Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #1

Atwood water heater - immediate fault light (gas)

13-year old Atwood GC6AA-10E hot water heater. 120 VAC works fine. The gas mode shows an immediate fault (red light comes on) when turning on the remote switch. No clicks from the heater; no typical 3 times and then fault. Just immediate red light. It had been working OK until just before the end of last camping season, although it usually took two or three of the "3 strikes and you're out" cycles for initial startup after a lengthy shutdown.

My suspicion is that the control module on the heater has failed, but I would like to trouble-shoot / verify before ordering that part. I have found some YouTube videos about troubleshooting the sparker, thermostat, safety fuse, etc, but nothing about the control module. Can anyone offer any tips about what to look for, or guidance if I am heading in the wrong direction.

I have ordered a new gas tube and thermostat to replace those old components.

Thanks.
jacksonmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem several times over the years. I get a can of contact cleaner, Deoxit works best, then I disconnect every wire connection, spray it with a little cleaner and reconnect it. If you turned the heater off first then turn it on and it will probably work. If it doesn't then you can troubleshoot.

See if the water is already very hot. It could be the overheat sensor being triggered. Does the gas stove work?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

ONly thing that sets an Immediate Fault Light is the ECO OPEN or Power Track on circuit board faulty

To Test ECO....remove Red wires from it and jumper them together (bypassing ECO for test fire)
Turn On Gas switch...no fault light...flame lights/stays lit ---Replace ECO

Still get Immediate Fault Light...then reconnect Red Wires and test circuit board
See Pg 23 in Link
http://www.rvrepairmanual.com/manual...er-Heaters.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #4

WOW! That's great information. Thank you very much. Looks like I have my tasks set for Monday morning (RV is behind locked storage gate for the weekend).
Old 06-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #5

Just wanted to say thanks again because your answer gave me the insight how to troubleshoot the circuit board, which was defective. Purchased a new one (it's pricey!!!), installed it today along with a new burner tube to replace the old, rusted one. I got a Dinosaur replacement for the original Atwood circuit board. The water heater is working again.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the Update and resolution!

Did you get the UIB 64 Dino?
Roughly $122

Atwood OEM....lower quality and more costly
$175 if you can find them

Better off with the Dino Board!!!
Old 06-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #7

Yes, I got the Dino, but price in Canada is $CAD300.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonmacd View Post
Yes, I got the Dino, but price in Canada is $CAD300.

Double the US pricing

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
atwood, gas, heat, heater, light, water, water heater