RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

So here is my question.

If there are so many Norcold fires why is it when I do a Google news search on RV fires there aren't any that show up as a refrigerator fire?

Could somebody provide a link to an actual news story concerning a fire caused by a Norcold refrigerator?
I don't use Google News for searching. I use just the plain jane vanilla Google and on page 3 came across this article where a person had died from a Norcold fridge fire.

$7 Million Products Liability Settlement in Arkansas — Maryland Injury Lawsuit Information Center

Here is another one from page 5.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/t...17686x51644171

Page 8.

http://www.olindelaw.com/wp-content/..._Norcold_2.pdf

Here is one on a boat.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ard-12371.html

And another one.

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-york...006-50975.html

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #30

anotherone sent me his series of photos from a MH fire which I'm posting below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 mh fire.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	74867   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	74868  

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	74869   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	74870  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	74872   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	74873  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	74874   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	74875  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	74876   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 mh fire.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	74877  

Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #31

Not This one!

Sorry this one does not count it's about a disconnected gas line (propane) not a cooling system failure at all!

I appreciate your diligent work of finding and quoting these cases but these are still a drop in the bucket compared to 4 per week for 15 years and I must say you have my attention but I am far from convinced.
Ours is 14 yrs old ran for 2 month just now without a hiccup and I never had to set it colder then the third light out of five. the only thing I could not get to work was the ice maker because I believe the solenoid is or maybe kaput (I just took it apart yesterday and also found it plugged solidly with crud?)
The cooling unit looks very good (no rust) but you (they?) say it starts from the inside???
What are the other options, That don't cost two grand!
I do not want a big power hog because boon docking is our primary goal! so even though I will add solar panels and more Batteries I do not want to spend it all on just the fridge. We do have the additional fridge freezer in the Basement!

Regards,
Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #32

Ed,
Some of your concerns may be addressed by the new Samsung 18xxx units (that still have the same dimensions that are close to the Norcold 1200 series. It is too early to know exactly what the new compressor on the Samsung units will mean for RVers, but they have modified their compressor technology to a Digital Inverter Compressor. Rather than an on-off situation, this compressor can run at different power levels depending on cooling needs. Samsung claims this significantly reduces energy needs. But, like all things new, it will take some time to understand what the implications are for RVers. Since your refer seems to be operating fine now, you have time to wait to see what this has in store for you.

Bob
Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post

The cooling unit looks very good (no rust) but you (they?) say it starts from the inside???
What are the other options, That don't cost two grand!
I do not want a big power hog because boon docking is our primary goal! so even though I will add solar panels and more Batteries I do not want to spend it all on just the fridge. We do have the additional fridge freezer in the Basement!

Regards,
Ed
Ed;

If you want to stay with the dual purpose unit, I highly recommend the Amish conversion. I replaced my Norcold 1200 cooling unit last year with an Amish unit and am very pleased with it. Total cost for the unit with two new heating elements was about $1100 with shipping and I installed it myself in about 5 hours. The cooling is great and it is more solidly built than the original. My original unit was very rusty around the heating elements, so bad that the elements were rusted in place. It had not leaked, but was looking pretty iffy.

The Amish unit cooled the fridge down the other day from a start of 88 degrees to 6 degrees in the freezer and below 40 in the fridge in just about 6 hours. This was with outside temps in the low 90's and temps inside the MH were around 88.

If you change, make sure you adjust the upper air flow baffle on the installation as the Amish condenser fins are not as wide as the Norcold and forcing the airflow over the condenser is very important. I had to go back and redo mine as I failed to do that the first time.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #34

I am on the 3rd Norcold safety kit. The first two failed. Yesterday at a fire info meeting (a MH burnt to the ground), where the fridge is a suspect, but has been ruled as undetermined by the fire inspector. There was a new product that is suppose to work better, preventing the problem before the fire starts. Paul Unmack of WWW.ARPrv.com feels his product will do the trick.
Has anyone installed this device on their Norcold? I am thinking about purchasing one.

