Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2023, 01:47 PM   #1

Are solar panels really worth it?

I live in the north Georgia mountains and use my small 14 foot vintage camper for close by “during the week” primitive camping with my puppy. We would only be gone at the most 3-4 days visiting primitive sites with no-hook-ups. I have bought a 400 watt inverter to run my fridge to keep my food cold, along with a very quiet Ryobi generator. I know 400 Watts isn’t much, but I can use battery operated “puck” lights for the short trips we take. I do have 5 AC outlets and a couple of lamps, that will plug into the Ryobi to charge my battery, but was wondering if a solar power system would do me any good…. Seems to be a lot of trouble…..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	393439  
B737tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2023, 02:17 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Heck, you could run to a Harbor Freight and grab one of these 100 watt systems.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-wa...kit-63585.html

We started out with one of them about 10 years ago, and it was a great system for what we had.

Heck, it's still working just fine and I loan that system out during the camping season to friends and family when they are in need of a battery charging system while boondocking.

Well worth the price man.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:10 PM   #3

Create a small test system with a USED PANEL and inexpensive charge controller (and 20-40' of wire). Make it a portable system. Aim it towards the sun and see how it goes on your next 3-4 day excursion.

I have routinely bought 100-250w used but working fine panels for $25-40 each. Makes for a very inexpensive system. Try it...you might like it.

Warning: Solar can be addictive...

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:47 PM   #4

You only use your camper 3-4 days a year?

Solar makes gives me piece of mind and keeps things running. Having a nice solar array with bunch of batteries makes it so I'm good and have redundancies like genny backup. It's well worth the cash to not have to deal with anything and just relax when we're out
Old 05-21-2023, 07:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have a battery in the camper? If so solar is worth it to keep the battery charged.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:27 PM   #6

If the generator that you already have is working for you and if you don't camp a lot in a year why make things more complicated and spend more money?

I have never owned a generator (three campers) and rely on solar but I do not have an inverter. We very rarely use RV parks and often boondock. Solar works well for us and for our use I am pleased with it. Solar has some benefits like no noise...

Solar can need larger battery capacity, different charging system if you want lithium, avoid camping under trees, concern with many cloudy days with high heating needs (without a larger system), messing with panel location, where to store portable panels or having enough space for fixed, ...

Having multiple options for power has its benefits for some but does it make sense if you are fine with what you have with a single source?
TimtheToolGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:39 PM   #7

A friend has an off-grid cabin that uses a 100-watt system to recharge his battery's. For two or three days of use each week it keeps up just fine. but on about the 4th day he has to run his generator for a few hours. He runs a tv, lights, a radio. etc... His last update he added a 400-watt wind generator that works well when the wind picks up at night.
Between the two he has not had to start his gen except when he is running construction tools. But he is pretty conservative in his power usage. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Solar works great, until it doesn't. You can design a system to ride out cloudy days but now you're all in - large battery banks, lots of panels, monitoring and control. You must park in a sunny spot, which during the summer ensures a toasty camper. I like shade. If the overarching goal is silence while camping, then that's your level of commitment. But if that isn't the goal and you bring along a generator anyway, then solar only offers fill-in, and who cares. When I tent and trailer camped I didn't even bring a generator, I used the truck that brought me there to charge batteries and run things. I wouldn't invest in a solar setup for a few weeks or less a year, just another layer of complication.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Solar works great, until it doesn't. You can design a system to ride out cloudy days but now you're all in - large battery banks, lots of panels, monitoring and control. You must park in a sunny spot, which during the summer ensures a toasty camper. I like shade. If the overarching goal is silence while camping, then that's your level of commitment. But if that isn't the goal and you bring along a generator anyway, then solar only offers fill-in, and who cares. When I tent and trailer camped I didn't even bring a generator, I used the truck that brought me there to charge batteries and run things. I wouldn't invest in a solar setup for a few weeks or less a year, just another layer of complication.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I don't get it, you ran a truck using its alternator to charge your batteries? Seems extremely inexpensive and likely a week of doing that the fuel/maintenance could easily buy a solar panel with mppt to achieve the same thing but last a decade

You can get a suitcase style solar panel 200w for like $200 then just plug it into one of those batteries like a Dr. Prepare version that has a mppt built in $250. Leave it in the sun away from your shaded camper or have a long wire/extension cord and you're good to go.

