Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

Aux heat blowing fuses

My HR has a blower and heat exchanger under the bed to provide 'aux heat' to the rear of the MH from engine coolant.

On my last trip it appeared to be not working. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and it immediately blew.

Disconnected the plug at the blower under the bed. After replacing the fuse, I measured the voltage and got battery voltage.

Measured the resistance on the motor side of the plug and got 0 ohms.

After removing a few screws on the housing it became apparent this is one of those cases where the heat exchanger was installed and the bed frame built around it.

I do have a sawsall and an angle grinder. I can get it out.

As far as way to keep the MH warm going down the road, it not very effective. Like the dash heat. Little heat exchanger, big MH.

Can anyone think of easy fixes or should I put the bed down and call it a day?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Is it possible to reach in there and remove and replace only the blower motor? My thought is that maybe there is enough room to do that but not enough for the entire heater unit.

I am with you though considering to put the bed down and call it a day, I would make that decision based on how much value the heater provided anyway. For myself and for example, I don't RV all that often in the winter and the propane furnace has no issues keeping up when\if needed, so in my case, I would just consider it a "possible" future project for me when more time allows.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you heading element is a "dead short".
Can you rewire to just run the fan and rule it out as the culprit ?
That would prove the point.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Is it possible to reach in there and remove and replace only the blower motor? My thought is that maybe there is enough room to do that but not enough for the entire heater unit.

I am with you though considering to put the bed down and call it a day, I would make that decision based on how much value the heater provided anyway. For myself and for example, I don't RV all that often in the winter and the propane furnace has no issues keeping up when\if needed, so in my case, I would just consider it a "possible" future project for me when more time allows.
That's a good idea.

It looks like the end caps that the vent hoses connect to can slide out of the housing. I can see the motor when shining a light in the vent.

However, I will still have to cut a larger hole in the bed frame than the existing vent hole to get clearance.

I am full time and try to avoid places where I need to run propane furnace. One of the places I go in the winter has a motor rewind shop that does a better job than a cheap new motor from China.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Sounds like you heading element is a "dead short".
The heating element is not electric.

Got heater hoses from the radiator running all over my vintage MH. One goes from the rear to the the heater core in the dash.

Another goes to hot water heater and one to the bedroom 'aux heater'.

Another discussion on this site discussed 'aux heat' as an option on their MH. An expensive option.

One comment got me thinking. What happens if you break a heater hose inside your MH.

So 'free' heat of the engine is going to cost the price of a new motor. On the other hand capping off the heater hoses prevents breaking a heater.

So as I head south, I am going to be evaluating other ways to stay warm while driving.

So thanks for getting to think out of the box.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have about the same auxiliary heater running off the engine coolant. It sounds like the fan motor is shot.

I have two additional way to heat my MH going down the road.
1) run propane furance
2) run electric space heater and run generator.

On some cold drives, we have run the dash and auxiliary heater, plus had the propane furance on.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I have two additional way to heat my MH going down the road.
1) run propane furance
2) run electric space heater and run generator.

On some cold drives, we have run the dash and auxiliary heater, plus had the propane furance on.
I will try that.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #8

If your unit is similar to the one in my previous '03 Adventurer it could be that the squirrel cage fan has moved on the shaft and is binding against the motor.

Tags
fuse, fuses, heat