Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #1

Anyone got an idea on this odd furnace fan noise?

It sounds like something rubbing the squirrel cage fan, but only when it's cold. When I fired it up for the first time this year it just howled and howled, a steady noise. When I realized it wasn't lighting and turned the propane on, ahem, it fired as normal once the propane started feeding. As it warmed up the noise got lower and lower in volume until it cycled off. Then when it cycled back on the noise was still there, just very muted and it finally faded completely. Thereafter that evening it sounded like normal. I remember it did this some last year but never realized it was directly temperature related.

When I first bought the coach the fan would run but it wouldn't light. After some troubleshooting and cleaning of various insect evidence I found the sail switch to be stuck off. After freeing it up I figured I'd try it and see if I needed to replace the switch or not. It fired but made the noise. My first thought was either my insect nest cleaning was inadequate or I had mucked up the sail switch so I opened it back up. Neither was an issue that I could tell. I could see no way the sail switch would actually contact the fan and it worked fine. Finding that the noise went away I skipped it.

Not a huge deal since it goes away but it still bugs me. What is it? It's been a ways back so maybe it was too warm for the issue when I took it apart? I have some other issues that should be looking at but this bugs me and I'm wondering if I need to crack it open again when it's cold for another look.
It would be nice if someone had seen this before and could save me doing more exploratory surgery. I can hope, right?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

Motor bushing
Room Air Wheel rubbing fan case until warmed up
Combustion Air Wheel rubbing fan case until warmed up

Those are the only 'moving parts' can can rub and make noise
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:53 AM   #3
YC1

Sounds like a bad motor. I have had to replace one of mine.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #4

Sounds like bushings/bearings going bad.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #5

I didn't get the noise spinning it by hand last time I was in it. Maybe I could force it into running with the case open next time and get a shot at the bearings with a stethoscope? I've had bad fan bearings before and it was more of a squealing type noise than this. This is more of a loud whirr like a piece of paper might make against the vanes. I think. Wouldn't be the first time I've been fooled. Seems like if it was rubbing I would get some evidence of that when I spin it by hand. I'll get back at it soon I hope.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #6

What Brand/Model is furnace?

Older model numbers/low btu rated.....motor RPM 1100
Older model numbers/high btu rated....motor RPM 2200-2400

Can you spin it that fast by hand.....

DC to furnace RED wire (ON/OFF switch) is Continuous from fused source
RED wire from Time Delay Relay to Motor.....connect those two and Fan will Run full speed
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fan, furnace, noise