Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2023, 07:35 AM   #1

Atwood Furnace Problems

Hello all, I recently purchased a 2017 Thor Windsport and have been experiencing furnace issues. The furnace was rarely used by the previous owner. The furnace seems to start up properly at first but smells like it is running rich, like it is not getting enough oxygen. There is not an air filter. The air coming out of the vents is cool, not even warm. I pulled the gas valve out and checked the solenoid with 12 volts and it opens, I blew through it and it doesn't seem to have any restrictions, the orfice is clear. I checked the diaphram and it had no resistance turning the screw. I kept tightening it up and reinstalling and the heat got better but by the time I got decent heat the diaphram was all the way in but the exhaust still smelled outside. I left it going through the night and seemed great but I woke up to the furnace running and blowing out cold air. I just turned it off. I didn't check to see if burner was running, but due to the cold air coming out, I assumed it was out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Greg
greggoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2023, 07:45 AM   #2

Firstly, locate the service manual - you can look in the Files section of this site, or bryantsrv.com, and there are others.

2nd - if the screw you were turning was a screw for an adjustable regulator, then you just opened a big can of worms. Hopefully the manual will tell you how to adjust to the proper pressure, or it may be easier to just get a new valve/regulator.

You say it smelled like it was top running rich - but then you didn’t have any heat - not sure what that means.

Double check that the burner tube is free and clear of spider webs/dirt dauber buildup. The flow of gas through that tube is very sensitive.

If you need more help - confirm the model number of furnace to us.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:54 PM   #3

the model is 32836. There is not a service manual that came with it. The burner tube is clean... now. It had a small circle of black soot but was not plugged, I cleaned that. The screw I turned was in the gas valve. I counted the number of turns so I can return it to the origional position. I have the coach hooked up to a 500 gallon propane tank that has a low pressure regulator and it is hooked directly into the coaches system. The burners on the stove and oven are solid blue and appears they are ok. The furnace was blowing out black soot and when I adjusted the gas valve, it wasn't blowing the soot out but just smelled of aldehydes.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:58 PM   #4

Having trouble identifying your furnace but - sooting and flame issues is generally always caused by low LP pressure.

Confirm you are getting 11” w.g. LP pressure to the furnace.

No argument with your setup from a fixed tank - but you just need to make sure the furnace is seeing the needed pressure. Furnaces burn LP differently than cooktop burners and are more sensitive to proper pressures.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:45 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try cleaning the heat exchanger by blowing it out with air. Wasps/mud daubers like to build nests in it.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Having trouble identifying your furnace but - sooting and flame issues is generally always caused by low LP pressure.

Confirm you are getting 11” w.g. LP pressure to the furnace.

No argument with your setup from a fixed tank - but you just need to make sure the furnace is seeing the needed pressure. Furnaces burn LP differently than cooktop burners and are more sensitive to proper pressures.
Thanks for the help Mark. I ordered a wc pressure gauge and will check pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230208_134121.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	386078  

Tags
ace, atwood, ems, furnace, problem, problems