Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #1

Atwood furnace 8535 III

I am having issues with my forward furnace. Anyways I have to replace the valve assembly. And while replacing it I inspected the burner assy. And found it to be corroded and need of replacing the problem is this burner assy. Is obsolete and has no alternative part numbers. I have searched the web till my fingers have failed me. Would anyone out there know of anyone that sales hard to find parts. The part number I need is Atwood P/N 32811. I have called Atwood and checked with customer service and no luck what so ever. Please help. I want to use the RV this fall, and the nights are getting colder.
DCDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I take it that the burner is actually burned out and not just rusty. If just rusty, it can be cleaned. If burned out, you might be better off replacing the whole furnace as the heat exchanger will be not far out from needing replacing. The nearly 20 year old furnace will begin to nickel and dime you to death and you surely don't want it to be unsafe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

well I figured out what the problem was. It's a bad high limit switch. the burner is just a little rusty I cleaned the loose rust and cleaned up nicely. I am now in the process of replacing the limit switch. I need some advice Which is the best way to tackle this? It looks as if I have to remove the entire furnace to get to the limit switch. And are there special pop rivets that I use, what size will I need? Any and all advice will help. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, pull the furnace out of the case after wiring and lp gas line is disconnected The replacement high limit should already be riveted to a mounting plate that is screwed into place on the heat exchanger.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

well my question about that. #1,Is the whole door assembly that is pop riveted to the side of the MH have to come off? #2 And the pop rivets used have extra large heads. Are they a special kind of pop rivets? Or just normal ones with large heads? #3 Does the whole Assembly come out in one unit? Or do I have to dissemble the unit before I get to the heat exchanger?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Usually, screws are used to attach the furnace door panel. I suppose pop rivets could have been used. Why don't you send a photo so I can make sure we are on the same page. Once you gain access you should be able to remove the furnace and leave the casing installed in the coach.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

Atwood Furnace

hop you can tell by the pictures what I am talking about, If you need more let me know. I am checking my messages often say 2-3 times a hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Furnace 213.jpg
Views:	2925
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	74126   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Furnace 215.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	74127  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Furnace 216.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	74128  
Old 09-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #8

I don't like tearing into things blindly. It can get people into trouble sometimes. Although I have a lot of experience mechanically, from commercial aircraft @ BF Goodrich aerospace, to auto mechanic, and diesel mechanic in the US Navy
Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
This is the older style and yes, drilling out the rivets and completely removing the entire furnace will be required if you cannot get to the backside of the furnace from inside the coach. You may be able to use screws when reinstalling in lieu of rivets. Quite a job but try to find out why you are loosing air flow to cause the high limit to be cycling and go bad. It can be a discharge or return air issue.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

well I removed the rivets, And no way to reinstall new rivets. So I purchased some screws to hold the unit. The high limit switch is open and not cycling on and off. I purchased new Atwood limit switch. And I am replacing the burner gasket as well. The hear exchanger looks to be in great shape. No rust, no holes, don't even show much signs of heat. I am still waiting for the gasket to make it here. Purchased my parts from e bay and American RV Company.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #11

I am looking for that burner also. Any suggestions where to look? Thanks ,H

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, furnace