Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Once again-----
Fused DC to On/Off switches (electric/propane) is SAME source
Propane works so Fused DC is OK

No DC on WHITE wire to top connector on circuit board then need to verify electric on/off switch is good

I am getting no DC voltage at the switch mentioned above. I know I have a good ground and when I check both terminals on the switch I get just a few milli-amps.

This on/off switch is a simple single pole single throw switch.

I know you mentioned that since the propane portion of the water heater is working the DC portion must be OK. But I'm positive there is no DC power to the water heater on/off switch and I checked the white wire on the circuit board and there is no voltage there either.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I am getting no DC voltage at the switch mentioned above. I know I have a good ground and when I check both terminals on the switch I get just a few milli-amps.

This on/off switch is a simple single pole single throw switch.

I know you mentioned that since the propane portion of the water heater is working the DC portion must be OK. But I'm positive there is no DC power to the water heater on/off switch and I checked the white wire on the circuit board and there is no voltage there either.

Standard wiring is ONE 12V DC feed to both switches....DC goes to one and then is jumpered to other

Then again RV MFGs do things differently.

With just a SPST then it must have it's own DC feed so back to Scavenger Hunt and find where it is fed from.
Good luck cause DC Fuses are rarely labeled.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #17

I did find a fuse labeled water heater - it's on the multi-plex fuse box located in the battery compartment. The fuse checks good but still no power to the switch.

There is only one switch for the water heater - a simple single pole single throw - on/off switch. I know the diagram show differently but that's how mine is wired.

I don't understand the multi-plex system but I suspect something within that system is causing the switch to be unpowered.

Any ideas?
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #18

Timjet,

Did you test each side of the fuse?.....if you did, is there another fuse in the Battery Control Center in your coach that if bad, will cut DC power to the switch?

Can you call your coach builder ans get your DC wiring schematic for your make and model?
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #19

Only one switch ????
There is ONE switch for ELECTRIC and ONE switch for PROPANE ---that is shown on diagram with ONE common DC Supply.
(but RV mfgs do it there way)

Have you pulled the Propane Switch out and checked how it is wired?
Could be DC goes to the Propane Switch then jumper to Electric Switch..bad/loose/missing jumper

Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Timjet,

Did you test each side of the fuse?.....if you did, is there another fuse in the Battery Control Center in your coach that if bad, will cut DC power to the switch?

Can you call your coach builder ans get your DC wiring schematic for your make and model?

I got the water heater working. Yes I did test both the supply and fused side of the circuit and it is and was powered. There is something within the multiplex system causing the loss of power to the switch. I unplugged power to the multiplex cpu and replugged it in. When I replugged it back in I got a very strong flash of light and a pop. None of the lights in the coach worked for about 2 minutes then everything went back to normal including getting power back to the switch. Water heater working. I'm going to call REV and ask them for info on the multiplex system.

Quote:
Only one switch ????

Yes only one switch that controls power to the relay and it's located below the bathroom sink. However there is a separate push button switch to start the propane portion of the water heater located on a multiplex panel which also has several other light push button switches and a fan switch in the same panel. Next to that panel located in the kitchen area is the no fire propane light.

I'm attempting to get info on the multiplex system and how it controls the water heater and what ever else it controls.

Thanks guys for helping me on this. I'll post further info as I get it.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #21

Quote:

I believe if you remove the jumper wire from your diagram above and in it's place have a wire to 12 v from each switch separately you will have the diagram of my coach.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #22

Thanks for the update!

Glad you have isolated the issue.....and it is working at least for now.

RV MFGs ------why can't they just use simple/straightforward wiring schemes vs 'multipex' systems.
Point A to point B---done
Old 09-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #23

10..4 timjet....glad its working and old bisquit.....thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater