Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Aquahot 450d Gets cold

Recently changed filter and new fuel nozzle, and cleaned up burner. After a while we noticed that we were more quickly running out of hot water, so I installed a mixing value and set temp a little higher than average. We still run out of hot water too quickly.

Seem all the lights\pumps are on as they should be.

Any ideas on troubleshooting and\or cause?

Thanks!

PS I also have the electric element turned on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Try using it with the electric element turned off. The electric thermostat is set 20 degrees higher than the diesel burner thermostat and can keep the burner from coming on as soon as it should.
Also, if the incoming shore water is cold, use water from your onboard tank as it will be warmer.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:34 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Maybe a failed stir pump .

Don't know if that would give you a red light on the panel or not.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Maybe a failed stir pump .

Don't know if that would give you a red light on the panel or not.
It will give you a red light if I remember. I checked the pump and its working, I also replaced it ~2yrs ago when it did fail.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Interesting observation....

I started this thread while we were in much higher elevations, CO and WY. Now that we have made it down the hill into the flatlands, seems like my AQ is back to performing as normal. I have plenty of hot water to take multiple showers in a row.

Can anyone speak with expertise, on the effect of elevation on AH?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #6

As a repairman, my experience has been that incoming water temperature has a direct impact on output temperature at the faucet. Ground water temperatures in the high elevations of Wyoming and Colorado have a significant impact on the ability of the Aquahot to produce hot water. The Aquahot service manual states that the unit only has the ability to raise the water temperature 55 degrees F. Is it possible this is what you have experienced?
A1RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fill your onboard freshwater tank the day prior and let the water in it warm up overnight.
Then use your 12v water pump to supply water for showers.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #8

The burner gets less oxygen. There is an air intake adjustment gate for mixture under the burner intake. You do open them more for high altitudes. It's not an adjustment you fool with. Set it and forget it for your average overall use. Also water boils at a much lower temp up high. So I believe it's not holding onto as many BTUs of heat .
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:25 AM   #9

You should have hot water and heat even at altitude.

Ours worked fine in the Denver area, and also in a campground slightly higher on the other side of the Rockies. We've also camped when it's below freezing and had plenty of heat and hot water.

The boiling point of water does decline with altitude, but below 13,000' it's still above the set point for AquaHot's boiler. Good chart here: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/b...de-d_1344.html
n2zon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquahot