Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #1

Atwood furnace 8535-IV motor/combustion wall

I have a 99 Fleetwood Southwind. The front furnace, 8535 iv, needs a new motor. I purchased the correct one and went about pulling the furnace apart. I got everything taken apart except the old motor and combustion fan. It is the metal fan and had rusted to the shaft from the motor. It wasn’t budging at all. One last time I tried removing the fan and the motor mount/combustion wall that holds the motor shattered into a million pieces. No amount of epoxy is going to fix this. I can’t find this piece anywhere. I have also reached out to dometic with slim to no hope of receiving anything useful back from them. I have called rv graveyards and the majority have advised they toss any furnaces that aren’t in working order so I’m not finding this piece that way either.

I have added a photo of the furnace blowout and the piece is circled in red.

We are currently using 2 tiny space heaters and the rear furnace but I’m scared this will happen with the rear too before I can get the front furnace fixed. Does anyone know where I can find this $0.25 piece of plastic so we don’t freeze this winter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42117566-42B6-49A2-AECD-B364229B65DD.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	349369  
GATQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
If you any decent diagrams/measurements of it, there could be an option to get a shop to 3D print one for you. Just a thought -
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:52 PM   #3

I'm an RV repairman and this is one of the parts I can't find anywhere.
A1RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1RVTraveler View Post
I'm an RV repairman and this is one of the parts I can't find anywhere.
I was afraid of this comment. However, I was digging through the annals of the internets last night and stumbled upon a website where I was able to add this item and purchase. Who knows if they are actually in stock or not. I will wait to see if I actually get them (I ordered 2 because we have the same furnace in the rear. So would rather be prepared for the explosion on that one). If I actually get them I will come back and update this thread with the website.

Crossing fingers, toes, eyes and a couple other things.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATQ View Post
I was afraid of this comment. However, I was digging through the annals of the internets last night and stumbled upon a website where I was able to add this item and purchase. Who knows if they are actually in stock or not. I will wait to see if I actually get them (I ordered 2 because we have the same furnace in the rear. So would rather be prepared for the explosion on that one). If I actually get them I will come back and update this thread with the website.

Crossing fingers, toes, eyes and a couple other things.
That will be a gold mine IF they have them in stock cause they are NOT in production
Dometic is phasing out Atwood Brand and replacing them with their Brand Model Versions.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #6

Sorry for the months long waiting. The parts I ordered were a scam. The website I ordered from ended up being a spoofed scam site. I had to do a fraud report through my credit card to get my money back. This sucks. Hopefully there is some other option that comes up since our furnace is still out. We have used small space heaters through the winter and they mostly did there job.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #7

Thank you for the update. Very much appreciated.

I think I have the same furnace. Looking at my cell phone pics, yes, I have the same model.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:40 PM   #8

Hi GATQ, I have an Atwood 8940, I just went out and looked at mine, I've changed the motor once ,,,,your right that rusted fan is a bummer to remove. Next time I will cut the motot shaft off and work on getting the fan off on my work bench. Now to your problem,,, my 8940 looks like your design except the motor mounting panel are metal. Look at the 8940 schmetic and see if you might use those parts with a little enginuety.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Have you tried Amazon. I'm not sure if this is the right one but check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-33128-...%2C146&sr=8-20
firstaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #10

Thank you for that link firstaidman. I wished we could read below his schematic pic and it would tell us what #50 is, which he circled. I will look at my manual tomorrow, if I remember, lol. If it is called, umm, whatever they called it on Amazon, I would buy one.

EDIT: My blower wheel shattered on mine while in Phoenix area a few years back. I would get a spare one of those also.
EDIT #2: Combustion wheel amazon calls it.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:49 AM   #11

Looks like what he circuled is the plastic housing for the blower wheel, not the fan itself. The housing is integral with the flat panel the motor mounts to. The whole thing discentragrated. Later furnaces have metal panels rather than plastic.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #12

I thought I had a manual for mine, guess not. So I went online and printed a couple pages for now one being the schematic like the OP posted.
Yes, it says number 50 is a Motor/Combustion Wall.
So I think I just might try and order one from the link above, Amazon.
For you GATQ, that part number 50 that you circled, is that the only part that fell apart?? Is their more to it than just that one part?

I think I will go poke around on mine and see how things look and feel. I don't plan on updating our coach, so this one will do. Besides we do like it.
Take care.

EDIT: GATQ. Did you happen to look at the link provided by firstaidman, and look at the different views ?? After looking at the views, is that the part that fell apart on you? I don't want to order a part that isn't correct. Thank you
Old 04-10-2022, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Looks like what he circuled is the plastic housing for the blower wheel, not the fan itself. The housing is integral with the flat panel the motor mounts to. The whole thing discentragrated. Later furnaces have metal panels rather than plastic.

CLIFFORD
Thanks Cliff. I just reread your post. That is why I asked GATQ those questions, to be specific as to what fell apart exactly.
Are you saying that you had one that broke up also? Looks like it. In that case, it poses a different problem and solution.
I will check in later. Thank you to all.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Thanks Cliff. I just reread your post. That is why I asked GATQ those questions, to be specific as to what fell apart exactly.
Are you saying that you had one that broke up also? Looks like it. In that case, it poses a different problem and solution.
I will check in later. Thank you to all.
It was the combustion wall/motor mount wall that shattered. I did buy a new combustion fan wheel though as the old metal fan wheel is rusted to the burnt out fan motor.

I did end up finding a replacement part for the combustion wall/motor mount wall. It is a NOS item and I happened to get lucky. Or at least I am hoping I am getting lucky as it is in shipping right now from Canada and due in on 05/19. So we will see if it is the right one.

There is also one on eBay right now that I almost bought but it’s $125 vs what I paid $40ish including shipping to the US.

The website I found it on was youngfartsrvparts.com. I called them and discussed this part with them before making the purchase. I felt satisfied they were a legit company after our conversation. (I was burned by a fake website last time I tried to order this part).

Tags
ace, atwood, furnace, motor