RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #1

Attwood AFMD won't stay running - bad board?

Hello,

I've got an Attwood AFMD20141_a that won't stay lit and goes into lockout after three attempts. I've noticed that the ignitor seems to start as soon as the furnace starts the blower and is staying powered after it lights. I'm wondering if that's the problem.

It looks like some water has gotten to this board. Again, thinking that could be contributing to the troubles. I've ordered a new board but it won't be here until early next week. I'm of course in Kansas right now where it's getting down into the upper 20s overnight.

Any other ideas?

Ben
haveaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #2

Water and circuit board do not play well together

Ignitor should NOT start sparking UNTIL Fan has run thru purge cycle (15-17 seconds) THEN circuit board sends DC to Spark Electrode AND Gas Valve
Once flame is established/proved...no more sparking (6 seconds)

Do you notice the RED LED on circuit board flashing?
1 flash ---airflow/limit switch
2 flashes -- Flame sense fault
3 flashes -- Ignition Lockout

Dometic (Atwood) does have a relocation Kit for circuit board to lift it up off floor where it gets wet
\They have provided them for Free ---even out of warranty so worth a call
1-866-869-3118
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks Old-Biscuit for the info. After three attempts I'm getting three rapid blinks. After cleaning the board up some it seems that the ignitor is now not coming on until after the pre-purge cycle. But, it's not turning off until the gas is shut-off as well. I'm thinking that something is still not right with the board, but I suppose it could also be a failure to prove the flame.

I'm not sure that there's a good way to test that, but perhaps you know of one?

Ben
Old 11-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveaday View Post
Thanks Old-Biscuit for the info. After three attempts I'm getting three rapid blinks. After cleaning the board up some it seems that the ignitor is now not coming on until after the pre-purge cycle. But, it's not turning off until the gas is shut-off as well. I'm thinking that something is still not right with the board, but I suppose it could also be a failure to prove the flame.

I'm not sure that there's a good way to test that, but perhaps you know of one?

Ben
Continuous sparking is a BAD Circuit Board
Spark should stop when flame is proven
Of flame proving was NOT occurring circuit board would shut down gas valve regardless of sparking

Circuit board can be tested using a 'board tester' ---- some RV repair shops have them

More drying using haior dryer with circuit board disconnected and removed so both sides can be blown dry MIGHT improve function
New board and WET....end up with same issue...bad board

Relocate/lift board .....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

Old-Biscuit, you’re exactly correct. It did eventually dry out enough to now function perfectly. I’ve ordered a new to use as a spare. I also noticed the caulking around the furnace had failed so I recalled that, tightened the cover and reinstalled the board on spacers to raise it up a little.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue, but if not I’ll have an extra board and can do more about moving the board.

Thanks again
Ben