Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

batteries and solar charging

I've poked around and did not find any info on batteries being kept charged by a solar panel and what might be the needed maintenance. For instance, how often should one check the fluid level in the battery?

And another thing, our used 5er was delivered with one battery even though there is a place for two. The dealer said two were not necessary due to the solar setup. I have two neighbors who both have solar panels and two batteries. Who is right?

One last question, are there any "best" batteries for an RV? Two nearby sources claim Interstate.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

The solar panel electrical output will determine the charge rate. If you are just storing the unit with no other source of power my experience is that it maintains. If dry camping then use is high and solar my not keep up therefore two batteries allow you to use more energy. If you are always hooked to AC power then the battery is allowing the refer to run while traveling. Battery main thence is important add distiller water only and only when the batteries are fully charged. I have only used Interstate and never had a problem. Happy camping.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Thanks, I have to read up on the solar panel and the controller or whatever you call it. We are heading out for a few weeks and will most likely always have hookups or at least power and water. My long term plan is to be able to dry camp at some nearby lakes now and then so two batteries are on the list.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #4

If you just want enough solar to do long weekends of dry camping or a few days of dry camping between staying in parks with hookups, then one 140 watt panel and two 12-volt batteries with a 10-amp charge controller will do just fine.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

For now I expect two nights would be the max for any dry camping since my wife is not keen on the idea. Will have wait and see how it goes.

We purchased the fifth used so I am still working on it. A few things need to be repaired that were not pointed out by the dealer we got it from. I think the solar panel is 180 watt but have yet to find the info on it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Our class A coach has a 110w solar panel with a Blue-Sly 2000E 25amp charge controller. It adequately maintains the 4 6v deep cycle golf cart batteries in our coach.

I usually check the water every couple of weeks or so. If you have room for 2 batteries, I would highly recommend using 2 6v deep cycle golf cart batteries connected in series.

Good luck with the repair project on your Fiver

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, solar