Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #1

Are AGM's worth the extra $

The batteries are ready for replacement they do not hold a charge for very long anymore. I have not done much research on the 6V deep cycle batteries but see a lot of people picking them at Sam's and seem to be happy. We do not plan to do extended dry camping it would be the occasional over night when in route somewhere and maybe a couple extended weekends a year at a state park.

Looking at Sams they have the Duracell standard and AGM. Big difference in cost and I don't mind spending it if the AGM's are worth it.

Appreciate the input.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
AGMs:
- Charge faster
- Don’t self-discharge as fast
- Are maintenance free (don’t need watering)
- Don’t corrode your battery compartment and cables

You have to decide if these features are worth the extra cost considering your financial situation. I don’t think that a strictly economic argument can be made in their favor. I have AGMs in my coach.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
AGMs:
- Charge faster

You have to decide if these features are worth the extra cost considering your financial situation. I don’t think that a strictly economic argument can be made in their favor. I have AGMs in my coach.
I believe for me those advantages are enough to pay the extra. Especially the not having to add water since there are times the coach sits in Florida for months unattended. Maybe a good reason the ones in it are shot.

Thanks for the input just needed a little nudge to get what I was thinking I wanted.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

'worth it' is the pivotal question... probably not.

why? you're not really using them for a lot of 'dry camping', per your post, and they'll not get a lot of use, having 'better' batteries will probably not be noticeable. You can spend the extra money, but like many things, since you're not really 'using' them much, the return would take so long that they may be replaced again by then!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #5

AGM batteries being worth it is a personal evaluation. For me, my AGMs which are in their 12th year are probably ready for replacements but in that 12 years, my maintenance has been zero.

Now for the 12 years, we have a excellent inverter/charger and 400 watts of solar power on a high end controller. So the batteries have been living in a very rich environment.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
'worth it' is the pivotal question... probably not.

why? you're not really using them for a lot of 'dry camping', per your post, and they'll not get a lot of use, having 'better' batteries will probably not be noticeable. You can spend the extra money, but like many things, since you're not really 'using' them much, the return would take so long that they may be replaced again by then!
MisterT, your thoughts were the same as mine and what was giving me reservation on spending the extra. I think that the no maintenance thing as my coach sits unattended for long periods of time in this case may win out. The $400extra +/- one time cost would give me piece of mind when not being checked monthly.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
AGM batteries being worth it is a personal evaluation. For me, my AGMs which are in their 12th year are probably ready for replacements but in that 12 years, my maintenance has been zero.

Now for the 12 years, we have a excellent inverter/charger and 400 watts of solar power on a high end controller. So the batteries have been living in a very rich environment.
I think the no maintenance thing is going to be the deciding factor. The batteries in the coach were bought 6 years ago and never used or maintained other then being plugged in the whole time. I checked the water levels when I got it they were ok at that time but they just do not hold a charge. When I unplug the coach and run off just solar they will drop down to 50% in a few hours.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #8

Nasdaqsam,

On our previous 2008 Monaco Dynasty, I replaced all of the wet-cell batteries with AGM's. During the wet-cell ownership, I had to have the battery tray repainted and I was cleaning the battery compartment on a regular basis.

We had 8 batteries as the coach was all electric. I checked the water every month adding just a little distilled water each time. That procedure killed my back leaning over with a jug of water.

So, when it came time for new batteries, I chose AGM's for the fact that they were low maintenance, virtually no sulfating and the battery compartment looked like new again (had it repainted).

Fast forward to the current coach. We have three Lithium Ion batteries that are probably doing the work of at least 10 AGM's. Our coach was designed from the ground up with this system. Our batteries can be drawn down to 30% and then the generator will kick on to recharge. These batteries are expected to give us at least 10 yrs. of use easily and likely 15 yrs. Very happy with it but the price of these batteries are a commitment.

Safe travels, go with the AGM's!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Nasdaqsam,

On our previous 2008 Monaco Dynasty, I replaced all of the wet-cell batteries with AGM's. During the wet-cell ownership, I had to have the battery tray repainted and I was cleaning the battery compartment on a regular basis.

We had 8 batteries as the coach was all electric. I checked the water every month adding just a little distilled water each time. That procedure killed my back leaning over with a jug of water.

So, when it came time for new batteries, I chose AGM's for the fact that they were low maintenance, virtually no sulfating and the battery compartment looked like new again (had it repainted).

Fast forward to the current coach. We have three Lithium Ion batteries that are probably doing the work of at least 10 AGM's. Our coach was designed from the ground up with this system. Our batteries can be drawn down to 30% and then the generator will kick on to recharge. These batteries are expected to give us at least 10 yrs. of use easily and likely 15 yrs. Very happy with it but the price of these batteries are a commitment.

Safe travels, go with the AGM's!
Mark
Mark, Thank you for adding to the conversation. I believe with all the help here the AGM's are the choice. I do agree the Lithium's are a great way to go if we used our coach different than we do.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #10

Either type of battery will lose its charge over time if left unattended (not plugged in). If parked outside a solar battery maintainer will help alleviate that condition and extend the life of the batteries.

Water loss occurs when batteries are constantly discharged and recharged. There are caps designed to condense the vapors and return the water to the battery thereby reducing water loss. Water loss will be minimal in batteries that sit or are seldom used. You may find that water will only need to be added every 3-6 months.

In your particular circumstance the additional maintenance on wet cell batteries will be slight and may be worth the $400 savings which could be used for other purposes.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #11

If just dry camping here and there, then maybe not worth the extra expense. but you gain flexibility in being able to do more, and the maintenance issue has been also noted.

We have an all electric with 8 batteries that we are picking up in a week (ordered it from the factory with AGM's). We also are putting 1000 Watts of solar on our unit, so we wanted at LEAST AGM's. Will we use them to the fullest? We are not sure, but we are prepared and have the flexibility to go off grid for some time, with fluid tanks being our biggest obstacle. We didn't want to go to the much higher lithium cost until we were sure. When these need replacing, we can make that decision and hopefully the cost will be much lower for the lithium.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies they are greatly appreciated. Another decision has been made today that has a slight effect on which to go with. I just realized our summer road trip runs pretty close to JC Refrigeration. I have been contemplating going with the residential unit they sell but since ours still "works" I was hesitant. Being so close to them is going to be something that is not going to happen again in the foresee able future so we are booking them to change that out. With that said the batteries are going to get a little more use than they do now so the AGM's will serve us better.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Primarily the advantage is the maintance free aspect. If checking water monthly and a annual battery bay cleaning is not a big deal to you, then buy wet and keep some money for other stuff.

I don't mind the battery maintenance. Bought six 6v interstate batteries at Costco last year for about $85/each. Working well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I have heard and what I have found

AGMs:
- Charge faster
Lifeline does recommend a faster recharge for THEIR AGM's. but that is brand specific, other brands. NOT so

In my testing this was never an issue with either AGM or Flooded wet so I can not say.

True

Not true. but they do not corrode as fast.. Corrosion happens due to many things. AGM's (And in fact most all Maintenance free types) address ONE of those issues.

Longer overall life.. I found the opposite

Can be mounted at odd angles, no This Side Up... True

WAY HIGHER COST.. True.