Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #1

Another Norcold temperature thread

I will start off saying my 4 door Norcold gets 3 degrees freezer and 34 fridge.
Been reading all the posts about the 4 door Norcold not cooling down enough. Mine gets the freezer down to 3 degrees and inside to 34 which is fine but I have to set it to 9 which is the max. I replaced one inop fan and made sure the diverter at the top is in place. I’ve been seeing some models of RV’s with an extra wide vent at the bottom. The regular vent exposes all the controls and necessary stuff to work on the unit. To the left of the vent is a space that’s 14 inches deep the whole length of the opening that doesn’t have venting from the bottom. This extra wide vent would let more cooling air rise from the bottom to the top which on this side has lots of cooling fins. Just wondering if they install this extra wide vent to add to the cooling. I noticed this extra wide vent on my BIL Forest River. I’ve ordered an inline 12 volt fan ( much like a bilge blower on a boat) to install in this area to blow straight up into the fins above to see if it makes a difference. You cannot insulate this area as it has cooling fins at the top.
Bottom pic is mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	981C9883-1982-40D5-8DD7-E585738E6E2C.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	337796   Click image for larger version

Name:	83112E14-FF90-4874-AA7B-C54B16B2DD19.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	337797  

Name:	F597102A-225A-4C2A-94C8-061E2869D3D7.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	337798  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 06:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Have you tried one of these?

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Put one on mine, and now have to run at 3 to keep from freezing the lettuce! Beer is cold though.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #3

I noticed this extra wide vent on my BIL Forest River.

Brand/Model of BILs RV?
Brand/Model of Fridge? (Norcold 2118 perhaps)

I doubt that wide of space runs above the lower vent opening...at least not much above

Typically clearances for absorption fridges are 0" (ZER0) sides/top and 1" Backside
More then 1/2" sidewall clearance MUST be filled with insulation or baffled to direct draft up thru absorber tube bundle
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I noticed this extra wide vent on my BIL Forest River.

Brand/Model of BILs RV?
Brand/Model of Fridge? (Norcold 2118 perhaps)

I doubt that wide of space runs above the lower vent opening...at least not much above

Typically clearances for absorption fridges are 0" (ZER0) sides/top and 1" Backside
More then 1/2" sidewall clearance MUST be filled with insulation or baffled to direct draft up thru absorber tube bundle
Here is a pic of the top vent which is the same size as the lower vent. As you can see, the absorber bundle goes back into the wall 12Ē. This hollow space goes from the bottom vent all the way to the top of the top vent which is why Iím saying this space probably doesnít get very good airflow to the absorber fins located back there. My BIL has the same exact fridge I have. His vent goes all the way across the width of the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8A7984D4-A777-42EE-8639-4D07BB57B349.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	337898  
Old 07-31-2021, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Have you tried one of these?

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Put one on mine, and now have to run at 3 to keep from freezing the lettuce! Beer is cold though.
Does it work on a Norcold?
Old 07-31-2021, 09:30 AM   #6

Pic of top vent for better reference. 12Ē of the fins are behind the wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A4DCAAF4-0D49-468A-9ED2-5ED85F651475.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	337903  
Old 07-31-2021, 09:50 AM   #7

You should download the Installation Manual for your Brand/Model of fridge and check the required clearances.
Your fridge may be properly installed but WRONG Vent Covers Used>

Lower and Upper Covers should be almost as wide as the fridge is

Otherwise...dead air space that does NOT move/allow for airflow

FYI....FINS at top are the Condenser FINS
Airflow thru them is critical ...that is where the Ammonia Hot Vapor is condensed into a liquid.
More heat removed/more condensing/more liquid ammonia/more cooling affect

Absorber Tubes are the large slanted tube bundle just above lower vent opening
Airflow thru that bundle helps cool the coolant as it gravity flows back to absorber tank then to boiler
Old 07-31-2021, 10:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
Does it work on a Norcold?
Yes, I have one on my Norcold 1211 4 door fridge.