Dwayne
dwaynedmonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #35

Dwayne, I had a Norcold refer fire about 3 years ago. All recalls had been complied with. I was dumping grey water (wife was doing laundry). I looked up and saw flames thru the refer vent. Got the fire out with very little damage to the MH. Norcold replaced the cooling unit after about 6 weeks.
The new unit seemed to be less efficient than the burned one. A year ago I replaced the Norcold with an Amish unit from Shipshwana IN. I also had the ARP unit you referenced installed at the same time. Both were recommended by "Mac the Fire Guy". The cooling unit works better than either Norcold unit. I get 35-37 degrees in the box and -10 in the freezer with a setting or 3 or 4. I couldn't get this with Norcold set on 8-9.
I am very happy with both the Amish cooling unit and the safety of the ARP. We sleep very well at night. I heartily endorse the ARP install on any absorption refer.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #36

Thanks Al. Will look at the ARP to see if it will fit my unit. The access penning may make it a bit difficult to install?

Dwayne
dwaynedmonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #37
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just wander through an RV bone yard and you will be stunned at how many are there due to refer fires. It is easy to tell on most of them. The other area I noticed was the electrical bay. I suspect bad transfer panels.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Just wander through an RV bone yard and you will be stunned at how many are there due to refer fires. It is easy to tell on most of them. The other area I noticed was the electrical bay. I suspect bad transfer panels.
correcto mundo ; unfortunately mine is there also. From the floor line up burnt the snot out of it. oops didnt see the above pics. dat bees it
Old 02-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #39

Amish unit self installed here 2 years ago & still going strong!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:08 AM   #40

Sorry but this statement causes concern as to Fireman's abilities

When the fire investigator came three days later he walked into the barn and said, “This is a nobrainer. This is the third Norcold refrigerator fire I have investigated in an RV this year and this looks identical to the other two.” He indicated that in the other two cases a detailed inspection found leaks in the copper tubing welds.

A Fire Investigator never 'assumes' cause of fire until complete investigation has been completed and FACTS support cause of fire.

And if a 'detailed inspection found leaks in the copper tubing welds' then I suspect their detailed inspection abilities are lacking.
RV Absorption fridge cooling units are STEEL TUBING because of the Ammonia & Water used in coolant (along with hydrogen gas and sodium chromate---an anti-rust inhibitor due to the STEEL TUBING).

Cooper........Ammonia/water

Just saying.............
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Sorry but this statement causes concern as to Fireman's abilities

When the fire investigator came three days later he walked into the barn and said, “This is a nobrainer. This is the third Norcold refrigerator fire I have investigated in an RV this year and this looks identical to the other two.” He indicated that in the other two cases a detailed inspection found leaks in the copper tubing welds.

A Fire Investigator never 'assumes' cause of fire until complete investigation has been completed and FACTS support cause of fire.

And if a 'detailed inspection found leaks in the copper tubing welds' then I suspect their detailed inspection abilities are lacking.
RV Absorption fridge cooling units are STEEL TUBING because of the Ammonia & Water used in coolant (along with hydrogen gas and sodium chromate---an anti-rust inhibitor due to the STEEL TUBING).

Cooper........Ammonia/water

Just saying.............
because the problem is so common the investigator can go right to the suspected area and check the tubing by pressurizing it. If it is leaking then that is a great clue. However there are many other issues to be investigated at the same time. This is third party reporting of the facts and heresay so dont be so quick to judge the investigator based on what someone else says. just sayin
Old 03-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
because the problem is so common the investigator can go right to the suspected area and check the tubing by pressurizing it. If it is leaking then that is a great clue. However there are many other issues to be investigated at the same time. This is third party reporting of the facts and heresay so dont be so quick to judge the investigator based on what someone else says. just sayin
Just pointing out 'inconsistencies' in statements reportedly made by 'fire investigator'

Also 'pressure testing' of a burnt cooling unit would NOT mean cooling unit leak caused fire .........'fuse plug' is used to seal fill port on cooling unit at factory. That plug melts at 220*F. So any cooling unit subjected to a fire would more than likely leak IF pressure tested...which is doubtful to begin with

Plus ....copper tubing. Not in an ammonia based absorption cooling unit

RV fires....bit more involved than just a leaky RV fridge

Just saying.........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold