Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Automatic Changeover Propane Regulator Problem

My trailer has two 30# propane tanks connected to a two stage Fairview automatic changeover regulator. The regulator has two inputs (one from each tank) and one output to the trailer appliances.

For some reason one (and only one) of the tanks is connected in series to a red colored regulator which is then connected to the automatic changeover regulator. The other tank is connected directly to the automatic changeover regulator. My problem is that most of the time I can not get propane out of the automatic changeover regulator when it switches (manually or automatically) to the tank with the red regulator. I'm wondering if the red regulator was mistakenly installed and should be removed??
eng-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

Have no idea what that extra regulator is or what it's for. If it were me, I'd give the person that installed it the benefit of the doubt as to reason and assume it was to somehow regulate that side of the switchover regulator, but to be absolutely sure the the delivered pressure is within tolerance, I'd buy a new switchover, they are not really that expensive IMHO

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #3

This is normal. You didn't say but you have a fifth wheel with one cylinder on one side and the other one on the other side along with the auto change over regulator, right?

DOT cylinders can be up to 350PSI, so there is a black pipe across the width of the trailer, under your feet up to 350PSI. That is, until, the factory installed a high pressure regulator. The term "high pressure" is relative, and reduces it down to 10, 15, or maybe 30PSI. The model on the red regulator will say what the rating it. It's just for safety, so you don't have a long pipe of 350PSI LP all the way from one side to the other.

Now, there are tests to see if that regulator is bad or not. Basically, swap tanks, see if that works. Then take lines loose and see where you do and don't have LP.
Also, a certified LP technician should only be doing this, but that's up to you.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. The problem is on my 5th wheel and the tanks are on opposite sides infront. You make a good point, I am NOT going to remove the regulator because the pipe does in fact run through the top of the front storage compartment. I think I will check for propane coming into the auto switch regulator from the tank that has the extra regulator by very slightly loosening its input to the auto switchover regulator, and checking for gas with soap bubbles.
eng-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
KIX

When you open the valve to turn a tank or cylinder on do it slowly. If the pipe connecting the remote tank to the auto regulator is at 0 psi when you turn the tank on it may slug the excess flow valve. The excess flow is in the tank valve to shut the tank off in the event of a downstream line rupture. That length of line filling with pressure may be interpreted by the excess flow as a leak. So.......shut the valve off......wait 30 sec. then slowly open the valve.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane