Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Atwood Furnace blower noise

I have a hydro flame 8500-IV series furnace in my 2002 Airstream MOTORHOME. While running, it sounds like the blower (fan) is loose somewhere. Kind of a rattling and chirping sound combined. Anyhoo..... is there an easy way to check if maybe the clamp is loose? Or hopefully something "easy" to get to (if there is such a thing on an RV).

If anyone has repaired or knows what the issue is, I'd really appreciate your sound advice.

Thank you.

PS: I'm a solo woman determined to fix my own equipment!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe you are going to have to remove the furnace and open up the heat exchanger to get to the blower motor. What could be making the noise on that old of a unit is dry or worn out bearings in the fan motor. It could be out of balance due to a wasp nest or dirt build up but I suspect it's fan motor issues.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #3

I have the same series as yours and while on a trip the fan blew apart. Before hand their was a noise like something out of balance and mine probably was until it just broke apart. It's a squirrel cage looking fan and from outside of your coach if you open the door and look inside, you will see a black plastic semi round cover. Removing it you will see the fan. Rotate it by hand and look for broken blades, whether cracked or parts missing. Or, you might just see it broke without even touching it. I was in Phoenix and had to call a RV tech to fix it. I know how now. It is kind of tough to reach and you will need a long extension of sorts to remove small bolts and or screws maybe both, I forget now. The fan itself, at least on mine is just fitted over a collar with a large hose clamp. You have to reach around a corner to install a new one.
If it breaks while running, like mine. You have to open the vent intake door, inside your coach, and clean up plastic before running the furnace to make sure broken pieces don't get hung up with the new fan installed.
I see now someone else has responded and it looks to be good info for you as well. Keep us posted. I was just over to Deer Park this last weekend. I would of gone over to CDA to help you if the timing was right. Most folks probably don't know that CDA is Couer de Alane, ID. I just learned that, LOL
edge68474 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like I need to find a technician, pronto. However, I'm in La Pine Oregon (1 hour south of Bend) and no one is willing to drive this far to help. I'm paid thru the 30th of this month; hopefully it will last another week!!?!
Old 09-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #5

IF it is the motor and a replacement is out of production you could take the old motor to an electric motor repair shop. They do work on large irrigation pumps to small hand tool type equipment. Good luck getting it fixed before it gets too cold. BTW, my son lives in Klamath Falls. So, I knew exactly where you are.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:17 PM   #6

Take off that half round plastic cover, then you can see fan and motor you can get a bit of wd40 into the bearings and that might put off the inevitable for a while. A new motor is in your future. Replacing the fan and motor is not that difficult and it is possible to do it without removing the furnace
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Miraculous Recovery (furnace)

I posted last week about my Atwood furnace making all sorts of noise; clunking, chirping, rattling. Kept me awake at night. I scheduled a mobile tech appointment... however, in the middle of the night, sound asleep, the furnace kicked on and made this horrible screeching and rattling sound; I sat straight up in bed. The noise finally settled down, I slept the rest of the night, and low and behold, NO MORE NOISE. The recovery was a miracle! LOL!

I'm quite sure it was a mouse. I have bait in the basement, and they've nibbled on it. I think, as the mouse dried out, the noise changed in the blower, and then, the blower finally just blew him out! Crazy!
I still have the appointment with the mobile tech, just in case it is something else.

Just thought you'd wanna know!
Old 09-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #8

Thanks for the update. If things change for the worse please let us know. Years ago in the house fridge a mouse got trapped between the fan and housing. It's been too long to remember the specifics. I removed him and all sounded well again.
Yeah, a miracle huh. I hope that does it for you. Good Luck.
edge68474 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, atwood, furnace, noise