Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #29

Furnace burner short cycling

This thread is old but hoping to help someone like me who just ran into a problem with a new-to-me-motorhome searching for answers.
My class A atwood furnace would fire up, run 3-5 minutes and shutdown the burner (fan would still blow hot and gradually get colder as heat is removed from the furnace) and then fire the burner back up after a new cycle.
After replacing the thermostat and propane 2 stage valve without change, I decided to look into the airflow issue someone here mentioned before attempting to get at the high temp limit switch.
My RV had 3 four inch ducts and 1 smaller 2 inch duct leading to the bathroom. As indicated on someone's previous post, this is not enough ducting for the furnace as it trips the high limit temp switch.
After removing the small duct from the furnace leaving a gaping hole for plenty of hot air to escape it NO LONGER SHORT CYCLED.
I am adding a 5th 4 inch duct to the furnace that will direct heat toward the cab as there currently isnt a duct going to. Hopefully this will solve my problem. I will try to update this once complete.
Newbe2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newbe202, Welcome to the Forum.

I had similar problem. On mine, the round vent louvers could easily be closed and block off airflow. I( I think they would sometimes close by themselves). I physically removed the "adjustment" portion of the louvers so they are 100% open, all the time.. No more short cycling.

I want to look into adding another vent just to help it some more..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #31

[QUOTE=Newbe2020;5144092]This thread is old but hoping to help someone like me who just ran into a problem with a new-to-me-motorhome searching for answers.
My class A atwood furnace would fire up, run 3-5 minutes and shutdown the burner (fan would still blow hot and gradually get colder as heat is removed from the furnace) and then fire the burner back up after a new cycle.
After replacing the thermostat and propane 2 stage valve without change, I decided to look into the airflow issue someone here mentioned before attempting to get at the high temp limit switch.
My RV had 3 four inch ducts and 1 smaller 2 inch duct leading to the bathroom. As indicated on someone's previous post, this is not enough ducting for the furnace as it trips the high limit temp switch.
After removing the small duct from the furnace leaving a gaping hole for plenty of hot air to escape it NO LONGER SHORT CYCLED.
I am adding a 5th 4 inch duct to the furnace that will direct heat toward the cab as there currently isnt a duct going to. Hopefully this will solve my problem. I will try to update this once complete.

UPDATE: FIXED
Furnace heats the rv up to set temp of 72 without shutting off at all until it reaches the right interior temp.
I Installed a 5th duct running towards the front of the motorhome placing the vent on the wall near the door to direct more heat up in the cab area.
I am really confused as to how this passed through QC at the manufacturer. Way to go Jayco
Newbe2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #32

Mystery Hose(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe2020 View Post
This thread is old but hoping to help someone like me who just ran into a problem with a new-to-me-motorhome searching for answers.
After replacing the Atwood 8535 for a new Dometic (Dometic bought them out) and connecting the mystery hose ,the heat has surely gotten better.Coulda,shoulda,woulda took pictures of all the huge knock-outs for ducting available on top and sides of both new and old furnace.
With the Poweblanket Extreme heating the sub zero propane tanks to Florida like temperatures you might cook an egg on the metal registers closest to the furnace.
Might have to add 5th hose as you say so overlimit switch won’t cut out.

Going more propane and not so much electrical at 0.19/kwh ,with tax in ,sure doesn’t hurt my feelings.

Super short burner on/off cycling can be caused by these new fangled valve, catastrophic spring loaded safety yo-yo device.If a higher than normal propane flow is detected ,it reverts to a yo-yo valve that just blows/burns and repeats.
I usually have turned valve to propane on very quickly ,so have to shut off both tanks ,unscrew both fittings,retighten,,and reset by SUPER-SLOW opening of the valves.
TRIPLE 555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, furnace, ace