RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Aqua Hot Issues

Good Morning - first cold morning in a while and I am having some issues with my AquaHot heating system.

When I went to bed last night, I was using the AquaHot to heat my Tiffin. I was only using the electrical element. It was working well when we went to sleep. Upon waking, my RV was a little cold (around 60 degrees - thermostat set to 70) and I noticed the fans (that pump the heat into the RV) for the aquahot were no longer running. I turned on the Diesel Source for the Aquahot and the fans and heat started back up, but only ran about 5 minutes before the diesel shut itself off and the fans stopped again.

It appears that the diesel won't run for more than a few minutes before clicking off.

So, unsure why the heat stopped when using the electric (checked the fuses - no 120V switch tripped) and not sure why the diesel is not working. I am still getting plenty of hot water.

Any advice or insight?
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 06:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
This happened to me and I just kept turning it back on until it stay on. Had it serviced later with new nozzle\cleaning\etc and hasn't happened since.

I guess mind just clogged up a bit and had to burn it off to keep it going.....
Old 12-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

The electric element does not provide enough BTUs to heat your coach - that is what your diesel burner is for.

You probably need to do a general service on the diesel side.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The fans should not stop running if everything is OK. On the control board, what lights are on? Sounds like a fault is shutting it down... low voltage, liquid level low, or high temperature sensor defective.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
The electric element does not provide enough BTUs to heat your coach - that is what your diesel burner is for.

^ This ^
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #6

Have you tried moving temp setting up, may be stat has a problem.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The electric heat may indeed be insufficient for really cold weather, but that shouldn't cause a fault and stop the fans. Something is wrong with both electric and diesel modes, maybe the same thing or maybe two different things. I'd start with Ivylog's suggestions to figure it out.

There are service manuals with troubleshoot info on the Aquahot website.
Aqua-Hot Manuals
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did the burner start back up?

The burner shutting down after only a few min is normal. The electric element almost had the boiler fluid up to full temp. The heat exchanger fans shutting down while the burner is running, and your inside temp about 10deg below thermostat set temp, that shouldn't have happened.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
There is nothing wrong with your electric heating element on your Aquahot. It does not have very many btus so when cold outside it will not be able to keep up with the heating demand. If the Aquahot fluid is not hot enough it will not circulate thus the pumps will not run and the heat exchanger fans will not run.

Think of it this way, when your Aquahot is first turned on it does not start circulating fluid nor do the heat exchanger fans turn on and blow cold air. When the fluid reaches temperature everything turns on and circulates.

With just the electric element on when it is reheating fluid the circulation pumps and heat exchanger fans turn off until the fluid is heated back up and then will turn back on for a few minutes until the fluid cools off.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Did the burner start back up?

The burner shutting down after only a few min is normal. The electric element almost had the boiler fluid up to full temp. The heat exchanger fans shutting down while the burner is running, and your inside temp about 10deg below thermostat set temp, that shouldn't have happened.
No. The switch where I turn on the Diesel is illuminated. Even though the switch was on, the light turned off. I have not seen the system do that before.

The system was also producing a lot more smoke running on diesel than usual. It looked I was spraying the campground for mosquitos.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post

The electric element is about the equivalent of a blow dryer or space heater on high. You won't be able to heat your whole coach with either.

When was the last time your unit was serviced? That'd be where I'd start. There's a whole bunch of other things that could be checked (that's in another AquaHot issues thread in the Systems & Appliances Forum) for the burner shutting down, but first things first with maintenance.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Diesel light going out is an indication of a fault on the Webasto Burner Control Unit.
The fault could be from multiple locations.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5179.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	310070

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
There is nothing wrong with your electric heating element on your Aquahot. It does not have very many btus so when cold outside it will not be able to keep up with the heating demand. If the Aquahot fluid is not hot enough it will not circulate thus the pumps will not run and the heat exchanger fans will not run.

Think of it this way, when your Aquahot is first turned on it does not start circulating fluid nor do the heat exchanger fans turn on and blow cold air. When the fluid reaches temperature everything turns on and circulates.

With just the electric element on when it is reheating fluid the circulation pumps and heat exchanger fans turn off until the fluid is heated back up and then will turn back on for a few minutes until the fluid cools off.
Makes sense...Thanks for the explanation!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
No. The switch where I turn on the Diesel is illuminated. Even though the switch was on, the light turned off. I have not seen the system do that before.

The system was also producing a lot more smoke running on diesel than usual. It looked I was spraying the campground for mosquitos.
The smoke is a big indicator that the diesel side needs some attention. Most likely, your nozzle needs to be replaced. It is a pretty simple job to do yourself.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot