttons for five seconds. The entire unit will be reset as a result of this action.

Also, if you look around you will find how to put it in the "diagnostic" mode and read the codes. Make sure it's not in the "demo" mode. It's on page 19 of the book and in case you don't have the book, here it is.

I've found that the RF18 is in fact pretty rugged and trouble free. Look around on the internet and you'll find a lot of info. Again, good luck.

BTW, after the hard re-set it took several hours to see that it was working. Go back to cover on the back and see if the compressor is running and the little fan is blowing on it. I bet you can get it working again.....
Old 07-22-2022, 08:21 AM   #8

Here is the procedure for putting it in the diagnostic mode and reading codes. This document if for many different models so look for the instructions for RF18, or "top mounted" controls.

SAMSUNG's Digital World - Support
Old 07-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The RF18 has two circuit boards that are mounted in a box on the top of the refrigerator near the left side. One of them is the “inverter” board which controls the compressor operation. If that’s what is wrong it is a 5 minute job to replace if you can get access. As I recall, I bought the board from a local appliance parts company in Mesa for about $160.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:28 PM   #10

I'm hoping not to have to replace the fridge, having it repaired is much more preferable. It'll depend on the cost of the repair. I had a local refrigerator repairman here in Port Aransas come look at it. The hard reset did nothing. He couldn't get it into diagnostic mode. It just won't display diagnostoc codes. The fridge has power, as displayed by the interior light being on and the digital display at the top of the fridge displaying temps (ambient temperature). The compressor and fan are both not running at all. It's going to have to be removed from the enclosure that it's in once we get home next week and have someone who really knows Samsung refrigerators to diagnose and hopefully fix it.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that I did the heard reset, holding the power cool and freeze buttoms down together multiple times. It made no difference. Neither did multiple unplug attempts. It refuses to wake up.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #11

Good luck Doug, sounds like you gave it a good try. The trim probably will need to come off and it's probably mounted to the floor at the front bottom because that's the only place you can reasonably get to it. I think it would be worthwhile to fix it. I'd be interested in the final resolution, as would many others, because there are a bunch of them out there.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:26 AM   #12

I'll let you all know how it goes. I suspect the repair of the refrigerator will be less costly than the labor charge from my local RV repair place to get the fridge in and out of it's space so the the repair guy can fix it. My local RV repair place labor rate is $180 per hour!
Old 08-12-2022, 01:56 PM   #13

Doug, just curious if you got your Samsung RF18 fridge fixed. A lot of us would like to see the final outcome. thanks
Old 08-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
Doug, just curious if you got your Samsung RF18 fridge fixed. A lot of us would like to see the final outcome. thanks
Not yet - the coach is at my local repair place for a short list of items to be addressed. The fridge is one of them. They're going to remove it from its spot in the wall, call in the Samsung repair tech, then put it back in the wall when they're done. I'll post here when it's all complete.

Tags
fridge