Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
ARP Wiring with Norcold 1210 and Recall Box

I'm wiring in my new ARP 2.1 with fan control into a new Norcold 1210 that has the recall high temperature box pre-installed by Norcold next to the control box.

ARPrv's wiring diagram for Norcold 1200 with this box shows the 12v yellow wire from the ARP to the recall box 12v+ IN. It does not show what to do with the 12v+ wire that use to go to the recall box. I am assuming that it is the new 12v+ into the ARP - RED wire into ARP. Is this correct, or do I just leave that 12v+ wire that was going to the recall box disconnected and use another 12v for the input to the ARP?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My ARP Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	4067
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	107699  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't have the 8100 but the 6182

But your diagram looks like you do not have a 12v source.

On mine, the original 12volt source wire connects to the ARP controller red wire and then the yellow ARP wire connects to where you disconnected the original 12v input

Hope this helps, hard to explain, but all you are doing is inserting the ARP control into the circuit

on the ARP diagram for your 1200 it has the ARP red wire going to the RV 12v source

ARP yellow wire going to your recall box

http://www.arprv.com/norcold-1200.html
Old 09-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I don't have the 8100 but the 6182

But your diagram looks like you do not have a 12v source.

On mine, the original 12volt source wire connects to the ARP controller red wire and then the yellow ARP wire connects to where you disconnected the original 12v input

Hope this helps, hard to explain, but all you are doing is inserting the ARP control into the circuit

on the ARP diagram for your 1200 it has the ARP red wire going to the RV 12v source

ARP yellow wire going to your recall box

Norcold 1200 | Norcold Fans | Wire ARPrv Control | Norcold High Temp Kit
Thanks for the help. My original diagram was the same as you mentioned, 12v taken of panel, goes to the ARP and then yellow back to fridge panel 12v IN.

On my drawing, the 12v source to the ARP (Red wire) that comes from the Norcold is the 12v wire that did go to the Recall Box 12v IN. That wire comes from the control board marked limit out and says 12v+ IN on the recall box. The drawing for this is here. Notice that drawing shows the yellow wire going to the recall box, but does not explain what happens to the 12v+ wire that was originally there. I put that 12v wire to the ARP red 12v IN as that is the same logic you applied and I did on my original drawing before I read more in depth on ARPrv and saw the install with the recall box. My original drawing was made before my new Norcold was installed as I did not realize they would have a recall box on new fridges. My feeling is I could do exactly as you stated and my original drawing, but in the instructions on the ARP they specifically show the yellow going to the recall box,

A side effect of this will then shut the ARP off if I shut the fridge off as it is only powered when the fridge is turned on, versus a continuous 12v. I don't know what the intention of ARPrv is here since the diagram I linked does not mention the 12v wire being removed from the recall device.

Here is another drawing to add to the confusion.

Recall wiring on my old 1200 The old wiring with the recall took the 12v into the fridge and applied it directly to the recall box which then powered the fridge with the blue wire. Those two wires still exist, but the red now comes from the circuit board to the recall box.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a drawing of the 1210IM without the ARP.

I suspect I should use the rigs 12v input to the control board and attach it to the ARP red wire and then yellow out to the control board and ignore the permanent recall box that is now powered off the control board.

The ARPrv drawings are from the recall addition, not the new design that includes the recall box from scratch.

The recall box use to be powered from the RV - intercepting the power to the control board as seen in the second drawing from ARPrv.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1210 Original.jpg
Views:	1448
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	107746   Click image for larger version

Name:	original with recall.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	107747  

Old 09-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes a little confusing, but if the fridge is off there is no need for the controllr to be on, no?

Your model has more variables, I would call them up, I cant remember the guy name there, but I talked to him and he is more than helpful
Old 09-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I contacted Paul at ARPrv via email last night and have my answer this morning. He says that Norcold must have changed their wiring again, back to a way they did originally with the recall.

He says to wire it inline with the control board and not the recall box. So your original suggestion and my original drawing before I started reading the instructions

He also said I will need to run auto tune as this boiler will have higher temps and shutoff the unit.

So this is the latest and hopefully final drawing:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	How I wired.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	107760  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
I contacted Paul at ARPrv via email last night and have my answer this morning. He says that Norcold must have changed their wiring again, back to a way they did originally with the recall.

He says to wire it inline with the control board and not the recall box. So your original suggestion and my original drawing before I started reading the instructions

He also said I will need to run auto tune as this boiler will have higher temps and shutoff the unit.

So this is the latest and hopefully final drawing:
glad you got it squared away
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Just in case someone comes along there is a slight change to my drawing above. Paul from ARPrv said that the ARP should be grounded with the incoming ground wire for the control board. He said that is a better ground than the Norcold's way off grounding their chassis. I ran it to a grounding bar and it became the ground for the ARP, fans and control board.

Thanks CJ7365 for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	How I wired.jpg
Views:	2052
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	107828  

Tags
norcold, recall, wiring