Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

ATwood water heater.

Did our first camping trip this year, which was just fantastic. But when I turned on the water heater inside the light inside goes on fine. But it doesn't heat the water.

Using the gas it heats fine. Checked the inside circut breaker which was ok. At the water heater there a small circuit board in the upper right side. Which
has a very small auto fuse 2A. This was hard to tell at camp if it was blown or not. As I did not have my volt meter I could not verify or not. All other wire connections to a fro seem to be fine.

Any other ideas.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

Give a bit more info such as make and year of unit. Newer models that are equipped with electric capability most times have a switch either on the panel near the system info or actually a on/off switch at the water heater. Most time the solid red light is for gas operation. Just something to look at while you are posting your info.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

My Jayco has an Atwood, but there are two switches inside the camper. Some buddies have one switch inside (gas) and a second out in the hot water heater compartment (electric). If you are sure the switch you are throwing is for electric, I think you are on the right path in looking for fuses.
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #4

Please don't take this the wrong way but you were plugged into shore line for power? The light on the panel may light with 12v from your battery but the water heater needs 110 volts to heat.
Matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #5

1. Yes I was plugged into shore power.
2. It has 2 inside switches, One for the gas, one for electric water heater.
3. THis is a factory installed ATwood from Dutchman in a 2013 trailer. It the 6gallon dual gas/electric model.
4. Don't see any switches at the water heater itself.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
1. Yes I was plugged into shore power.
2. It has 2 inside switches, One for the gas, one for electric water heater.
3. THis is a factory installed ATwood from Dutchman in a 2013 trailer. It the 6gallon dual gas/electric model.
4. Don't see any switches at the water heater itself.
The gas switch off and electric on for water heater use in electric. Since you already know the gas works the electric may be the heating element in the tank.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #7

Probably a burned out element, easy to check with a multimeter, or just replace it, at cheap fix $10 bucks or so.
Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #8

I only used it on 4 or 5 trips, could the element be burnt out already?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
I only used it on 4 or 5 trips, could the element be burnt out already?
They burn out quick if they are ever turned on with no water in the tank.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

If you have the same Atwood dual switch control heater that I do, the inside control panel light isn't supposed to come on unless something is wrong, like the burner didn't ignite. It sounds like something is wrong. Do you have the owner's manual?
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #11

In my case the light comes on when it the heater is "on" or has power. The 2nd switch is light when gas is active or "on".

I not sure about having the heat element turned on with no water... But would be a cheap fix.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I think I have the 10 gallon version of your water heater. I have read through a diagnostic PDF that I downloaded some time ago, but it doesn't help much other than to document how the electric switch has moved from the back of the water heater to a remote switch, and that the separate thermostat on the back of the tank for the 110v heating element was dropped around 2002. It appears that the same ECO and thermostat controls both gas and 110v operation, which makes sense. There should not be a difference in the temp of the hot water if the same thermostat is used. Recovery time will apparently be longer with 110v, but the ultimate temp should be the same.

Your heater probably has the same schematic attached to the tank as mine. The white wire brings 12v+ from the control panel 110v switch. The yellow wire goes to the relay that switches 110v to the heating element.

Do not jumper the two wires together while they are attached to the control module - it will burn out the gas control circuitry. I learned that the hard way, and you might see my post about Camping World's ridiculous pricing for the control module elsewhere on the forum. Whatever. Pull the two harness plugs off of the control module and jumper the white and yellow wires (after confirming that they are indeed the same on your water heater) together. I can hear an audible click when the relay closes, but of course the relay will close and click even if the heating element is faulty. My electric element heated the water to very, very hot in about 90 minutes. I suspect you should have noticeably warm water (starting from ambient) in about half an hour. DO NOT walk away and forget about your test - with the jumper in place, there is no thermostat controlling the 110v heater element. It will stay on, I suspect even to the point of boiling the water out of the heater tank.

Testing with the jumper will tell you if your water heater is capable of running on 110v. Knowing that I have a good 12v signal from the 110v hot water heater switch and that the relay and element are in working order, I started probing the control module and the yellow wire. It turns out that the contact in the harness plug was not making a good connection to the control module. My method was a little barbaric, but I pushed the contact out a bit with a knife blade and I now have 12v going to my relay. I should know in a half hour or so if I have restored 110v operation.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Improving the contact between the harness plug and the control module did the trick. We have 110v hot water. I suspect that was the problem all along - our 2004 water heater still used the pc board edge connectors. The new module has a proper Molex connector and an adapter for use with the edge connector harness. It is tempting to solder the wires to the adapter and be rid of the edge style connectors.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heater, water, water heater