Solar works in clouds just not as well and if any issues you plan ahead and preserve battery power, or charge off your truck for a bit if you need it.
Captain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
you ran a truck using its alternator to charge your batteries?
Yep, it's made to do that. I will add the caveat that this is a popup trailer with a 35Ah or whatever battery, not a 5th wheel with 450 Ah. Not trying to keep up with entertainment centers or a compressor fridge, just some lights, a vent fan and charging some devices. For a few days I may not do anything, but if I see the battery getting low I can give the battery a boost. I use a small inexpensive inverter at the truck, a 120V extension cord and let it idle for a little while. Why would I haul around a generator and gas for a once every few days charge?

Yes I could (and have) haul around portable panels. I don't see the value - it's one more thing I have to set up, tend to, be concerned of theft, and then put away - in the same truck that already has a kilowatt or whatever generator built in. My trailer without solar is simpler, just a small battery and a basic monitor. The battery had a handle and I used powerpoles with it, so I could pluck it out from it's nest in literally seconds when I wanted to take it out to charge it or use the battery somewhere else.

Quote:
if any issues you plan ahead and preserve battery power, or charge off your truck for a bit if you need it.
By setting up to charge off the truck I'm planning ahead, and can charge whenever I need it, including inclement weather or night time. For extended boondocking or full timing you can easily make a case for solar but for weekend trips or once in a while, this system has worked out perfectly for me for decades of tent and trailer camping.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:51 PM   #11

Double Duty

For the amount of time you use your camper, adding solar would be a bigger waste of money than buying whiskey. I like whiskey more than “solar without a cause”. If you can get solar to do more than one task, then it’s worth considering. 200 watts of portable solar panels can charge a small (1000wh) powerstation that can provide some backup power at home when there’s a power outage, and you can use that same powerstation/portable panel combo to take with you in your camper. You’ll still need to take the Ryobi, but you might not need to fire it up. Bottom line is that solar is a waste of money for your camping needs unless it serves more needs than camping.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #12

Solar does not have to be a lot of trouble beyond the initial installation.

Portable panels are an ongoing nuisance, probably more of a nuisance than a generator. However, for your 3-4 day camping trips, one option is enough battery capacity to last the 3-4 days without solar or use of the generator. Another is enough battery for 2-3 days and a bit of solar to eke out the extra day or two. On a four-day camping trip you'll get four days of solar to cover the 3rd and 4th days so won't need a large solar system.

Fixed roof panels are not as effective as portable ground mount panels, but that just means installing about 50% more than on a ground system. And, once the solar is installed its automatic and no trouble. No setup, no stowing panels, no theft worries, etc. You will have to mind the battery as you do now. You still may need to run the generator if it's been cloudy or you are camping under trees.

All you need is a panel or two and a solar controller. Two wires from the roof down to the solar controller and two from the solar controller to the battery.

So, IMHO, whether solar is worthwhile depends largely on how you feel about using the generator and whether you camp under trees and/or in cloudy seasons.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:16 PM   #13

For us purchasing solar would be a waste of money and valuable resources, better utilized by someone, who could better justify its use.

We normally stay at full hookup places. The few times a year that we do boondock, we would still carry a genny especially during the hot summer months, to run the AC.

So it would be hard for me to justify the cost of the whole system complete with controller and batteries, and the additional weight to my TT, when I already have a genny.

Safe travels and all the best.
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:27 PM   #14

I love my 280W of portable solar. Been using it for 5 years. Takes me about 10 minutes to set it up and it keeps me with power my entire trip. I don't use much power, lights, tooth brush, laptop, and phone charging, water pump, propane fridge and water heater, and the heater. I average about 20 days a year and have ran my generator twice. Both times I was just being cautious, probably not necessary at all.
Before I bought my TT, I rented a TT and took a trip to Yosemite. No solar, rules said generator from 7 to 9, noon to 2, and 5 to 7. I ran my generator at 8AM and I nearly had a fist fight with half the campground. I explained I was just trying to follow the rules, they said they didn't like the rules, I said tell the ranger to tell me I can run the genny 9 to 10 and I would gladly do it.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels