Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #1

Bad Smell Dometic 310

So our Renegade villagio has had a smell that we can not get rid of. we recently purchased the unit used. we cleaned everything I pulled the toilet cleaned underneath and the next day still had a bad smell. i finally pulled the toilet and took the plastic bottom of and there it was dark yellow pools of urine awful smell. so don't want a 2 piece toilet or at least no plastic! anyone have any good recommendations for us ?
any help would be great

MN
muddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My brother in law had the same issue. He called Dometic and while he had to sit on hold for about an hour, (we were camping together at the time so we enjoyed a few cocktails and listened to the hold music) Dometic sent him a new unit free of charge.

From what I’ve seen on the forum it seems mileage may vary on this but it’s worth a call (and the hold time) to see if they will send the newer model replacement.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddster
... I finally pulled the toilet and took the plastic bottom of and there it was dark yellow pools of urine awful smell. so don't want a 2 piece toilet or at least no plastic! anyone have any good recommendations for us ?
any help would be great
The title says "Dometic 310" but you wrote that the bottom half of the toilet is plastic.

The Dometic 310 has a porcelain base, not plastic.

The Dometic 300 is all plastic and is infamous for the exact problem you're having. The Dometic 310 does not have the smell or urine accumulation problem.

The 310 needs just a bit more depth than the 300 and many people have successfully replaced the 300 with the 310 as a drop-in.

Ray
Old 10-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

Dometic 310

Hey Ray,
The 310 is a porcelain top and plastic base. So it basically does the same as the 300 it wicks under the bowl base between the top and bottom then pools inside.

From the manual:
Factory-sealed bowl-to-base assembly – Unlike other Dometic foot-pedal toilets, the ceramic bowl and plastic base of the model 310 toilet should not be separated for any reason
Old 10-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddster View Post
Hey Ray,
The 310 is a porcelain top and plastic base. So it basically does the same as the 300 it wicks under the bowl base between the top and bottom then pools inside.

From the manual:
Factory-sealed bowl-to-base assembly – Unlike other Dometic foot-pedal toilets, the ceramic bowl and plastic base of the model 310 toilet should not be separated for any reason
Correct.....

Thetford Aqua Magic....Residential, Style II, Style PLUS
Direct Replacements of Dometic 300/310/320 series
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #6

Thank you!

I will look Into the Thetford Aqua Magic
Old 10-17-2021, 04:01 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might also look at a bad air admittance valve, something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Su...9230/205395535

There should be one under each sink.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #8

studor vent

Hey Lowflyer, we do not have studor vents. The sinks and showers vent thru the roof on this unit. So we ordered a Thetford Aqua Style PLUS. since I pulled the toilet and plugged the tank waiting for our new unit it has been odor free!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Hey Lowflyer, we do not have studor vents. The sinks and showers vent thru the roof on this unit. So we ordered a Thetford Aqua Style PLUS. since I pulled the toilet and plugged the tank waiting for our new unit it has been odor free!
Surprised no Air Admittance Valves.....
Usually on sink drain line After the 'P' trap
Helps prevent 'P' trap from getting sucked dry when dumping waste tank

Your sink/showers have direct vent lines to roof PLUS waste tank vent lines???

Glad you isolated the stink!
Now is a good time to modify water supply line to toilet and add shutoff valve
Old 10-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #10

Vent lines

Yes we vent to roof so studor vents are not needed. The roof vents keep the traps from suction on tank empty.

Black water tank is also vented to roof. So no stupor vent..

With the stupor vents in the cabin don't you get the smell from the waste tank??
Old 10-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes we vent to roof so studor vents are not needed. The roof vents keep the traps from suction on tank empty.

Black water tank is also vented to roof. So no stupor vent..

With the stupor vents in the cabin don't you get the smell from the waste tank??
They open when there is negative pressure in the drain line from flow.
Then they close.

When they fail (common with the CHEAP Junk ones RV MFGs use) then you do smell the grey tank---or black when a sink drain goes to black tank

Tags
dometic, smell