Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #29

I had a bugger of a time removing the nylon plug in our WH , it literally came out in pieces . The PO apparently never drained the tank for 15 years , since it was stored in a heated shop
since new.

Replaced with a brass plug with teflon tape . I used to remove the plug every winter and clean the threads in the tank bung . Since the pressure relief valve is brass , what's the difference?

In addition , I added a 120v heater , HottRod , that goes in the drain plug hole and it's reducer is brass. I remove it every winter just like the plug .

No corrosion issues in the 5 years we've owned the rig.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Without meaning to dispute what has been said about brass & aluminum, in practice it is rarely a problem in RV heaters. Camco & Valterra have been selling brass petcocks for heaters for a good 20 years and there must be thousands of them installed. And the PT valve in your tank is probably brass too

Galvanic corrosion of brass-aluminum is typically minimal to non-existent unless other factors are present, e.g. high alkalinity on the water, or stray electrical currents in the chassis. And yes, those do happen, and when they do, a heater tank can literally crumble away.

I'm not suggesting that a brass plug is an ok thing to use - just trying to add some perspective and avoid yet another internet-induced panic. Personally I only use nylon drain plugs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I had a bugger of a time removing the nylon plug in our WH , it literally came out in pieces . The PO apparently never drained the tank for 15 years , since it was stored in a heated shop
since new.
If the plug breaks off, here's a handy tool to help remove it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Riser-Extractor/3420774
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Ironically, the T&P valve is made of brass. But when my bag of nylon drain plugs arrives on Tuesday that Brass drain valve is coming out.
A couple of weeks ago I got into a discussion about whether the plugs were in fact nylon or plastic. I was under the impression they were nylon but it turns out not to be the case. Seems they are white plastic. Let us know what yours are made of.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #33

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Mine broke off too. To get the inside portion out I used the tool you use on sprinkler risers when they break off.
The tool is available at any hardware store.
Worked great, but mine wasn’t glued in.
I didn’t use any glue or Teflon tape and mine sealed up nice
Behannig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #35

Impact gun !
Old 05-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #36

Galvanic corrosion

The Anodic index lists the metals position of being a sacrificial metal. Gold is at the top at 0 and Beryllium is at the bottom at -1.85. Put steel in a aluminum tank and the aluminum becomes the the sacrificial anode. It is a interesting chart.

I was at a ramblin' pushers maintenance rally and a man was selling sacrificial anodes for Atwood water heaters. I questioned his theory and he lied in his response. Aluminum is at -0.75 on the list. Any metal above it will cause the aluminum tank to become the sacrificial and can cause a hole to form. Brass is at -0.40, eating away the aluminum. I have isolated my aluminum from any contact with lower rated metals, like your residential water heater is isolated from copper pipe.

Look up Anodic index on Galvanic corrosion on Wikipedia

Gary 05 AMB DST
gryhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #37

Quote:
So my first bad is/was an incorrect assumption about HWH tank metals. Thank God for IRV2 or I would still be a dummy about that.
So in trying to assist an IRV2 peer I now recognize I have my own problem to get fixed. That is, to get that brass valve out of my aluminum HWH tank. Thanks IRV2!!!
According to the chart Brass is ok with Al
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #38

Air powered ratchet wrench - I bought one at Harbor Freight for under $20 to get the heating element out of my water heater - One tap and out it came.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #39

If the hex is still there try using a six point socket and an impact driver
RobertRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:24 PM   #40

Brass plug

Quote:
So my first bad is/was an incorrect assumption about HWH tank metals. Thank God for IRV2 or I would still be a dummy about that.
So in trying to assist an IRV2 peer I now recognize I have my own problem to get fixed. That is, to get that brass valve out of my aluminum HWH tank. Thanks IRV2!!!
According to the chart brass is fine
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombottcat View Post
i replaced mine with brass 5 years ago and remove and drain every trip i just use Teflon tape and have had zero problems was wondering why you frown on the brass replacement plugs ?
I did the same with mine. I could not get the plastic plugs to stop leaking. For whatever reason I could not get the atwood plugs to start. There was not enough taper. I had another plug that had more taper but it would not stop leaking. I even tried to use a tap on it but it still would not work. I now use a brass plug with teflon tape and it seals and comes out fine when I drain tank. I know I should use plastic but I could not make it work.
Heating man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I didn't read all comments but have you tried a socket for square head that most of these plugs are made with. A 12point will only work on fairly loose ones.
I have rigged a setup for 1/2 or 3/4 head plugs with square end of socket and nut with matching nut and socket.
Actually the original plug has a 6-point/flat head, a 6-point socket works best.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heater, water heater, water, heat