It works very well. After I installed it, I had to turn it to a warmer setting from the original factory setting. It kept freezing the lettuce!

It looks like you could really use a fan to move more air past the fins. I have put a 12 volt computer fan in mine, controlled by the "ARP Fridge Defend" modual.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
NXR

The Norcold 1210 12 cubic foot with two separate freezer compartments has the smaller door. The Norcold Polar 18 (cubic feet) with one large freezer compartment has the larger door because it has a larger cooling unit.

My 1210 in a slide achieves the same temps as yours when set to 4 if it's not super hot outside. If it's in the 90's and the direct sun is on the slide with the fridge I bump it up to 5 during the day. Can't leave it there overnight because the fridge will go below freezing, though.

But...the original installation was seriously not in compliance with the manual. When set to 9 in the afternoon sun the fridge would go to 50.

The factory brought a Norcold rep in to show them the proper way to reinstall mine and the factory had their fridge installers attend so the Norcold rep could explain why the shortcuts they took were not only affecting the ability of the fridge to cool properly, it was downright dangerous.

Ray
Old 07-31-2021, 04:30 PM   #10
NXR

This actually is a timely thread. Today I partially installed the ARP Fridge Defend v4.1 into my Norcold 1210 that sits in a slide. I bought the ARP a long time ago but I only wired up their extra fan controls so far.

I added a lower vent (air intake) fan plus their two mini-fans inside. The lower air intake fan sits on an angle so the top, the exhaust of the fan, is angled towards the inside of the fridge. That (hopefully) will direct air flow actually up the center.

The mini fans are Velcro'd to the top of the inside of the fridge and aimed at the fins. They're the two little black boxes on each side of the pic.

The fridge was turned on seven hours ago in 77 degree temps and with the direct sun on the slide with the fridge. The freezer was below 32 in an hour and a half. The fridge got to 40 in about five hours.

There currently is a gallon of water and several water bottles inside the fridge but that's it.

The ARP Fridge Defend, with its little internal fans aimed at the cooling fins, is supposed to keep the fins frost-free. That's the real test I'm trying to do.

If the fins stay frost-free for multiple days I can change a setting in the ARP and it will cycle the power to the fridge every 24 hours. That will keep the undcumented "Every 49 hours shut the cooling unit down until the fridge hits 42 degrees" automatic defrost cycle from running. I hate that thing because it also raises the temp in the freezer into the low 20's.

I'm also hoping the mini inside fans will help the fridge cool down faster after loading food in it. Right now the fridge will go into the high 40's after a grocery run and then slowly drop down.

The fridge is set to 4.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fridge.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	860.3 KB
ID:	337930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge fans - inside.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	337931  

Old 07-31-2021, 04:57 PM   #11

Hard to fully cool an empty absorption fridge as there is no mass to hold/maintain the cold
Air is a poor coolant.......
Old 07-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hard to fully cool an empty absorption fridge as there is no mass to hold/maintain the cold
Air is a poor coolant.......
We must have a higher quality air around here.

It's 1 and 31 now and an hour from sunset. Previously it rarely got below 5 and 35. I wonder what it will do tonight.

Tomorrow I'll add several water bottles. That always pushed it into the low to mid 40's before.

Ray
Old 07-31-2021, 08:03 PM   #13

Open the door for 30 seconds and watch how fast the temp increases and how long it takes to recover

No Mass...very slow to recover temps
Old 07-31-2021, 08:30 PM   #14
NXR

Another Norcold temperature thread

Quote:
Open the door for 30 seconds and watch how fast the temp increases and how long it takes to recover

No Mass...very slow to recover temps

With this thing, even if it's close to full and we add stuff we just bought at the grocery, it still jumps into the mid-40's and takes hours to get back to 37-38.

But I know the Acurite temperature sensor is reading the air temp and the stuff that was cold is still cold so I don't sweat it too much, no pun intended. That is one thing I'm hoping the two mini fans inside may help with due to the whole "heat rises" thing. We'll see.

Ray

Tags
temperature, norcold