Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Atwood levelers -levelegs system not working on Fleetwood Storm 31A

Hi to all on this forum-we have a 2005 Fleetwood Storm 31 A with 19K miles on it. We are very excited about using the motorhome, unfortunately, as we were doing a precheck prior to actually going out with the rig we discover that the leveling system is not working. We have spoken to service personnel where we got the unit and they walked us through some possible solutions but none of them worked. We also talked to Atwood service, and although they were very helpful with possible solutions none of them worked.

We have the 4 green lights flashing but nothing seems to get the jacks to move at all. Atwood service had made a suggestion about disconnecting the wire harness going into an individual jack which we did. We then tried to operate the system but to no avail. We reconnected the wire harness to the jack and tried again but to no avail. We have tried both the auto and the manual mode to no avail.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and have a nice weekend Bob
Janebob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Parking brake on?? Engine running?? Some of these have a lockout that it won't operate without parking brake on.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may have already tried the procedures in the attached document, but I'm posting it just in case it might be useful.

I would also try rebooting the main control board by disconnecting the power supply for 30 seconds or so, and then reconnecting. I'm not familiar with your coach, but the board is usually mounted on the ceiling of one of the cargo bays.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood Levelegs Service Tips.pdf (217.3 KB, 487 views)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We bought this coach with Atwood level legs, about a year and a half ago, seems like nothing put a problem. Can't tell you how many times the right front won't retract.

I have learned a couple of things. 1. The 30 second reboot (at the controller under the rig helped reset things. I was guilty of pushing buttons like a kid on grandmas piano when it wouldn't retract. Finally 10 minutes, maybe 30 it would retract.
2. I was hitting the two retract buttons at once for a nanosecond. Now I hold both down for about 30 seconds.
One more thing, now I wait 30 seconds between each operation. By that I mean I turn it on.....wait, push extend all and hold button down for 30 seconds. Wait, wait, wait seems to work better. Haven't had an issue for a couple of months now.
I also tried wooden blocks under the feet....seemed to hurt more than it helped. When it rebooted it counts turns down then up. Adding blocks messed up the "home" count. I will use them on real soft or bad slope, but not otherwise.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

yes rv was running and in park---used procedure suggested by BobGed and now the jacks are working. thanks to all that replied with suggesstions
Old 07-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

we tried the attached procedure-atwood levellegs tips- and it seems to have worked thank you for your reply could you comment more on
rebooting the main control board?? can't seem to find anything referring to that, look for it but was unsuccessful.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I called Atwood and spoke to a support engineer, she recommended the reboot. Specifically, she said to find the main module ( on my rig located under the coach). She said to disconnect the electrical going to the module for 30 seconds then reconnect. I ask if I couldn't pull a fuse and accomplish the same thing? I didn't want to crawl under the coach, and risk activating the air dump. She said no.

I took it to a local RV shop, they had a pit, and they did it for me. I can say this, I don't know what it did, but it sure sounded different the next time I used it.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #8

What do you mean by: the main module ( on my rig located under the coach)??? I'm pretty sure you don't mean disconnect the wire harness. For what it's worth I did disconnect the wire harness and got the jacks down. When I came back to motorhome later I noticed that the red and green light to the left of the driver symbol were blinking.

Was just out the wife and we disconnected the wire harness and waited for a short period of time, then reconnected. Unfortunately the jacks remained in the down position with the red and green light in the upper left still blinking. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not being much of a mechanical person am very short on patience as my wife will quickly tell you.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Here is the Atwood diagram, note the controller module in the middle. They said they were located Nader the rig if you didn't find them somewhere on the floor in a compartment.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469100532.198539.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	133747
Old 07-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

I'm going to school on this thread since I have the same system in my 2005 Bounder. The previous owner had stopped using it since it was going into some sort of alarm mode which called for crawling under the vehicle to pull one of the jack cables and going through the 14 step process to reset (or something).

However, since we bought the motorhome in April we have been using it without incident, although not without trepidation. I put boards under the jacks so that they won't have to extend so much, but I don't know if that's helping anything. Every time I use it and it works I gain a little more confidence in the system, but it also seems like a good idea to learn all I can about it so I'm prepared when it malfunctions.

I have noticed as well that the controller board seems to require very deliberate button pushes, which I had attributed to dirty contacts, but maybe that's not it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for taking a bit of the mystery out of this thing. Keep the info coming!

Charlie
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #11

I realize this post is older; however, I have a similar issue with my Atwood levelers not working properly on my 2005 South wind 32V. I have tried the reset procedure given by the Atwood tech with no help. Left rear light is blinking when all jacks are in up position. Sometimes when I start the coach all the jacks click and seem to go in the "home" up position and the panel is dark. When I step on the driving brake pedal the panel turns on, lights up and the alarm chirps. I turn off the panel until the next time I brake (annoying) I'm thinking the park brake sensor is part of the problem? I can level the coach using each jack separate, it will not auto level. It is in storage so I will use some of the tips here soon to figure out the problem.
Medic91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, fleetwood, levelers