Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

AquaHot - wrong fluid

I put about 2.7 quarts in my system when I got a low level signal, then realized I used the wrong fluid. I used an ethynol fluid for winterizing the plumbing instead of a glycol fluid. It says it is NOT meant for a closed loop heat transfer system.

Does anyone know how bad this might be? My system probably contains a lot of fluid. I have a 45' Country Coach and the Aquahot heats the water, has two inside heating zones, heats the basement, and has a circuit to heat the engine. So may 2.7 quarts is not a big deal. Should I just keep using the system or drain it ASAP? I can't see it causing any problems until, maybe, I turn on the diesel heater.
backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I think it's a big deal.

From the Aqua-Hot Website:

All Aqua-Hot Systems manufactured after 2002 must use Propylene Glycol antifreeze, including Hydro-Hot™, Aqua-Hot®, Aqua-Hot 375D™, Aqua-Hot 375LP™, Aqua-Hot 400D™, Aqua-Hot 400LP™, Aqua-Hot 450D™, Aqua-Hot 525D™, Aqua-Hot 600D™, and Aqua-Hot 675D™. DO NOT use Ethylene Glycol or Propylene Glycol automotive antifreeze in these Aqua-Hot systems.

Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze Ethylene glycol antifreeze is toxic, does not have the GRAS label and is not suitable for an Aqua-Hot system manufactured after 2002. Ethylene glycol was used in pre-2002 Aqua-Hot systems with the exterior domestic hot water loop design. Ethylene glycol can be used in these pre-2002 systems, as well as GRAS-labeledpropylene glycol boiler antifreeze.

Why Does The Aqua-Hot System Use Boiler Antifreeze?

Unlike automotive antifreeze, boiler antifreeze has a higher boiling point and higher viscosity that helps lubricate the system, as well as the rust, scale and corrosion inhibitors. When properly used, it is capable of efficient and high heat transfer.

Aqua-Hot heating systems use either the Camco (pink color) or the Century (green color) brand products. The color your system has depends on the coach manufacturer and the model year of your motorhome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
DO NOT use Ethylene Glycol or Propylene Glycol automotive antifreeze in these Aqua-Hot systems.
Good to know, but to avoid any confusion, I used an entirely different product. It contains no Glycol, but rather Ethanol, not to be confused with Ethylene Glycol. Other than that, I understand that we should use Glycol made for a RV, not a car.
backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, I would not mix antifreeze in my Aqua Hot. The older Hydro Hot units that had the fresh water coil on the outside of the boiler tank use boiler coolants that had ethylene glycol in them. The newer Aqua Hot units have the fresh water coil inside the boiler. So, if you should develop a leak in that coil, your fresh water could get contaminated with the poisonous coolant. So, these newer units use a Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) boiler coolant which does not contain ethylene glycol. Most units use Camco brand boiler coolant which is pink..... not to be confused with the pink RV antifreeze you use to winterized your coach. Some use a green GRAS coolant made by Century fluids.

I would suggest you join Roger Berke's excellent website and pose the question to him.
http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php

If it were mine, I 'd be thinking about draining it, flushing it well, and fill it with the boiler coolant recommended for your particular unit.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
If it were mine, I 'd be thinking about draining it, flushing it well, and fill it with the boiler coolant recommended for your particular unit.
Very good advice, IMHO. If you screw this up, you could be looking at a VERY expensive repair, plus downtime.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the MSDS data sheet for the Ethanol fluid you had dumped into your Aqua-Hot boiler system.

http://www.gresserco.com/wp-content/...-ANTIFREZE.pdf

However, to get an exact answer from the horses mouth I would contact Roger Berke (an Aqua-Hot expert) and ask him as to what he recommends.

Here is his contact information.

Roger Berke Contact Page

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was at an RV dealer last Friday, they had the Camco for less than $15 a gallon the Century was over $55 a gallon. As I remember both were concentrate.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a pump go out on my Aquahot. Book said if this particular light comes on, call AquaHot. I called them and the sent a full pump replacement kit. Had my local service provider replace all the pumps. In the process, the technician said he thought the fluid drained from the AquaHot was automotive antifreeze, not boiler fluid. It looked like it and smelled like automotive antifreeze. They called AquaHot and discussed it with them and the conclusion was drain and flush the entire system and refill it with the correct boiler fluid. AQua Hot said they don't ship units with fluid in them, and it was inexplicable how auto antifreeze was used in this system bought new.

So if you put anything other than Camco or Century boiler antifreeze in your aquahot, drain and flush. Soon!
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
I put about 2.7 quarts in my system when I got a low level signal, then realized I used the wrong fluid. I used an ethynol fluid for winterizing the plumbing instead of a glycol fluid. It says it is NOT meant for a closed loop heat transfer system.

Does anyone know how bad this might be? My system probably contains a lot of fluid. I have a 45' Country Coach and the Aquahot heats the water, has two inside heating zones, heats the basement, and has a circuit to heat the engine. So may 2.7 quarts is not a big deal. Should I just keep using the system or drain it ASAP? I can't see it causing any problems until, maybe, I turn on the diesel heater.

So you are saying you put regular antifreeze in the AquaHot coolant overflow? If yes stop using the water.
That stuff will make you permanently Sick or kill you!!!
I believe the earlier aquahots had externally wrapped water loops so regular antifreeze is fine. Once they internally wrapped the loop you have to use potable antifreeze. What is you AquaHot water heater model?
Definitely join roger burkes group and ask him too

The issue, from my understanding is if the internal loop gets a hole it will draw the antifreeze into the water lines.
So many people have been poisoned by it they are mandating a bittering agent so you can taste it:(.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA U60 Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff,

Incorrect....

He didn't use Ethylene Glycol GREEN Coolant by mistake but rather the pink antifreeze used to protect fresh water supply lines and drains in a RV.

That RV stuff is an Ethanol fluid. I posted the MSDS back in post #6 if you would like to read about its makeup.

BTW, I am one of the lucky ones, my Aqua-Hot uses the Green Ethylene Glycol boiler coolant because my fresh water loop is OUTSIDE of the boiler tank.

Dr4film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
AquaHot - wrong fluid

O. I see that now. Looks like your msds sheet shows a very low flash point 110f compared to camco

I have read where you cannot mix two certain types of antifreeze (like OAT and another type like IAT) or the chemical reaction will cause sludge to form. I don't know which the pink stuff is or which they already had in the system. I remember when I first got my rig I put cummins antifreeze in my AquaHot and then found out about the possible issue if a leaking coil. Talked to roger and reviewed the paperwork and luckily found mine was an older unit that used regular IAT Antifreeze.

Just found the reference I had read before----
http://www.cgj.com/2013/05/20/what-a...an-i-mix-them/

Can I Mix the Formulas Together? Is it Really that Bad?
You should not mix OAT based formulas with IAT formulas. The result is typically turning your coolant into sludge due to a chemical reaction. Keep in mind, OAT based formulas are still a developing technology. There are some “universal” formulas that claim compatibility with other IAT and OAT formulas, but the only safe bet is to use the same formula that is already in your vehicle. This may change as the OAT based formulas continue to develop; however, always err on the side of caution and use the same type of formula that the manufacturer recommends.

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Old 11-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Appendix A1 says not to use RV Antifreeze
http://www.aquahot.com/esource/ecom/...nual_Rev_A.pdf

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Old 11-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it were me, I'd drain, do a couple of flushes with distilled water (running all zones), then fill with the proper antifreeze distilled water mix.

Tags
fluid