Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #1

atwood 10 gal hotwater heater isn,t right

I,ve been trying to get this electric ,propane working again I,ve replaced controls. elements ,relay, theromostat , and the other stat , actually the later 2 4 times and still everything shuts down at 98 electric or gas both the same ,I cleaned the tank, It wasn,t bad at all , the thermostat and ecd, arenew today and again the same so I jumped them both wit fuses and great it heated till it poped the relief valve , so as you can see I,m completly lost I hepair alot of things with no problems but This is one I can,t figure out any suggestions other than toss and put a surburban in , Thanks
djcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #2

What year is it?

After 2004 the electric & gas are controlled using 12vDC, common set of t-stat/ECO and circuit board
Prior to 2004....electric/gas were totally separate

So have to think you have a 2004-present vintage with common controls

"I,ve replaced controls. elements ,relay, theromostat , and the other stat....T-stat/ECO New today"

Provided they are held TIGHT to WH Tank wall:
T-stat opens at 140*F
ECO opens at 180*F

*If jumpering should only do the T-stat so ECO is still in the control loop
T&P pops open at 210*F/150 PSI....Scalding water/3rd degree burns

Only heating to 98*F on electric and gas
How are you measuring that temp?
Where are you measuring that temp?

Either t-stat is faulty, spade connections are loose, bad GROUNDS or circuit board is faulty

When heating cycle is going on........
Measure DC on Brown wire TO t-stat and FROM t-stat
***Top connector Brown wire is DC TO T-stat
**Bottom connector Brown wire is DC FROM T-stat (thru the Thermal Fuse) Blows at 190*F and NO DC until replaced/removed
DC should still be TO T-stat when heating cycle stops.
**Top Connector Brown wire
IF DC to t-stat drops out during heating cycle then Circuit Board
IF DC from t-stat drops out during heating cycle before reaching 140*F then T-stat is the problem

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:06 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What year is it?

After 2004 the electric & gas are controlled using 12vDC, common set of t-stat/ECO and circuit board
Prior to 2004....electric/gas were totally separate

So have to think you have a 2004-present vintage with common controls

"I,ve replaced controls. elements ,relay, theromostat , and the other stat....T-stat/ECO New today"

Provided they are held TIGHT to WH Tank wall:
T-stat opens at 140*F
ECO opens at 180*F

*If jumpering should only do the T-stat so ECO is still in the control loop
T&P pops open at 210*F/150 PSI....Scalding water/3rd degree burns

Only heating to 98*F on electric and gas
How are you measuring that temp?
Where are you measuring that temp?

Either t-stat is faulty, spade connections are loose, bad GROUNDS or circuit board is faulty

When heating cycle is going on........
Measure DC on Brown wire TO t-stat and FROM t-stat
***Top connector Brown wire is DC TO T-stat
**Bottom connector Brown wire is DC FROM T-stat (thru the Thermal Fuse) Blows at 190*F and NO DC until replaced/removed
DC should still be TO T-stat when heating cycle stops.
**Top Connector Brown wire
IF DC to t-stat drops out during heating cycle then Circuit Board
IF DC from t-stat drops out during heating cycle before reaching 140*F then T-stat is the problem

THANK You f
Desert Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:12 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE

Biscuit! Fantastic information. I want you for President! I had a service provider go through mine and said it is working? Same scenario as posted. Works great on propane most of the time. No go on the electric side. Have not replaced the heating element because this RV is costing me the same as my ex wife! Any more suggestions? Thank You!
Desert Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Man View Post
Biscuit! Fantastic information. I want you for President! I had a service provider go through mine and said it is working? Same scenario as posted. Works great on propane most of the time. No go on the electric side. Have not replaced the heating element because this RV is costing me the same as my ex wife! Any more suggestions? Thank You!
Sorry for your troubles
Yours is an older/earlier version with different controls/wiring etc

Should Post your OWN thread so responses are for your issue and don't get confused with current issue OP is having
Old 06-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #6

The water heater was put in in 2012 at camping world this is on my mothers 2006 bounder .we been checking the temp at the sink when it has run a while and they have told me there isn,t enough hot water to get a shower anymore they have ordered a new dometic but won,t be here for a month , and the fact is they live in this rv all that being said I thank you for the imput now i have a way to see were the problem lies
Old 06-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #7

Atwood GC10A-4E ( Gas Combo 10 gal 4th version Electronic Ignition)
Cut Out Dimensions: 16″ Wide x 15.5″ High x 20.8″ Deep

Dometic WH-10GEA (Water Heater 10 gal Gas/Electric)
Cut-Out Dimensions: 15.75" Wide x 16.25" High x 20.63" Deep

Atwood 10 gal model in 2006 would be the same model in 2012
Pretty short life span for TWO Atwoods???
Old 06-29-2022, 06:39 PM   #8

hopefully a fifth t stat will be good they have been the same every one of them even the adjustable oneupper 90,s is all then shuts down and will not come back on unless the switch is worked
Old 06-29-2022, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcanada View Post
hopefully a fifth t stat will be good they have been the same every one of them even the adjustable oneupper 90,s is all then shuts down and will not come back on unless the switch is worked
Did you measure DC Voltage to and from T-stat(s) when heating is occurring?
Also when it shuts down early.

Loss of DC TO T-stat....circuit board
Loss of DC FROM T-stat......t-stat/wire connectors

*When T-stat OPENS there should still be DC TO the t-stat
T-stat controls the heating by opening/closing

Are you SURE the WH Tank BYPASS Valve is NOT leaking thru diluting the Hot water temp?
When heat source shuts off/T-stat Opens......measure water temp via T&P Relief Valve
*CAUTION: S/B 140*F
Old 06-30-2022, 07:04 AM   #10

Yes sir i did from controller it was 12.9 the other side of the theromastat was 2. after shutting off at around 94
Old 06-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes sir i did from controller it was 12.9 the other side of the theromastat was 2. after shutting off at around 94
Was the 94*F measured with water from T&P Relief or from a faucet?

T-stat closes for heating cycle at 110*F
So how can temp be 94*F?????

WH Tank BYPASS
OR
Inside/outside shower not being turned off via hot/cold knobs but just the 'button'/'lever' on shower handle???

5 t-stats failing?????

Having to turn switch Off/back ON to restart heating cycle suggest Circuit Board issue
Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #12

Are those replacement T-stats : Atwood 91447
12VDC T-stat/ECO
Old 07-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #13

well that would be about right I bought the more expensive one ,and it has been used to long to return Sounds about right though it has been the same since new the valve could be faulty ,For the most part I,m a good mechanic, and this thing keeps me having second thoughts ,and the poor folks have been with out since may ,camping world did nothing for them but order another that is a month away from delievry, I,m going to do some more tests today and see if i can figure it out while they are away today,I,m a carpenter not an electrician ,here i go thanks for all the info
Old 07-01-2022, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
well that would be about right I bought the more expensive one ,and it has been used to long to return Sounds about right though it has been the same since new the valve could be faulty ,For the most part I,m a good mechanic, and this thing keeps me having second thoughts ,and the poor folks have been with out since may ,camping world did nothing for them but order another that is a month away from delievry, I,m going to do some more tests today and see if i can figure it out while they are away today,I,m a carpenter not an electrician ,here i go thanks for all the info
Sorry but I feel like I have come in on the middle of a conversation.
The above is not giving any specific info and questions asked are not being answered

Feel like going in circles....hopefully someone can come along and help

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater