Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Atwood 10 gal HW heater tank needs replacing

#93953 tank for a Atwood GC10A-3E heater. Does anyone have a good company to order one from? I found one at this website, but am looking for a company some one has used before and is satisfied with.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Brad

http://https://www.makariosrv.com/at...c10a-3e-93953/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

Your Link didn't take me to Makarois RV

Had to use this link

https://www.makariosrv.com/atwood-re...c10a-3e-93953/

Mararois RV has been around for many years...reputable company

Cheaper....
Atwood Water Heater 93953 Replacement 10 Gallon Tank Kit - Hardware - Parts & Accessories - RV Water Heaters - RV Appliances

And cheaper ...
https://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-w...3-p-29463.html

All replacements should come with insulation jacket, ring/gasket set and 120V Set of T-tstat/ECO and electric element....so call verify kit includes those items

Shipping costs need to be figured into pricing also.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. We are tearing up carpeting and drying out now. Not fun when you are full timing. But doable.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

Make sure on your replacement tank that the tube ends for the propane flame are perfectly round, otherwise the rings will not go on (easily).
Old 11-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious as to why you are replacing instead of fixing?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Just curious as to why you are replacing instead of fixing?

It's 16 years old and leaking. I m 66 years old and also leak! DW is thinking of ordering a Brad replacement,too!

Actually, I m not replacing the whole heater, just the tank. All the electronics and the propane burner are being reused.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #7

Just a FYI to anyone that may go thru what I am. Our motorhome is a 2002 model. The water heater plumbing, which includes a hot water bypass valve on ours, has no union to take it apart. I had to break a 1/2" plastic "T" to get it apart. Then, I couldn't find any plastic plumbing stuff at Home Depot or Lowes, so I went with galvanized. And a 1/2" union.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Take some photos to document your findings so we can see what you have.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Just a FYI to anyone that may go thru what I am. Our motorhome is a 2002 model. The water heater plumbing, which includes a hot water bypass valve on ours, has no union to take it apart. I had to break a 1/2" plastic "T" to get it apart. Then, I couldn't find any plastic plumbing stuff at Home Depot or Lowes, so I went with galvanized. And a 1/2" union.

Unless you are using a Galvanic coupler, I would ditch the Galvanized fittings if they are in contact with the Atwood Aluminum tank. The Galvanized fittings will cause galvanic corrosion and your nice new tank will be toast. The only time I have ever heard of the Atwood tanks leaking is when the owners replace the plastic drain plug with a metal plug or "Hot Rod" electric conversion heater. Over the years, the tank is slowly rotted away and you eventually have the problem leaks.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
Unless you are using a Galvanic coupler, I would ditch the Galvanized fittings if they are in contact with the Atwood Aluminum tank. The Galvanized fittings will cause galvanic corrosion and your nice new tank will be toast. The only time I have ever heard of the Atwood tanks leaking is when the owners replace the plastic drain plug with a metal plug or "Hot Rod" electric conversion heater. Over the years, the tank is slowly rotted away and you eventually have the problem leaks.
Will brass fittings at the connections to the tank be alright and then use galvanized after that?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #11

There was around a half a gallon left in the old water heater. Here is a picture of what came out. It was a very slimy mess, which is a good reminder for us to drain/rinse our water heaters periodically! It was like a watery mud!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_102158.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	226101  
Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #12

After (I don't want to admit how) many, many trips to the plumbing supply, I am successful with a functioning water heater once again. I went with 1/2 inch PVC instead of brass for a substantial cost savings. The only trouble, other than the pvc hassle, was the ECO cut off switch staying put. Both switches didn't want to stay underneath the tabs. I m going to order new ones.

If you can get the plumbing off of the back without damaging it like I did, it a easy exchange. There were only around 6 screws holding all of the components in on the front, like the burner and exhaust system. There were, of course, about 24 screws holding the unit's face to the side of the RV.

DW just got out of the shower. She is tickled, which means I am also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_191305.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	226258  
Old 11-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Brass would also be a problem, Aluminum is lower on the Galvanic Scale than Brass or Galvanized Metals. You did right by using the plastic and it should last a long time. I have heard of people draining their water heaters and removing the T&P Safety valve and filling the unit up with vinegar, reinstalling the safety valve and fire up the unit to de-lime if the crud on the bottom can't be flushed out with a flush wand. So far I have not had to do this as my annual draining and soft water usage has kept the lime to the minimum. I wish I had a 10 gallon heater in my coach. Six is just cutting it to close for showers.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #14

Under 'normal' conditions that PVC pipe/elbows should be OK.......
Problem is it is just barely heat/temp rated for how hot the water COULD get

Normal t-stat....140*F
ECO/Hi temp t-stat...180*F
T&P Relief Valve....210*F/150 psi

IIRC PVC pressure ratings are at 73*F and 140*F is maximum temp rating which derates pressure rating (multiply pressure rating by .22)

That is why Atwood uses a NYLON drain plug
RV Plumbing is PEX
200°F at 80 psi
180°F at 100 psi
74°F at 160 psi

Just concerned with the use of that PVC on the HOT water heater
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, tank