Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #1

Atwood G6A8E Water Heater Issues

Hi there,
Maybe someone can help me. I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with a Atwood G6A8E water heater that has worked just fine for years. Well before going on any long trips we usually go on a camping trip for a couple weeks to make sure everything is working properly. The WH came on but wasn't heating the water very hot (just warm) and wasn't staying on very long. So I dropped the cover to take a look. The Brown wire on the right side going to the thermostat appeared to be heat damaged right where it connects to the thermostat. I moved it around and sure enough it started right up. But didn't run long so I got on Amazon and ordered a new stat and ECO kit. In the meantime I spliced a piece of wire and new connector. And moved the stat around to seal it. Turned on and it ran for a bit then started melting the wire I put on. I shut it down till I get home and replace stat and ECO.
I guess my question is does anyone think the new parts will solve my problem?? Or is there something else going on?
Ezdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #2

High resistance causes excessive heat in wire ---melting insulation

When you get the new set of T-stats make sure tank wall is clean, T-stat/ECO held tight to tank wall and that the Spade connectors are clean/tight on the terminals

Should have Brown wire to Thermal Cut out (fuse in clear tubing) to T-stat
Then from T-stat Brown wire to circuit board

Red wire from Circuit Board to ECO>>>from ECO to gas valve

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #3

Atwood G6A8E Water Heater Issues

Well, I bought all new parts including control box and installed. Everything was working fine, WH was heating and shutting off. Went out on a camp and the ECO cutoff got hot and failed, found loose connection and replaced. All fine for a few days. DW went to shower and no hot water? Dropped cover and wires were burnt. Got another thermostat and ECO and installed. Worked fine for a week but would cycle every 15 minutes or so. Today no hot water, ECO and stat burnt up and when checked were on fire. Blew out the fire. Turned off and disconnected. Ordered new stat and ECO. What could be causing this? As always, thank you for any info.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:25 PM   #4

Need to do 2 Voltage Measurements

Voltmeter set to DC Voltage
Measure DC voltage from switch to Circuit Board (Brown Wire)
*DC Voltage from Converter/Battery

Voltmeter set to AC Voltage
Measure AC voltage from switch to Circuit Board (Brown Wire)
*AC Ripple on the DC System from Converter
**High AC Ripple on DC System is damaging and caused by failing converter

Melting wires......high amps/high resistance etc
Old 09-30-2022, 11:33 AM   #5

Thank you for your reply. I have shut off WH and unplugged the brown wire from Tstat fuse link and also unplugged from circuit board.
How do I go about measuring DC and AC voltage with voltmeter?
Old 09-30-2022, 12:41 PM   #6

I have a Xantrex 458 inverter/charger is that the converter you're talking about?
Old 09-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezdan View Post
I have a Xantrex 458 inverter/charger is that the converter you're talking about?

NO.

If you have an Inverter/charger then you do not have a Converter

So when on Shore Power or Not on shore power your Batteries supply the DC System
No issue with AC Ripple when using Batteries

Melting wiring.....high resistance/bad connections, bad ground

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater