Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I just go to Menards and get a cpvc plug and a spare for under $1. Use Teflon tape and never had any leaks or broken plugs.
Only issue with PVC/CPVC is they are not heat/pressure rated for the water heater temps that can be achieved.
That is another reason NYLON plug is used
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #16

I have seen someone use brass or galvanized plugs, these are not to be used either.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:49 PM   #17

Ya, it never ceases to amaze me how many people try to "out think" the engineers who design the water heaters.

Were the factory plugs $20 or something ridiculous, I can see looking for a "Plan B". BUT..............
Old 05-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Ya, it never ceases to amaze me how many people try to "out think" the engineers who design the water heaters.

Were the factory plugs $20 or something ridiculous, I can see looking for a "Plan B". BUT..............

The engineering resulted in a 1/2" bung being installed to drain the tank .

The nylon plugs were decided by the bean counters looking for the cheapest plug .

Does anyone think that they had our best interests in mind ? Nothing would make them happier than us having to buy a new heater because we cross threaded the plug.

Regarding cross threading , a good weld shop can fix it . I've had an Atwood aluminum tank repaired when it froze and split open .

I've used a brass plug for decades . Never had to repair a tank or replace a plug .

Heck , even the 110v HottRod electric heater conversions for propane water heaters are made of brass , and they screw in the drain bung .

Use what you want that gives you peace of mind .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Atwood 6 gal Water Heater Drain plug fix.

Before you start coming down on me for using a piece of brass pipe in the drain hole, remember, the pressure relief valve is made of similar materials and seems to do fine over the life of the water heater. If the aluminum to brass connection was a major problem, the relief valves would have to be made from a different material.

I used a 4 inch by ½ inch brass pipe nipple from Ace Hardware to extend the drain plug past the gas valve allowing access. Harder to find was the ½ inch female pipe thread to male garden hose adapter.

I got one through Amazon = Joywayus Reducer Hex Bushing Brass Reducing Cast Pipe Fitting 1/2" NPT Female x 3/4" G Male Thread Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Joywayus-Redu.../dp/B07WLQSD6P). The shorter the better.

All I do to drain my tank is remove the Garden Hose cap and open the relief valve. (https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Brass.../dp/B000CSXIMW)

I don’t allow water to set in my water heater when not using it. I use a short length of ½ inch plastic tubing (available at your local hardware store) to siphon out the water below the drain plug which also sucks out some of the calcium sediments that collect on the bottom of the tank and helps keep the inside of the tank cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_191342-480.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	365188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_192442-480.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	365191  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-2 fpt-M Garden Hose Adapter_-480.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	365192  
Attached Images

DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Nothing would make them happier than us having to buy a new heater because we cross threaded the plug.

Sorry, I am confused. How does cross threading a nylon/plastic plug damage aluminum threads???

Purposefully, the plug, not the tank is the "weak link"= no tank damage.

BUT, as you suggest, do what makes you happy.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #21
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only issue with PVC/CPVC is they are not heat/pressure rated for the water heater temps that can be achieved.
That is another reason NYLON plug is used

A quick web search on pipe plugs......

CPVC is rated for 400psi @ room temp, and 100 psi at 180*

Nylon is rated 150 psi @ room temp. Psi drops as temps rise.

FWIW....I have never had an issue using $1 PVC/CPVC (I actually use
PVC plug), but if a $20 nylon RV pipe plug makes someone sleep better, thats OK too.

What is the temp and PSI rating of the Atwood TPS relief valve?
Old 05-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would stay with the nylon plug. I ordered a spare and keep it in the water heater door. Along with a tube of Teflon paste. I have had the spare for years.

In the fall, spring and winter we do a lot of camping where we need to winterize on the road. It nice having the stuff all in the water heater compartment. Just grab the wrench. I bet we have that plug out at least 10 times a year.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post

Before you start coming down on me for using a piece of brass pipe in the drain hole, remember, the pressure relief valve is made of similar materials and seems to do fine over the life of the water heater. If the aluminum to brass connection was a major problem, the relief valves would have to be made from a different material.

I used a 4 inch by ½ inch brass pipe nipple from Ace Hardware to extend the drain plug past the gas valve allowing access. Harder to find was the ½ inch female pipe thread to male garden hose adapter.

I got one through Amazon = Joywayus Reducer Hex Bushing Brass Reducing Cast Pipe Fitting 1/2" NPT Female x 3/4" G Male Thread Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Joywayus-Redu.../dp/B07WLQSD6P). The shorter the better.

All I do to drain my tank is remove the Garden Hose cap and open the relief valve. (https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Brass.../dp/B000CSXIMW)

I don’t allow water to set in my water heater when not using it. I use a short length of ½ inch plastic tubing (available at your local hardware store) to siphon out the water below the drain plug which also sucks out some of the calcium sediments that collect on the bottom of the tank and helps keep the inside of the tank cleaner.
Actually I think what you did is a pretty good idea. I will say though I have used tubing and a shop vac to get all the water out but found out that if you have an electric element you might think you got all the water out but you didn't. I found out when I changed my element, there was still about 1.5 quarts in there. I though I had sucked it all out, even angling the tubing as best I could.
Anyway I decided no point in draining the WH all the time, especially if it's going to leave that much in the bottom. (I understand that the reason is so the element is always under water in case of accidental startup) So far I have never needed to winterize where I live and storing indoors.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:44 AM   #24

Just bought a 5-pack off Wally World.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/53621-08-...ity-5/39914487
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, leak